Cooling question on a GT, N/A

racebronco2

Established Member
What i have found is the ambient temps have more do do with how the cool the car runs more then anything else. You cannot compare 80* ambient temps to running close to 100* ambient temps.

sn95Cobrakai

Established Member

sn95Cobrakai, is the track you run is it a slower or faster track? What is the average speed?

Sirl and sn95Cobrakai, take a flashlight and shine it thru your radiator from the engine side to the front of the vehicle. If it is partially clogged you will be able to see it. My observation is that it's really bad where the grill opening and bumper opening are located. It's really clean where they is no direct airflow.
QUOTE]

I run several tracks;
Autobahn: 3rd and 4th gear track for me
Blackhawk Farms: 3rd primarily and 4th a bit
MKE MILE road coarse: 3rd primarily, little 2nd, some 4th
Road America: 3rd, 4th, 5th gear
I run quick at all of these, as fast as many of my friends with much more HP cars
So I don't get why I have heating problems and they don't. It isn't nearly as bad when I'm around the main traffic on track, but temps still climb when in open air.
I will check the Radiator thing as mentioned, but it's a year old so I doubt it has any issues.
I just flushed my coolant and it was clean, no gunk
Is a low temp thermostat that helpful? Is my coolant/H2o mix the issue?

racebronco2

Established Member

sn95Cobrakai, is the track you run is it a slower or faster track? What is the average speed?

Sirl and sn95Cobrakai, take a flashlight and shine it thru your radiator from the engine side to the front of the vehicle. If it is partially clogged you will be able to see it. My observation is that it's really bad where the grill opening and bumper opening are located. It's really clean where they is no direct airflow.
QUOTE]

I run several tracks;
Autobahn: 3rd and 4th gear track for me
Blackhawk Farms: 3rd primarily and 4th a bit
MKE MILE road coarse: 3rd primarily, little 2nd, some 4th
Road America: 3rd, 4th, 5th gear
I run quick at all of these, as fast as many of my friends with much more HP cars
So I don't get why I have heating problems and they don't. It isn't nearly as bad when I'm around the main traffic on track, but temps still climb when in open air.
I will check the Radiator thing as mentioned, but it's a year old so I doubt it has any issues.
I just flushed my coolant and it was clean, no gunk
Is a low temp thermostat that helpful? Is my coolant/H2o mix the issue?

Are you still running the a/c condenser? I doubt it's your radiator being only a year old but it could be your a/c condenser. I mix 30/70 anti freeze/water. A lower thermostat will not help since you are running around 220*. It would help on the street and cruising on the freeway. Does the car run cooler in the colder months? Do you happen to know what your a/f ratio is?

Last edited:

N/Angel

Crazy Swiss Chick!
Established Member
Premium Member
N/ANGEL had said in a previous post something to the effect that why can't her car go any faster on the autoban. She didn't want to push her car any higher rpms, she didn't want to hurt her car. Therefor it wasn't wot just maintaining the speed which wouldn't hardly be into boost.

Once the driver is up to speed they are making less boost because the driver is just maintaining the speed not still at wot. With 3.55's and a blower it's capable of speeds alot higher then 150mph.

not sure if I'm understanding this correctly.
I'm currently running the car without supercharger with approx. 300hp.
I can run at 6500rpms in 6th gear at full throttle for a longer period without any overheating issues but the car doesn't get faster because at that point it needs more power. I'm not letting off the gas unless I run into traffic as this would slow me down and 150mph is a good speed for the Autobahn section I regularly drive. As soon as traffic is over I downshift to get back to the speed quicker, which probably is part of why my car runs cooler because it doesn't have to struggle to get back up to speed in 6th gear?

It was very different with the supercharger, I would run out of gear (had 4.10s at that time) while the car still would go faster and run out of street while trying and therefore never got a good top speed run, obviously it didn't overheat trying but might have if I had enough street and gear :shrug:

now my first two laps on the Nürburgring I was in 2nd and 3rd gear most of the time because I was afraid to upshift and not being able to downshift in time for the next turn (yes, I admit, the ring definitely freaked me out).
In these two laps my oil temps were as high as ever at 120 degrees celcius and my coolant was between 200-210 degrees (don't know how to change my aeroforce to celcius). The mix of me driving rather slow and in low gears ended in the highest temps the car has ever seen.

Last edited:

Force4.6

Twice Bitten
Established Member
I guess I will get it on this since I try to keep up with wheelhooper in the 2002 GT he is referring too.

We do run the cars pretty hard with a stock cooling setup at VIR. Temps usually stay normal until ambient gets around 95 degrees or so then I have to be careful to watch the temps. Anything under 95 and it runs like a champ, I think a lot will have to do with the type of track you are running along with the ambient temps.

Sirl

Established Member
Temps are a key factor for sure... I'm in S. Florida... We have 8 months of 90 degree weather.

I'm heading back to Homestead end of November. It will be a little cooler, but I will be able to tell.. Also planning on having the condenser out by then...

If it doesnt run cooler then... its time for a heat extracting hole in the hood.

sn95Cobrakai

Established Member
Are you still running the a/c condenser? I doubt it's your radiator being only a year old but it could be your a/c condenser. I mix 30/70 anti freeze/water. A lower thermostat will not help since you are running around 220*. It would help on the street and cruising on the freeway. Does the car run cooler in the colder months? Do you happen to know what your a/f ratio is?

Not sure what my A/F ratio is, but I do know my long term fuel trim in lean. I had my boss run some tests cause I started having some idling issues lately which I couldn't attribute to a vacuum leak.
I think we settled on me needing a tune. Could my A/F ratio being lean really make my motor run that hot?

racebronco2

Established Member
Temps are a key factor for sure... I'm in S. Florida... We have 8 months of 90 degree weather.

I'm heading back to Homestead end of November. It will be a little cooler, but I will be able to tell.. Also planning on having the condenser out by then...

If it doesnt run cooler then... its time for a heat extracting hole in the hood.

Make sure you let us know in this thread so it could help others with the same problem.

Not sure what my A/F ratio is, but I do know my long term fuel trim in lean. I had my boss run some tests cause I started having some idling issues lately which I couldn't attribute to a vacuum leak.
I think we settled on me needing a tune. Could my A/F ratio being lean really make my motor run that hot?

Yes it could make it run warmer then usual. Extreme heat will melt you plugs first then a piston.

sn95Cobrakai

Established Member
Make sure you let us know in this thread so it could help others with the same problem.

Yes it could make it run warmer then usual. Extreme heat will melt you plugs first then a piston.

Yea, I replaced My plugs, they looked fine actually. I am hoping the thermostat will help lower temps, at least on the street. I am also hoping the tune will fix the rest of the problem. I know I could always put a huge air dam on and cut the hood vents into the hood, But since my friends don't have these issues I know it is possible to bring the temps down without doing going to that extreme.

racebronco2

Established Member

Yea, I replaced My plugs, they looked fine actually. I am hoping the thermostat will help lower temps, at least on the street. I am also hoping the tune will fix the rest of the problem. I know I could always put a huge air dam on and cut the hood vents into the hood, But since my friends don't have these issues I know it is possible to bring the temps down without doing going to that extreme.

So is your friends car and yours the same? Is he slower then you on the track? So what do you think the difference is between the car's and driver's?

sn95Cobrakai

Established Member
Two friends I am comparing to is a 600rwhp centrifugal supercharged 4.6 car. It does have a lot more straight away speed, but on the small tracks we run close...ish. He had A/C up until this year but I am comparing to before he removed the system. Runs 190 maybe sees 210* at track.
The other car which I run head to head with is a 5.0 BOSS swapped 01 GT, it's N/A, 415rwhp, but has an oil cooler and no A/C. Runs 180-190* at track
The 5.0 swap uses an aftermarket oil cooler so I can see why he runs cooler, and the 600hp 4.6 has just a lower thermostat than mine and the cylinder head cooling mod. So there isn't that much of a difference
I run with a lot of mustangs that are even closer to my setup and they rarely see temps like mine.
I am at 200* on the street, and 220-230* in traffic.
At the track I am at 220* pretty much all the time, even in open air. 240* in traffic before I make my way through the pack or pull off to cool the car/wait open air.
I just feel like something is wrong with my current setup and I want to address the issue before I move forward with the cooling system (ie; oil cooler, air dam, electric h20 pump, etc.) My goals are to run 180-190* on the street and 200* at the track which I have seen and think is possible with a close to stock setup.

Sirl

Established Member
Condenser is gone... It wasnt horrible, but plenty of fins flattened out, some bugs, etc.
A buddy suggested that while I was in there, might as well do the water pump, just for PM. So, new water pump as well... Flushed the system about 4 times, filled with water and went with Royal Purple ICE this time, rather than Water Wetter... no reason.

Hope to hit the track again at the end of November. It will be cooler down here, but I'm sure I will be able to tell if it all made a difference.

Looking at oil coolers now too.

Will post up after my next event.

racebronco2

Established Member
Two friends I am comparing to is a 600rwhp centrifugal supercharged 4.6 car. It does have a lot more straight away speed, but on the small tracks we run close...ish. He had A/C up until this year but I am comparing to before he removed the system. Runs 190 maybe sees 210* at track.
The other car which I run head to head with is a 5.0 BOSS swapped 01 GT, it's N/A, 415rwhp, but has an oil cooler and no A/C. Runs 180-190* at track
The 5.0 swap uses an aftermarket oil cooler so I can see why he runs cooler, and the 600hp 4.6 has just a lower thermostat than mine and the cylinder head cooling mod. So there isn't that much of a difference
I run with a lot of mustangs that are even closer to my setup and they rarely see temps like mine.
I am at 200* on the street, and 220-230* in traffic.
At the track I am at 220* pretty much all the time, even in open air. 240* in traffic before I make my way through the pack or pull off to cool the car/wait open air.
I just feel like something is wrong with my current setup and I want to address the issue before I move forward with the cooling system (ie; oil cooler, air dam, electric h20 pump, etc.) My goals are to run 180-190* on the street and 200* at the track which I have seen and think is possible with a close to stock setup.

I would agree, if similar cars are running cooler something is wrong with your set-up.

racebronco2

Established Member
Just for reference: I went to the local track today. First session was just getting used to the car again since i haven't been out since last April. Outside temp was about 60*, engine temp was 195*, oil temp 220* and ait2 about 130*. Second session I was pushing a little more, outside temps about 75*, engine temps about 205*, ait2's about 150* and oil about 230*. Third session i was pushing the car really hard. Outside temps close to 90*, engine temps got up to 230*, oil was about 240* and ait2's was about 170*.

The third session was the best session. I was clearly one of the fastest cars. I could out corner just about any car and out accelerate most of them. I caught The Betty Crocker Nascar, i could out corner him just a little and i had a little more power but not enough to make a clean pass. The last corner before the front straight i fell back a little to get a run on him on the front straight. It worked, i passed him before shifting into forth and he never caught me. Speeds on the front straight were about 150mph and if i got a really good run it was 155mph. I was on my 19psi tune with a 17 pulley.

racebronco2

Established Member
By the way my radiator is not completely boxed in. It's missing the piece that goes from the bumper cover to the radiator support.

Sirl

Established Member
Figured I'd just continue this thread rather than make another.

Couple questions regarding "Oil Cooling",

I'm looking at a kit from Canton, about 300 bucks.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ctr-22-729

Is there any reason to do a oil filter relocation as well??
Other than easier filter change, and taller filter, any other benefits?

Also, I see some "sandwich" plates have threaded holes for oil pressure, temp. gauges. If the plate doesnt have those holes, where would you plug in for pressure or temp?

OR,
Am I better just piecing a kit together? buy a sandwich plate, small radiator, AN fittings, and hoses?

Any tips would be great.

Thanks,

racebronco2

Established Member
Figured I'd just continue this thread rather than make another.

Couple questions regarding "Oil Cooling",

I'm looking at a kit from Canton, about 300 bucks.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ctr-22-729

Is there any reason to do a oil filter relocation as well??
Other than easier filter change, and taller filter, any other benefits?

Also, I see some "sandwich" plates have threaded holes for oil pressure, temp. gauges. If the plate doesnt have those holes, where would you plug in for pressure or temp?

OR,
Am I better just piecing a kit together? buy a sandwich plate, small radiator, AN fittings, and hoses?

Any tips would be great.

Thanks,

As you can see from my post above if you get the engine temps under control the oil temps will drop accordingly. I do have an oil cooler which is located in front of the front wheel well.

wheelhopper

Established Member
I pieced a kit together using a sandwich plate that I got off of Ebay. That had ports for a pressure and temp gauges. The entire kit cost me less than $200. I use a Purolator filter that is shorter than factory for clearance. I have used this kit now for over a year with no issues.

Users who are viewing this thread