Cooling question on a GT, N/A

Sirl

Established Member
Well....
Got back to Homestead yesterday.
The temps where cooler, maybe 78-80 degrees.

So, a few months back, my water temp was hitting 230 after a few hot laps.

Since then, flushed the radiator again. I did have a fair amount of gunk on the magnetic drain plug.

Put a 160 t-stat back in, removed the a/c condensor and changed the water pump while I was in there, just for maintenance.

After a solid 20 min. session the car topped out at 195!!

So, very happy about that. Just curious how much can I attribute to the changes I made, and how much to the cooler temps outside... I guess I'll find out when it gets warm again.

Sirl

Established Member
Just reading through these posts from the beginning... regarding "ditching" the ac all together... I always thought you could not run a shorter belt on a 2V. I dont know why I thought that.. someone must have told me...

However... I found some posts on other forums,

Basically... Remove the belt tensioner and remove both pulleys.

Swap the "ribbed" pulley, with the pulley on the tensioner, and re install with a shorter belt, eliminating the a/c. You'll need a 70.5 inch belt. You'll also need to flip that ribbed pulley around, and grind down some of the metal to keep it from hitting the tensioner. Works like a charm, and bypasses the a/c, and 2 pulleys. Maybe good for a hp or 2?

So, I just did that, and removed the a/c compressor as well.

Last edited:

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Interesting. I had my race car sitting in the driveway running when I could hear a strange noise from under the hood. Lifted the hood to inspect and the a/c delete pulley bolt had backed out, it only had a few threads left. Glad I found it in the drive way and that it didn't eject itself along with the belt during a race!!

I'm going to do this and simplify the belt routing and run a shorter belt. Thanks for posting!

racebronco2

Established Member
Just reading through these posts from the beginning... regarding "ditching" the ac all together... I always thought you could not run a shorter belt on a 2V. I dont know why I thought that.. someone must have told me...

However... I found some posts on other forums,

Basically... Remove the belt tensioner and remove both pulleys.

Swap the "ribbed" pulley, with the pulley on the tensioner, and re install with a shorter belt, eliminating the a/c. You'll need a 70.5 inch belt. You'll also need to flip that ribbed pulley around, and grind down some of the metal to keep it from hitting the tensioner. Works like a charm, and bypasses the a/c, and 2 pulleys. Maybe good for a hp or 2?

So, I just did that, and removed the a/c compressor as well.

Thanks SIRL, when i remove my a/c i should be able to do the same.

Sirl

Established Member
Cool,
Here's a couple pics...

With a dremel, or any other means, grind where you see that I did (if you have to)
photo5-1.gif

Ribbed pulley, reversed, and put on the tensioner.
DAYCO Belt# 5060705 6 rib, 70.5 inches

acdeletebelt.gif

Users who are viewing this thread