Cooling

IneritaSVT

Fuel Slut
Established Member
I have a 160 deg t-stat in my truck and do alot of highway driving and some times get a cooling code. I was talking to a buddy that knows alot about mod motors and has had a L and he said the the lower temp richens it up even crusing speeds and low throtle position and he said i could wash down the rings? I think that i will go to a 170. Any input?

lightninmike

skeered to mod it
Established Member
Well in any motor a cooler running motor (coolant) will richen the mix but inless your running in AZ or NM most of us run a 170* stat

fullboogie

Established Member
You'd have to inject a ton of fuel into the cylinder to "wash down" the rings, if he's referring to what I think he is. I really, really don't think a lower t-stat is even capable of doing this at all.

Scuba-Matt

Boost Freak!!!!!!!!
Established Member
IneritaSVT said:
I have a 160 deg t-stat in my truck and do alot of highway driving and some times get a cooling code. I was talking to a buddy that knows alot about mod motors and has had a L and he said the the lower temp richens it up even crusing speeds and low throtle position and he said i could wash down the rings? I think that i will go to a 170. Any input?
I've been running the 160 thermostat for 2 1/2 years now and no codes. You have to be tuned for it. Otherwise there will be codes

Fade 2 Black

Gen 2 Diehard
Established Member
What he ^ said. It will sometimes cause you to stay in open loop mode so the temp for the PCM to consider the engine warm needs to be lowered. Mine is set to 120*

Black bullet

Established Member
Question for u fade to black. i have a buddy of mine that his L runs rick i mean really rich, like 11.9 A/F at idle. i could never figue out. But now that someone brought up temp it kinda makes sence. My buddy has a 160 T-stat and a set of twin spal fans and his temp barly moves off the cold line. i sware if i put a real guage on it, it probely would be at 100F. so could this be the problem

Last edited:

BC Lightning

Project Panty Dropper
Established Member
Black bullet said:
Question for u fade to black. i have a buddy of mine that his L runs rick i mean really rich, like 11.9 A/F at idle. i could never figue out. But now that someone brought up temp it kinda makes sence. My buddy has a 160 T-stat and a set of twin spal fans and his temp barly moves off the cold line. i sware if i put a real guage on it, it probely would be at 100F. so could this be the problem

my truck at idle is 15.0 and higher a/f ratio , and is 11.5-11.9 a/f at WOT

IneritaSVT

Fuel Slut
Established Member
What he ^ said. It will sometimes cause you to stay in open loop mode so the temp for the PCM to consider the engine warm needs to be lowered. Mine is set to 120*
I just got the SCT softwear so I can adjust my own tunes so I will be adjusting it. and I will be good to go

Black bullet

Established Member
Well i called my tuner me and my friend go to and he said that he can not change the temp that controls open and closed loop, but he can lock it out in closed loop. The only draw back is that when the motor is cold it wont want to stay alive so until the motor warms it is a pain o keep running. thats what he said, is that true, oh and this is all done with a a SCT Chip tuned on a dyno

Black bullet

Established Member
IneritaSVT said:
Correct, you can not change it with just your handheld you need the program that writes the tunes. You just turn down the open loop threshold temp in the tune.
I dont have a handheld programer, i have a chip

Users who are viewing this thread