could this be in my tune or something else?

GHIG'13

Established Member
So I got my Paxton, pypes l/t's and o/r X installed and tuned a few weeks back. Car has been running great for about 600 miles but noticed this weekend that when I go to take off from a stop the car will bog down like it wants to stall then jump back up and run fine. Does it cold or hot but only on takeoff. I did notice an exhaust leak coming from my xpipe, could this be the cause? Is the clutch the cause? Or could it be in the tune, don't think its this as it was running fine before this weekend. Thanks for any help.

GHIG'13

Established Member
Who's your tuner?
Lund did the tuning.

Who did the install work?
I installed everything myself. I could hear a small exhaust leak when I first put everything on but it is much more noticeable now.

Have you tried an idle relearn after you upload the tune in you car?
Did not try this, what all needs to be done?
Car has run good for 600 miles with no issues until last weekend. Air/fuel gauge doesn't show any rich or lean conditions when it does this, it just stumbles until you give it more gas or clutch it but otherwise runs great.

01bluesnake

Established Member
If the leak is at the mid pipe connection, it shouldn't cause an issue unless one side is severely leaking which back pressure can play with the bank to bank switch rate. If the leak is at the header gasket to head surface, can definitely cause an issue you are felling.

GHIG'13

Established Member
If the leak is at the mid pipe connection, it shouldn't cause an issue unless one side is severely leaking which back pressure can play with the bank to bank switch rate. If the leak is at the header gasket to head surface, can definitely cause an issue you are felling.

Well, I can't hear the exhaust leak under the hood but it is rather loud when you bend down on the driver side under the car. I think it is from where the xpipe meets the ota pipes but haven't had time to confirm. The xpipe is 3" and the ota pipes are 2 3/4" so I'm guessing thats the problem. At least I hope its that simple, its not a great big problem but the car only has 1200 miles on it and would rather it not do this. Thanks for all the help, btw.

INEEDA_TERMI

Established Member
Well, I can't hear the exhaust leak under the hood but it is rather loud when you bend down on the driver side under the car. I think it is from where the xpipe meets the ota pipes but haven't had time to confirm. The xpipe is 3" and the ota pipes are 2 3/4" so I'm guessing thats the problem. At least I hope its that simple, its not a great big problem but the car only has 1200 miles on it and would rather it not do this. Thanks for all the help, btw.

Wherever you think the exhaust leak is, get under there with a piece of paper or a rag and hold it close to the pipe where you think the leak is, this will help you identify where its coming from. You will be able to clearly tell because it will blow the paper or rag around. Little trick I learned a few weeks ago with a leaky h pipe lol. Also, permatex rtv copper gasket maker is a good solution to seal up a leak. Make sure you push the pipes together as tight as possible. Oh, you may need to disconnect your axle backs and slide the ota pipes as far forward into the band clamp as possible. The x pipe to ota pipe connection should be as close to butting up as possible.

GHIG'13

Established Member
Wherever you think the exhaust leak is, get under there with a piece of paper or a rag and hold it close to the pipe where you think the leak is, this will help you identify where its coming from. You will be able to clearly tell because it will blow the paper or rag around. Little trick I learned a few weeks ago with a leaky h pipe lol. Also, permatex rtv copper gasket maker is a good solution to seal up a leak. Make sure you push the pipes together as tight as possible. Oh, you may need to disconnect your axle backs and slide the ota pipes as far forward into the band clamp as possible. The x pipe to ota pipe connection should be as close to butting up as possible.

I like the paper idea, I was gonna run it a little while and let it turn black where the leak was but your way is quicker and just as accurate. Gonna try this tomorrow, thanks.

KonaFifty

Established Member
i think your problem is the 3 inch x to 2 3/4 inch otap. does the x taper down or no? if not, that is your problem...

GHIG'13

Established Member
i think your problem is the 3 inch x to 2 3/4 inch otap. does the x taper down or no? if not, that is your problem...

No the x does not taper down. I tried to get away with reusing the factory clamps but I am going to go buy some band clamps from autozone and then use aluminum foil folded up as a gasket just to be safe.

KonaFifty

Established Member
are your over the axle pipes stock? you could also try taking it in to an exhaust shop and have them cut the otap and then weld a 2 3/4 inch to 3 inch end on it.

GHIG'13

Established Member
are your over the axle pipes stock? you could also try taking it in to an exhaust shop and have them cut the otap and then weld a 2 3/4 inch to 3 inch end on it.

Yeah they are stock. Might be what I have to do if all else fails. I can hear the leak over the tial bov at about 3000 rpm and that ain't cool.

Users who are viewing this thread