Could this hurt my car?

boosted2000si

All good things end!
Established Member
Steeda make a "kit" for this... I think its $20, but here is my free version of the same thing.

egrsurge.JPG

newbreed77 said:

Well i guess he doesn't consider excessive back pressure and cavation against the supercharger harmfull to the motor, so what if it causes excessive heat and wear to the blowers internals.
there is a chance for a lean condition & detonation too W/ out a proper tune to account for this mod. The factory computer thinks that boost is getting dumped and it's not, which can lead to a lean condition, leading to detonation, leading to engine damage. Your knock should detect the detonation and retard timing and add fuel to get rid of it, but this costs power, which defeats the pourpose for the mod to begin with. Your map sensor will detect the constant boost, and adjust fuel for it too, so i guess the threat of actual damage to the engine is low, provided all sensors are working properly, but the chances of damage to the blower are much greater.

If you want to eliminate it properly, do it via tune with some sort of engine management or fuel computer, stay away from this poor mans mod.

But hey, maybe is is right, maybe that stuff isn't harmfull to the engine. Why don't you give it a try then.. Let me know how you make out after a while. If when the blower goes bad you will know. Once the internally lubed bearings overheat, they will start singing you a tune letting you know they are bad. Then it's time to start saving for the Kenny Bell.

Last edited:

SlowSVT

Established Member
Personally I don't understand what people are trying to achive with this mod. For some reason they think there is an advantage to driving around with a constantly boosted engine when all it does heat soaks the I/C and causes the engine to richen the mixture causing you fuel consumption to go up. Boost is only needed when you wanna go fast.

SlowSVT said:
Personally I don't understand what people are trying to achive with this mod. For some reason they think there is an advantage to driving around with a constantly boosted engine when all it does heat soaks the I/C and causes the engine to richen the mixture causing you fuel consumption to go up. Boost is only needed when you wanna go fast.

Spoken like a man who knows that he is talking about.
The factory computer shuts it off at full throttle anyway, so you aren't making things any different when the boost really matters.!!!

blackvenom77

killer cobra
Established Member
brownbootsracin said:
But hey, maybe is is right, maybe that stuff isn't harmfull to the engine. Why don't you give it a try then.. Let me know how you make out after a while. If when the blower goes bad you will know. Once the internally lubed bearings overheat, they will start singing you a tune letting you know they are bad. Then it's time to start saving for the Kenny Bell.
Well I have tried it. For 25,000 miles as a matter a fact and no problems.
My tuner did it right in front of me. I asked him about it and he said it doesn't effect engine performance just crusing around, only at wide open throttle.
They tune hundreds of cobra's like this.

Brad

Banned
SlowSVT said:

Pretty sure the idea is for the blower not to dump boost between shifts, so as soon as you're back on the gas the valve is already closed. I don't think it's worth it as always boosting the motor seems like a strange idea.

mustang john

Established Member
I have done the RPM outlet bypass and have an aftermarket boost /vac guage. I see no boost at cruise only vaccum, boost only kicks in when the load is enough at part throttle or greater. Dataloging showed no increase in IAT2s at normal driving either, i have had this mod for 2 years and had no problems.

imswheel

Quality SVT Poster
Established Member
no problem

The boost bypass mod does not leave the blower on all of the time. Unplugging the electrical conector or pulling and capping the line does and is a bad thing to do.

The engine management system is designed to dump boost between shifts under certian conditions but not always. The boost bypass mod stops this from happening in most cases. The overheat and redline safety features still function because they are controlled by a different vac. switch.

I have been running it for 50,000 miles with no problems. No decrease in gas mileage, no increase in temps, seems smoother when powershifting as it used to kind of buck or stumble before the mod.

I removed with a tune but switched back because I liked the manual method better.

Just my humble opinion!

- Paul

Brad

Banned
imswheel said:
The boost bypass mod does not leave the blower on all of the time. Unplugging the electrical conector or pulling and capping the line does and is a bad thing to do.

The engine management system is designed to dump boost between shifts under certian conditions but not always. The boost bypass mod stops this from happening in most cases. The overheat and redline safety features still function because they are controlled by a different vac. switch.

I have been running it for 50,000 miles with no problems. No decrease in gas mileage, no increase in temps, seems smoother when powershifting as it used to kind of buck or stumble before the mod.

I removed with a tune but switched back because I liked the manual method better.

Just my humble opinion!

- Paul

Interesting, I wasn't sure how this really worked, if that's true I don't see why you wouldn't do this mod then.

dun4791

Established Member
brownbootsracin said:
Well i guess he doesn't consider excessive back pressure and cavation against the supercharger harmfull to the motor, so what if it causes excessive heat and wear to the blowers internals.
there is a chance for a lean condition & detonation too W/ out a proper tune to account for this mod. The factory computer thinks that boost is getting dumped and it's not, which can lead to a lean condition, leading to detonation, leading to engine damage. Your knock should detect the detonation and retard timing and add fuel to get rid of it, but this costs power, which defeats the pourpose for the mod to begin with. Your map sensor will detect the constant boost, and adjust fuel for it too, so i guess the threat of actual damage to the engine is low, provided all sensors are working properly, but the chances of damage to the blower are much greater.

If you want to eliminate it properly, do it via tune with some sort of engine management or fuel computer, stay away from this poor mans mod.

Where is the knock sensor on the 03 Cobra? I have been looking all over for it....for 4 years now.............

Who is Kenny Bell?

imswheel

Quality SVT Poster
Established Member
dun4791 said:
Where is the knock sensor on the 03 Cobra? I have been looking all over for it....for 4 years now.............

Who is Kenny Bell?

He invented the Belly button - I have one and like it alot!

The knock sensor is under the back seat (as if we could do any knock'n in that little back seat - I have tried - it does not work well - hurt myself)

- Paul

32V SVT

Established Member
imswheel Quote:
Originally Posted by dun4791

Who is Kenny Bell?

He invented the Belly button - I have one and like it alot!

The knock sensor is under the back seat (as if we could do any knock'n in that little back seat - I have tried - it does not work well - hurt myself)

- Paul

LMAO!!! :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:

WOMACK03

Whipple Powered
Established Member
I did the mod both ways(tune and on the car) when I put on the pulley two weeks ago . I am getting better gas milage by about 40 mile per tank. explain that one "Mr. fancy pants"??????? :banana:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread