COVID cops

Makobra

Mostly Peaceful
Established Member
okay you are getting upset, we will leave this as that. You should really go do a ride along and confirm or deny those statements you made about a job which you have never done.

and I agree with your last St statement. If you come across as asshole to everyone, you probably are being one. The thing is, how do you know these officers are coming across as asshole to everyone. Have you done a study with people he or she interacted with?

anyways, seriously, do a ride along. If you truly want to have an unbiased, objective understanding of something, you should study both side and ride along with be a fantastic way to start that.

dude, i come from a LEO family. retired HPD officers. firefighters. I know what I'm talking about. i even considered becoming one myself on more than one occasion. I'm not unbiased and neither are you so drop that act like you are. I'm biased towards justice and since I have a keen sense of what that entails I know justice isn't what FEELS safe or FEELS good all the time. it is not subject to whim or something as wispy as man's moral compass.

i see this ride along bullshit from time to time. you've suggested it more than once. that suggestion tells me you haven't listened to a single word i've said because if you had you'd have noticed that my entire complaint is a series of issues with the entire system that police officers could resolve from the ground up if they had the courage to do it. and i admit that would be terrifying to go up against the blue line which is why i said that would require one have courage. a lot of it.

but most, like you, don't.

I'm not getting upset I'm giving you some advice.

so, here it is plainly:

you need to listen to where people are coming from more than you tell them where to go.

ViciousJay

Established Member
yeah everybody else is wrong. it can't possibly be that you're defending an institution that you support because you were once part of it and thusly see it as being a part of you which would perfectly explain your defense of this thing as if it is an attack on you personally.

I gave you good reasons and instead of engaging you basically said "nah bro" and you wonder why people hate cops?

because it isn't a hard job.
because most of them are overpaid.
because we have too many of them.

because guys like you that would rather tell people what they think than listen and understand get shiny badges and guns not because you want to serve but because you want to get something or be a part of something bigger because at bottom you are simply a needy little man.

if you run into an asshole in the morning you ran into an asshole.
if you come across them all day YOU'RE the asshole.
Dude you have no idea the shit this guy went through! H was working for one of the top 3 most dangerous places to live in the US, You are coming off very immature. You got a warning, just un-pucker your booty hole and let life go on.

Klay

Established Member
I appreciate your input and perspective on this and I highly recommend you to go on a ride along with a police agency. I actually have always recommended everyone who just hated cops or just automatically assumed it was the cops that just stirred the pot, to go on a ride along with police agencies.

this whole power trip thing happens of course, I have personally seen it and nobody is perfect and some are in it for the wrong reasons, however, it’s more rare than one can think.

And you don’t know how this officer in this case actually acted. One thing I have learned over the years is, people love exaggerating stories to just make themselves feel good.

we have seen plenty of accusations of rude or racists cops and when the dash cam or body cam footage came out, it was shown otherwise.

if we are going to talk about rude cops who are on a power trip, I am all up for discussion and am on your side, but more often than not it is not the case.

I appreciate your response. I can agree with your logic and it makes sense. I should have been a little more impartial in my initial reply. Cops definitely have a tough job. Maybe not always but there is no doubt the potential for rough situations (obviously some areas are less dangerous than others).

I agree people tend to embellish stories to make themselves look better. The same could be said of police but the point stands that you're right I was basing my argument solely on Klaus version of events.

I guess my thing is, if police want to lose the bad rap they have with some people, maybe utilizing leadership skills to diffuse situations instead of fear would be a good start. Get people to see their point of view without forcing them to comply. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe police are trained to try and diffuse situations but also trained to always be in control?

It is my view that the staying in control part is where the issue lies. There is no easy answer as I wouldnt suggest a police officer allow others to be in control them in a situation. But their drive to stay in control causes them to be domineering at times.

As someone who has done a lot of studying on leadership, I can see where the principles ive learned would benefit police departments. Any public facing job requires customer service skills. I dont see why police couldnt implement those skills into their training.

Sure, they need to be safe but the vast majority of interactions they have with the public are not life threatening. I dont want to see police hurt or killed because they were too nice but I believe they would ultimately be safer if more of the public viewed them as friends instead of enforcers.

Just my opinion. I understand i have never been in a police officers shoes, so I cant fully relate. I have met great people who are police, so no hate from me towards them. It just seems to me that the way police are trained, puts them in no win situations. Either domineer the public into compliance and keep your job and be safe. Or be nice and a criminal takes advantage and you lose your job or worse, your life.

ViciousJay

Established Member
are you sure I know nothing about lives being ruined because good willed men just did their jobs?
I don't? I don't? Listen here puppy my family like yours is all LEO's and such, some undercover that now has to live in witness protection. You are sounding like a brat, boo hoo you couldn't pass him but you obviously rolled the dice and he tickled your ass and you didn't like it. Again let it go and move on.

What do you drive anyways?

ViciousJay

Established Member
Actually two minutes after commenting I bet you have a horrendous exhaust that drones like a mother in law on a bad hot flash, illegal marker lights and tints, including bad downshifts before setting the cruise.

You got away with murder and you basically were scared and are mad you got put into check. No worries, nothing is on you, insurance isn't going up and you're fine.

Makobra

Mostly Peaceful
Established Member
if you were half as clever as you pretend to be you wouldn't have to ask the question.

nxhappy

Established Member
I was shocked when I moved to AZ. everyone was hauling BALLZ. Even the ****ing trucks were going 75. LOL. I think most people go 80 in a 65 without batting an eye. Goddamn I love this state. Oh.....you also see side by sides casually crawling the streets. Think wifey might kill me if I buy a turbo RZR.

Makobra

Mostly Peaceful
Established Member
look man, if you wanna say something just say it.

Last edited by a moderator:

ViciousJay

Established Member
Nevermind, I plead my case. Haha

97 mustang resto, I'm not getting catfished into the stupidity. You are a guppy in an ocean of sharks...

Makobra

Mostly Peaceful
Established Member
Nevermind, I plead my case. Haha

97 mustang resto, I'm not getting catfished into the stupidity. You are a guppy in an ocean of sharks...

Point of order, its a cobra and everything I told you is true :D

the thing about the deep is you never really know how dangerous a thing is until you kill it or it eats you...

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
I was shocked when I moved to AZ. everyone was hauling BALLZ. Even the ****ing trucks were going 75. LOL. I think most people go 80 in a 65 without batting an eye. Goddamn I love this state. Oh.....you also see side by sides casually crawling the streets. Think wifey might kill me if I buy a turbo RZR.

Make it happen

59-D6-D76-C-9-A95-4-F98-BDF8-4-FDB73-DF88-CE.jpg

D5134-ED9-13-B1-4-C6-A-9796-E3-E44-F3-EA224.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

9397SVTs

Established Member
Premium Member
that's incorrect. the reason cops get a bad rap is because at some point they shifted from PEACE officers to LAW enforcement.
there's a HUGE difference between the two. peace officers are cool. these are the guys that try to not screw with people and only really get involved in stuff that is actually a problem. like, someone is actually in danger.

most cops are not this way. but they could be and I'm thankful for all who are. rookies are the worst. old timers are generally pretty good.

once i was stopped going to work. I drive faster than traffic usually and freely navigate around slower people who don't know how left lanes are supposed to operate. so this old timer pulls me over, i stop in this bank parking lot, very well lit, all that, he asks whats the rush "just trying to get to work". oh yeah where ya work? I tell him and he knows i got like 20 miles to go. its like 6am.

i will never forget this. he goes "oh shit, well try and take it easy and have a good day".

that dude was a rockstar. no lecture about "well ya might not get there if ya keep driving like an asshole" or whatever.

Please explain the HUGE difference between Peace Officers and Police/Law Enforcement Officers.

From what I can find, they are essentially the exact same thing; except Peace Officers are more limited in their authority and may/may not be armed.

of course the cop just does his job and the great majority of them think they're doing a great thing. but thinking you're doing a good thing and actually doing a good thing are quite different right?

people elect politicians, politicians hire officials, and officials execute orders. the squeaky wheel gets the grease. it doesn't matter that the cop didn't write the ordinance to those who are harmed by the ordinance.

cops are sent to patrol for crimes and potential crimes even though they have no legal responsibility to prevent crime at all.

the issue I have with most LEO's is when they choose to enforce statutes which harm people and with unions, the fraternal order of cops, all of that there is massive pressure to toe the line. the best you can expect is a cop to be cool when nobody is looking cause they got mouths to feed. at the end of the day its by and large about going home safe and earning a paycheck which is what they are TRAINED to do.

toe the line, go home safe, and enjoy your life you hero.

but that's just conditioning.

This would immediately rectify the problem but the result would be the cop suffering at the hands of those in authority over them or even risk losing their jobs.

they don't need to. like i said, most cops have no axe to grind, and are just a cog in the machine. they have performance reviews like EVERY profession. what if all his arrests are down and he's writing half the tickets as the year before?

do you think his boss is going to think he's serving his community well or that he's sleeping under overpasses?

i've heard actual stories from actual former cops who actually got reprimanded because they engaged with the communities on their beat to help people out and shepherd them well. resulted in less crime, less arrests, and better community... but the numbers took a hit... so the guy got shit for it.

nobody wants to go to work and get shit for it. so the good cops quit. same story with public school and most of the really great teachers. the incentive to stick around just isn't there.

because this is not the role of government. punish evil, reward good, not charge people with precrime.

What statutes are being enforced that actually harms people? Define the term harm.

quad

Established Member
So I am on my way into the office this AM and there is a trooper sitting in the left lane going 54 in a 55. Traffic is backed up behind him because everyone is too big of a pussy to pass him. He is causing an obstruction so I set my cruise control at 57 and pass him in the right lane.

A mile down the road he lights me up and I pull right over. He runs up on me and demands to know if I knew how fast I was going. "Yep" I say. "I had it on cruise control at 57." He states that this is untrue and that I "flew" by him. Again I said "well, I had it on cruise control at 57. I looked right at you as I went past, it is not like I would intentionally fly by a trooper. You were crating a hazard so I took the initiative." He gets all pissed and throws my license back at me and says that I have to slow it down.

I hate to generalize but god I hate cops (I am sure there are some good ones out there though).
He was going the speed limit how is that creating obstruction lol?! My attitude towards cops has changed these past few years after I saw all the shit they have to deal with. I drive a stretch of road often with a speed limit of 35. I'll set cruise control to 38. I have driven past numerous cops sitting on the side and have never been pulled over going 3 over the limit. I am sure they would though if I was going 42-45.

A few months ago I stopped at a red light, looked in all directions to see that the road was clear and then made a left turn. As soon as I turned I saw the cop sitting there. I drove past him and he made a u turn and pulled me over. As he approached I said "My bad officer I was impatient." He says "Yeah man what the hell are you doing. I saw you stop and be cautious why blow that lol?" I told him I appreciate the work they do and I'll go pay the ticket the next day. He said he appreciated that and marked it down so I would not get points. The funny thing is that particular light starts flashing yellow after 9PM - 6AM. So part of the day you can make a left without waiting for the signal.

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
He was going the speed limit how is that creating obstruction lol?!

it was a funeral procession because people are afraid to pass cops regardless of what speed they are going. So a three lane highway turned into a one lane highway led by a driver going under the speed limit. Think of how annoying this would be if it was not a cop.

For whatever reason there seems to be a bunch of white knighting about how it was OK just because it was a cop. And to be clear the only reason he pulled me over was because I had the temerity to pass him. It had nothing to do with me making the road less safe by going 2 mph over.

Look, most cops are great at what they do. But there are plenty that are incompetent or lazy or are cops because they could not do anything else. I do not know what the number is but there are plenty that fit this description.

And while we are at it let's stop pretending that "cop" is a homogeneous description. Some are putting their life on the line arresting bad guys but just as many are glorified security guards or ticket writers. Very few ever even draw their gun and are vastly more likely to die from a car accident or heart disease from all the fast food they eat than from getting shot in the line of duty. As a taxpayer the hero worship of government employees bores me. And j get that many cops are pissed and resentful, most have a boring and shitty job. For instance I could not imagine spending a career as a suburban cop driving the same 5 mile loop over and over and over, same thing every day counting the days to retirement.

/rant

Users who are viewing this thread