Coyote E85 timing

stevens11bravo

Established Member
I was wondering what the max timing you guys are seeing in data logs running E85. I know most 93 octane tunes are around 28* + or - a degree. Naturally Aspirated results only, thanks. (edited)

Last edited:

redline5.0

Established Member
My e85 pump tune is 31* at 8k and other have reported 33-34 on e85 ftw but this is n/a of coarse.

stevens11bravo

Established Member
I should have stated NA applications. I have really high quality 93 octane and with my tune commanding around 27* the knock sensor adds all they can so I'm seeing up to 30* in the upper rpm. I know a lot of people are unable to run that much timing due to low quality pump gas and have good gains switching to E85. I wondering if it would be worth it for me to make the switch since I'm already able to run a lot of timing.

mastwolf

4800fps = Mach1 in h2o
Established Member
I have yet to do strait back to back on bolt on cars but on the last CPR single turbo car I tuned, we picked up 50rwhp with no added spark with me only changing the tune for the e85.

cb900f

Established Member
I have yet to do strait back to back on bolt on cars but on the last CPR single turbo car I tuned, we picked up 50rwhp with no added spark with me only changing the tune for the e85.
I'd like to hear why it picks up that much power without adjusting spark. Is it just the cooling capacity of the fuel?

HONDASAKI

Established Member
It was my car mastwolf is talking about, E85 is awesome. Like he said 50hp increase with no timing adjustments. If I remember right it was only at 12 degrees, and 7lbs on that pull. We ended up at 18 degrees, which is concidered "low" for E85, but we reached the power limits of stock internals and didn't turn it up any more.

Last edited:

92fiveohfox

Established Member
It was my car mastwolf is talking about, E85 is awesome. Like he said 50hp increase with no timing adjustments. If I remember right it was only at 12 degrees, and 7lbs on that pull.

And soooo.... where did the power come from? Was it rich before and was leaned out on the E85? Knocking/pulling timing before and the E85 got rid of it?

Unless i'm missing something, it's not some magic fuel that creates hp out of thin air...

stevens11bravo

Established Member
What were your results after the switch? I am curious if I would see any gains since my car already see's 30* on 93. I would be more interested in the switch if I could bump the timing up to 33-34* .... Is anyone out there running that much timing on E85 (NA) ?

mastwolf

4800fps = Mach1 in h2o
Established Member
And soooo.... where did the power come from? Was it rich before and was leaned out on the E85? Knocking/pulling timing before and the E85 got rid of it?

Unless i'm missing something, it's not some magic fuel that creates hp out of thin air...
And soooo... We see the cooling effect of e85 on a car using compressed air being forced into each cylinder...

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member

E85 has a sort of a chemical intercooler effect so it will create power out of thin air by cooling the intake air charge significantly. The extra fuel needed when compared to 93 also helps to cool the intake charge further more. This is all on fi ofcourse.

stevens11bravo

Established Member
I appreciate all info on the Forced Induction side and would have already converted if I was boosted but I am only curious about NA results and mainly the amount of timing because my local 93 octane is better than most allowing me to run 30* of timing with zero knock. If switching to E85 is only going to allow me to see 31* of timing I don't think it's worth it for me to switch however if I could possibly bump timing to 33-34* it might just be worth it.

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
I appreciate all info on the Forced Induction side and would have already converted if I was boosted but I am only curious about NA results and mainly the amount of timing because my local 93 octane is better than most allowing me to run 30* of timing with zero knock. If switching to E85 is only going to allow me to see 31* of timing I don't think it's worth it for me to switch however if I could possibly bump timing to 33-34* it might just be worth it.

If your fuel is that good you won't gain much from e85. I would do the switch regardless because the cooler burn will help the stock pistons and is just safer than 93 octane. Do it for safety more than power.

Users who are viewing this thread