coyote question

cottondoc

Established Member
The new 5.0 appears to be putting up some really big numbers on the dyno. I think it must be from improved airflow from the heads. I was thinking of eventually doing a Boss 5.0 block or a sleeved big bore aluminum block build in my 2003 Cobra. Will Coyote heads work on a Boss 5.0 block? If not, will a good set of ported 4.6 4 valve heads flow as good as coyote 5.0 heads? If not, would it be better to just put a blown coyote in my cobra versus doing a 4.6 based build? Thanks for any info about this?

Last edited:

SlowSVT

Established Member
What do you hope to gain and why go through all the trouble of fitting a Coyote engine into a Terminator? A blown mod motors doesn't make enough power already? I don't see the point in doing this :shrug:

cottondoc

Established Member
The point? I don't understand that question, but I'll try to explain. I plan on building a new motor for my cobra. I want it to make the most power possible. You can just about buy a 5.0 Aluminator long block with forged, low compression rotating assembly for less than you could build a similar Boss 5.0 iron block and fill it with a good rotating assembly. I would then put a twin screw blower or turbos on it. I assume everybody on here wants to make the most horsepower per dollar spent that they can. I am no expert, but from everything I read on the internet forums and in magazines, it looks like to me that the new coyote 5.0 has way more potential for horsepower than even a 5 liter Boss block or sleeved 4.6 block with 4 valve 4.6L based heads. Maybe I am wrong in that assumption? If so, I would like someone more knowledgeable to tell me why I am wrong. That is the reason for my original post. I think the 5.0 coyote heads flow much better than terminator heads do, even if you port the terminator heads. Thats why I asked if coyote heads could be put on a big bore 4.6L based block. I don't want to spend a ton of money building a built 4.6L based engine just to find out that I could have spent the same or maybe a little more to get coyote heads and made way more power. Hopefully this post will clarify the information I was looking for with my first post. Thanks.

racebronco2

Established Member
The coyote heads are the highest flowing 4v heads you can get. It's going to cost more to build a coyote engine than the other 4.6 engines because all their parts are at a premium price. Swapping a coyote motor is going to take some to also. If i remember correctly where the motor mounts are located on the coyote motor will not work with the earlier 4.6 k-members. With part so abundant for the cobra motors how could it cost more than a coyote motor?

cottondoc

Established Member
Yeah, I figured it would cost some amount more to use coyote parts or do a coyote swap. I was just wondering how much more and if the increased cost would be offset by increased horsepower. I haven't done much research, but I just looked at ford racing. You can get a complete, low-compression, forged piston coyote 5.0 alluminator engine from Ford shipped to your house for $8,350. I may be wrong, but I would expect a built Boss 5.0 or sleeved, big bore aluminum 4.6 teksid block with a quality forged rotating assembly to be at least $5,000. And that is just for a short block. You would still have to use stock terminator heads that flow substantially less. I also know it would cost a lot to put a complete coyote in a terminator because it isn't a direct bolt in, but if you are doing a complete motor build, it might end up costing less per horsepower made. I guess what I was really hoping is that a set of coyote heads would bolt up to a Boss 5.0 or big bore teksid block. That would eliminate the problems and expense associated with a complete coyote swap. You could have the flow of coyote heads without the cost of a complete swap. Does anybody know if this is possible? Can you put coyote heads on a Boss 5.0 or a sleeved big bore teksid? It all depends on your goals. If you want 600hp at the wheels, you can definitely get that several different ways with a terminator 4.6, but if you want to push the limits of boosted horsepower on pump gas, I think you might be better off building a coyote. I am hoping to make big horsepower on pump gas in the near future and I was trying to figure out the best way to do it. Again, this is all stuff I was just kicking around. I have no immediate plans to put a blown coyote in my terminator. Thanks again for everybody's input.

cottondoc

Established Member
Just decided to take a quick look at MMR's site. A MMR 600 4 valve head long block is $5,899 with a stock iron cobra block. It cost $1,200 more for the Boss 5.0 block. That is roughly $7,100 for a iron Boss 5.0 block with a forged rotating assembly with 4 valve 4.6 heads. That is just for the long block and doesn't include shipping. Like I posted above, you can get a comparable low compression, forged 5.0 coyote from Ford Racing for $8,350 shipping included. That is with an alluminum block and much better flowing coyote heads, not to mention that is for a complete engine, not just a long block. Even if it cost a couple extra grand to swap in a coyote, I think that might be a viable option. I'm not picking on MMR. I think their prices are fair and comparable to their competition. I just used them as an example. If you just want to add a better blower or turbos to your terminator, then this definitely wouldn't make sense to you, but if you are doing a complete motor build, I think a coyote crate engine might be a reasonable option that might make bigger horsepower.

CamCobra10

Established Member
Besides paying thousands more for labor, new pedal, electronics pack, alternator, moving a few parts around with custom brackets, redoing your gages/clusters and possibly headers...you can get a stronger built 4.6/stroker if you want/blown out cobraheads custom cams for the same price or cheaper than the coyote engine and having it installed..

racebronco2

Established Member
The coyote heads will not fit the any other 4v engine. I would not spend the money on a 5.0 block. I would get A teksid block and lose 70lbs. I would get the Ford GT heads and have them ported. The stock Ford GT heads flow about 20% more than the cobra heads at 500 lift.

cottondoc

Established Member
thanks for the info guys. I agree. Full coyote swap probably not worth the time and expense. I was just wondering if the heads would fit. Now I know they won't. Thanks again.

stangfreak

Established Member
ported heads
cams
2.9 whipple

I have a 2.9 already. that is my next combo. I am watching two 5.4 motor swaps at mustang magic and I was going to do that. But after seeing whats involved, im not doing it.

I would just buy a 5.0 if you like the coyote motor , but would not do the swap to a cobra

Users who are viewing this thread