Coyote swap or 03/04 swap in my 98

1rawsvt_408

ALL GAS NO BREAKS
Established Member
So in the next couple months im planning on swapping my 98 4.6 for a coyote motor or a 03/04 cobra.only issue is im so undecided as to which one.which would you guys think is best for my sn95

pyro1998

Established Member
Ford makes a control pack for the coyote engine that makes it a pretty easy swap from what I hear, The only problem is it does support emmisions, I couldn't do it because my county tests emmisions, so I'm right in the middle of a 03 cobra swap into a 96 V6 car.

1rawsvt_408

ALL GAS NO BREAKS
Established Member
Ford makes a control pack for the coyote engine that makes it a pretty easy swap from what I hear, The only problem is it does support emmisions, I couldn't do it because my county tests emmisions, so I'm right in the middle of a 03 cobra swap into a 96 V6 car.

I can understand the emissions situation I live in California our emission laws r total Bs in my point of view. I'm just not sure whether got with coyote motor or an 03 motor

redrocket16

Established Member
Looking back is probably say coyote is the smarter choice. New powerllant and good reliable power waiting for more power to throw at it when you're ready. Spending that much for a used motor and risking something tearing apart after the swap isn't much fun. Either route is expensive but you just need to decide which you prefer. I do still love my terminator swap though dont get me wrong but the new motor should have swayed me that way more than it did.

pyro1998

Established Member
I would have loved to put a coyote in my car but like I said I would not have been able to get a tag for it. Also I know the terminator motor comes from the factory with forged internals, does the coyote?

crazycarlo

Established Member
What's your price range and what are you going to use your car for? The 03 motor is a good platform and easily upgraded. However some parts are discontinued so unless you buy a whole motor you may have a hard time finding some of them.

2DXTRM

Pushrod 5.0
Established Member
I think so, i know upr sells a k member for a coyote in a sn95 car

Same K-member for a 4.6/5.4 mod motor car. Advertising gimmick in a way, when they can easily say mod motor/coyote K-member (which they do later on in their description), instead of headlining it as a special "Coyote Swap" K-member.

Not sure if anyone has done a Coyote swap using a STOCK 96-04 K-member.

2DXTRM

Pushrod 5.0
Established Member
Complete 03-04 Cobra swaps are still pricey (parts alone), but it would be more of a direct swap.
Ebay example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/33k-MI-03-0...Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cecbdfa0d&vxp=mtr

The Coyote swap is nice too, a little more involved (ex. A/C lines etc, making gauges work etc), but still an excellent end result.

Depends on your power goals to see which swap is more suited to you. Another way is to keep what you have, have the short block done up and put a power adder (supercharger or turbo?) to it.

1rawsvt_408

ALL GAS NO BREAKS
Established Member
I know both will be pricey but I mean in the long run which do you guys think i will be more satisfied with? My 98 motor only had 88k miles so it still has life but I don't if should get a bottle for it have my fun with and then swap the 5.0 motor in it?

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Right now I'm wanting to sell my entire 98 build and do a Coyote Aluminator High compression/custom cams/SCJ intake/ and exhaust on E85 and shoot for 550rwhp n/a..

The struggle is real. I have close to 15k into my setup now, and I wish I went with a Coyote.. Granted my current engine could make 1000rwhp without even trying.. I really want to go N/A

1rawsvt_408

ALL GAS NO BREAKS
Established Member
Right now I'm wanting to sell my entire 98 build and do a Coyote Aluminator High compression/custom cams/SCJ intake/ and exhaust on E85 and shoot for 550rwhp n/a..

The struggle is real. I have close to 15k into my setup now, and I wish I went with a Coyote.. Granted my current engine could make 1000rwhp without even trying.. I really want to go N/A

Yea the struggle is real forsure bro! I have my coyote motor just sitting because I'm not sure where I want to go with my 98

thumper

Established Member
I know AJE makes a real nice K member and motor mounts for about any motor out there. I have one in my 94 cobra that's getting a LS1 very soon. I still have the 5.0 in it right now so I can have fun till I finish the motor. When I'm ready to do the swap all I have to do is bolt in the new motor mounts.

Shake&Bake

1998 Triple Black Cobra
Established Member
I know AJE makes a real nice K member and motor mounts for about any motor out there. I have one in my 94 cobra that's getting a Coyote very soon. I still have the 5.0 in it right now so I can have fun till I finish the motor. When I'm ready to do the swap all I have to do is bolt in the new motor mounts.

Thumper I fixed your spelling error.

thumper

Established Member
Haha no error on my part. I've even got a 94 lightning that will be getting the same treatment, but that's a story for another thread. What can I say, I like my push rods.

Users who are viewing this thread