Coyote vs ls motor's

Status
Not open for further replies.

9secondko

9secondko
Established Member
Guys...

the Coyote is ALREADY supercharged - in the new Shelby GT350. But it's only about 500 hp. I imagine so that the GT500KR will stomp on everything.

This is just the GT motor with an S/C. The GT500s will probably come forged, lower compression, higher boost, etc.

Shelby unveils 2011 GT350 Mustang at Barrett-Jackson — Autoblog

And the new Shelby GT350 is SWEEEEEET. I don't like the S197s, but I love this one. At least the looks. My Terminator is faster already.

The sad part is that the GT350 is basically just a GT with a body kit and minimal boost. the Coyote is tuned in the GT for N/A performance. So aftermarket intake manifold and exhaust will add up HP quite a bit. However, 6 psi boost will do more than 6 psi on the Camaro motor, most likely. guess we will have to wait and see.

Last edited:

exdeath

Established Member
So aftermarket intake manifold and exhaust will add up HP quite a bit.

Not likely. Most of the high performance N/A tricks used to get power out of an engine are only useful on engines that ship from the factory in a cheap and poor state of tune (eg: getting 300-400 HP N/A out of a 2V that only had 260 HP to begin with).

A small displacement engine that comes from the factory making N/A 400 HP likely already employs those optimizations from the factory.

It's like the 3.2L M3 BMW engine with 333HP (S54); there are no bolt ons or 20 HP intakes or 30 HP headers because every last HP is already wrung out of it at the factory; it COMES with tubular headers and individual throttles. To even START to improve that engine, you're already looking at at least cams, followed by a blower.

Finding power left on the table with a 400 HP 5.0 isn't going to be like finding free power on a 190 HP 5.0L with a 1" exhaust and smog pump.

Last edited:

9secondko

9secondko
Established Member
Not likely. Most of the high performance N/A tricks used to get power out of an engine are only useful on engines that ship from the factory in a cheap and poor state of tune (eg: getting 300-400 HP N/A out of a 2V that only had 260 HP to begin with).

A small displacement engine that comes from the factory making N/A 400 HP likely already employs those optimizations from the factory.

It's like the 3.2L M3 BMW engine with 333HP (S54); there are no bolt ons or 20 HP intakes or 30 HP headers because every last HP is already wrung out of it at the factory; it COMES with tubular headers and individual throttles. To even START to improve that engine, you're already looking at at least cams, followed by a blower.

Finding power left on the table with a 400 HP 5.0 isn't going to be like finding free power on a 190 HP 5.0L with a 1" exhaust and smog pump.

Even if that is the case, at least you START with the power that should be there anyway. And it's not like the competition isn't facing the same issues with there less efficient designs. Let's face it. Ford has been pumping out hamstrung ponies for over a decade, with the only exceptions being the S/C'd Cobra's and Shelby's. It's a GOOD thing they are giving people what should already be there to begin with. A stock Mustang should not be outperformed by a stock camaro and you shouldn't have to modify your car stang just to keep up with a stock camaro, so Ford did the right thing here. And we will see about the intake and exhaust soon enough. People thought the 5.0 was set from the factory as good as can be. then there was the mod motor and no one could figure out how to get power from it - no one. Even when exhaust upgrades were tried at first, a LOSS of power was shown on the dyno. then people started figuring it out. there will always be someone who thinks of something Ford didnt' and it will turn out to be an aftermarket frenzy. time will tell, but i think it's about time Ford put out some serious power from the factory instead of relying on the aftermarket community. Now, perhaps we will see the traditionally healthy mofication market complimenting a newfound factory performance focus. And whatever is going into the GT500, you know it will be set up for boost, so sky's the limit on that one. It still shocks me that the 4.6 gains so much power from so little modification.

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
Stock for stock the 5.0L Mustang will pull a good distance on the new Camaro IMO..

412hp@35xxlbs, superior gearing, SRA > 426hp@38xxlbs, 20inch wheels, IRS, bad effective gear ratios.

As for mods, the LS3 will make more power easier. At 3860lbs for a base Camaro with cloth seats the weight will always handicap the easy power that can be made.

S8ER01Z

Established Member
Has any new credible information surfaced yet? We don't know what the weight is going to be on the GT last I knew?

Ubergeist

Established Member
I talked to a friend who was actually working on the development of this engine. He said it will respond to mods.

Then I asked him, LSx good? He said, no.

I don't car either way, I was going to get a 335i, but their HPFP problems and over heating issues has steered me away. Same with the 996;s 911 blow up problem. I don't road race. 412hp with a SRA, is a win. Not to mention it is 10k less then 335i and faster in stock form. This new GT is going to be a hoot.

Built03

Banned
I don't care what the ford engine they are building as weather it be a 5.0 or a 8.0 as long as they put a descent bottom end in it that's all I care about.

Butters916

Established Member
I talked to a friend who was actually working on the development of this engine. He said it will respond to mods.

Then I asked him, LSx good? He said, no.

I don't car either way, I was going to get a 335i, but their HPFP problems and over heating issues has steered me away. Same with the 996;s 911 blow up problem. I don't road race. 412hp with a SRA, is a win. Not to mention it is 10k less then 335i and faster in stock form. This new GT is going to be a hoot.

Your friend that worked on the development of the motor, did he mention anything in specific about where to go on the new motor for power? I read that a new tune could be worth as much as 40hp but what about the other popular mods?

swoosh_stang

I'm not evil, Trust Me
Established Member
I don't care what the ford engine they are building as weather it be a 5.0 or a 8.0 as long as they put a descent bottom end in it that's all I care about.

If you want a forged bottom end, you'll have to buy a GT500 or do it yourself.

Ubergeist

Established Member
Your friend that worked on the development of the motor, did he mention anything in specific about where to go on the new motor for power? I read that a new tune could be worth as much as 40hp but what about the other popular mods?

No, he is pretty tight lipped about the whole thing. He said I won't be disappointed.

40hp from a tune? Where did you read that?

mustangmanjeff

Established Member
Stock on both cars the new 5.0 should pull out just for weight reasons but like everyone else says.. mod for mod we might have some issues

deff 200-400lbs lighter, similar horespower and the gt outhandles outbrakes and has better gears esp with factory brembos lighter weight same horsepower and track pack suspension / gears stock for the gt. :) hell the 315hp 2010 gt beat the camaro in everything but straight line, even then they had almost same 0-60 times high 4's low 5's for both the camaro and 2010 gt, 1/4 the gt wasnt that much slower, and the gt even out ran the 380hp r/t challenger, and not much slower then the srt8
Has any new credible information surfaced yet? We don't know what the weight is going to be on the GT last I knew?
Yes I read that the 2011 gt with a automatic is 3,600 lbs and with a manual it is 3,500lbs

No, he is pretty tight lipped about the whole thing. He said I won't be disappointed.

40hp from a tune? Where did you read that?

The article did say larger throttle body only made a 3horsepower diff when they tested it and the headers were good for 6 horsepower, so basic bolt ons wont make alot, but it sounds like with full bolt ons and a tune you can see a good 60horsepower, thats fine with me when its 400 stock, I can see this car making 400-450rwhp n/a with bolt ons, and with blowers or heads and cams 500-550rwhp n/a anything more or more boost would require a rebuild but who cares it comes stock with 400hp finally :rockon:

I WOULD just be happy to have them dyno 340-370rwhp stock so with intake full exaust and tune have a 380-400rwhp n/a gt with a warranty with just bolt ons its fine for me :) no need to do built motor or blower like we use to have to do to make 400hp in a gt esp a n/a gt is almost unheard of with 5.0 liters hell my current built 306 is 360rwhp a damn stock 2011 gt is gonna be making same power as my built 5.0 pushrod wow how 16 years have changed lol :)

Last edited:

Butters916

Established Member
I cant find the article but im pretty sure the engineers suggested that it would be around 450 flywheel with a retune. Any other details you could leak? lol

mustangmanjeff

Established Member
I cant find the article but im pretty sure the engineers suggested that it would be around 450 flywheel with a retune. Any other details you could leak? lol

Yeah with a tune and a real cai and catback I can see these dynoing 450-460 crank hp. exaust and tune is prob gonna be the bolt on horsepower maker on these cars, headers intake and throttle body dont seem to be it this time,

they stated in the mm&ff ford said you wont get normal gains with throttle bodys,intakes and headers, because stock they already have a large 88mm throttle body they tested a 90mm cant go any bigger really on a 5.0 n/a lol it only was a 3 hp diff, and it already has real headers not stock manifolds now factory and it was a 6hp diff, and they said " you wont see many gaines from intakes anymore being the mustang gt now comes with a new cold air system factory stock "

Last edited:

swoosh_stang

I'm not evil, Trust Me
Established Member
It already basically has headers, might gain a little with long tubes.
There are some minor gains to be had with a CAI, but it won't be much.
Dumping the cats will still net a nice gain.
Axlebacks won't give you anything, just like they didn't with the 3v's.
400whp will probably be the cap on it without a power adder.

red9450

Established Member
I think what everyone needs to look at, is this is the base gt with this motor. it's like doing a stroker kit, high comp pistons, adding better heads, better exhaust, and making an additional 100hp over what the last gt did and still maintaining full factory warranty. I think a good set of long tube headers, proper NA cams, a good tune, and a shot of juice will make a 600whp car, or damn close to it...

swoosh_stang

I'm not evil, Trust Me
Established Member
I think what everyone needs to look at, is this is the base gt with this motor. it's like doing a stroker kit, high comp pistons, adding better heads, better exhaust, and making an additional 100hp over what the last gt did and still maintaining full factory warranty. I think a good set of long tube headers, proper NA cams, a good tune, and a shot of juice will make a 600whp car, or damn close to it...

With powder metal connecting rods and Hypertuectic pistons, I doubt that it will hold up to that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread