Cracked corner on block

Manny"5.0

Established Member
Will all the parts on my 2014 mustang motor transfer over to a 2018 block with no issues. I accidentally cracked the corner of my block. The ear on the driver side snapped off and didn’t expose anything. It just prevents me from using the two bolts on that side for the transmission. Is it necessary to just replace the block or will it still be ok for use. If not that’s why I’m asking about the new block

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Dusten

Established Member
The block can be repaired.
If you venture to a 2018 block be aware that's a gen3 motor with spray in liners.

PC03GT

Established Member
Will all the parts on my 2014 mustang motor transfer over to a 2018 block with no issues. I accidentally cracked the corner of my block. The ear on the driver side snapped off and didn’t expose anything. It just prevents me from using the two bolts on that side for the transmission. Is it necessary to just replace the block or will it still be ok for use. If not that’s why I’m asking about the new block

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app
Are you getting a new shortblock. I just swapped to a gen 3 shortblock. You need gen 1 oil pump, opgs, pickup tube, gen 2 oil filter adapter and oil pan. Then all your new timing components gen1, gen 1 head gaskets and gen 1 rear main

Manny"5.0

Established Member
I’m looking for a block to swap everything to, I just got my gen1 machined with all forged internals from mmr. New oil pump, timing equipment everything all new. So I’m looking for block to move things to

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

PC03GT

Established Member
You're going to have to go to a machine shop regardless. I'd ask them what is the best route to go. Also if you go gen 3 block there are variances like I said before. The biggest pain in the ass was finding a gen 2 oil filter adapter. Goodluck with everything

Dusten

Established Member
Blocks are repaired through a special welding process. But the short block will need torn down so the block can be repaired. A gen 2 block should work. But you can't just swap internals. Everything will need measured and ensured it's all within spec.

I suggest you either a find a complete short block or find a good machine shop and ask their advice.

OX1

Established Member
Blocks are repaired through a special welding process. But the short block will need torn down so the block can be repaired. A gen 2 block should work. But you can't just swap internals. Everything will need measured and ensured it's all within spec.

I suggest you either a find a complete short block or find a good machine shop and ask their advice.

Agree!! If original block was checked/machined/cleaned, I would try to repair it at this point, vs starting over with another used block. Even buying new, wouldn't you have to check piston/bore clearance and ring end gaps (again).

Users who are viewing this thread