Cracked intercooler ?

Phil04Cobra

Aluminator Cobra
Established Member
Hey guys. I had some coolant shoot out of my intercooler tank the last couple times I got into boost. I have a aftermarket tank . I did a hard pull tonight playing with a supercharged camaro and noticed some coolant spray on my windshield afterwards.
The rubber gasket under the tank cover pushed out from under the ring on the cap due to the pressure.
Pump is working fine.
I've read this could be a cracked intercooler dumping pressure into the system. Please let me know what you guys think
I was planning on taking the car to the track on Friday , have a trailer rented and everything. It's not looking good though. Thanks in advance .

Rich'sTRsvt

Established Member
Could also be leaking o rings where the coolant lines go through the lower intake. If it is leaking inside like it sounds like it is then you would have to pull the blower to find out.

Phil04Cobra

Aluminator Cobra
Established Member
Could also be leaking o rings where the coolant lines go through the lower intake. If it is leaking inside like it sounds like it is then you would have to pull the blower to find out.

I was thinking about just replacing the o rings to see if it cures the problem. I haven't lost any coolant from my ic tank other than the little bit of mist that blew out of there from the pressurizing.
I've read a lot about it in the last 12 hours being a common problem.
I could only find one thread on how to go about replacing the o rings and it's kind of vague.
O rings are a week out directly from ford. I might try and find something from a local parts store to get it up and running again but thinking I'll hold out for the fomoco parts.

hotcobra03

Established Member
I would keep an eye on the pump. .

It might be first sign of it starting to fail..they are known to stop and start..you wont get a code unless it loses power.

The orings ive replaced with basic. Oring from parts store..same as fill plug oring..

If you were getting any force help from boost you would have a leak and be losing fluid..

Phil04Cobra

Aluminator Cobra
Established Member
I would keep an eye on the pump. .

It might be first sign of it starting to fail..they are known to stop and start..you wont get a code unless it loses power.

The orings ive replaced with basic. Oring from parts store..same as fill plug oring..

If you were getting any force help from boost you would have a leak and be losing fluid..

Would the pump failing cause the tank to pressurize to the point of pushing the gasket out from under the steal ring though ? That's a lot of pressure to move that gasket as much as it did.

Phil04Cobra

Aluminator Cobra
Established Member
URL=http://s1309.photobucket.com/user/Philharpell31/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsaf68zgfu.jpg.html]
image_zpsaf68zgfu.jpg
[/URL].

Oiljunkie

Adrenaline junkie
Established Member
It's a faulty pump. We used a jumper wire on the relay and nothing. Checked for voltage, pump was getting power. Tapped the pump and it turned on however it's dead. Not moving a drop of fluid.

hotcobra03

Established Member
It's a faulty pump. We used a jumper wire on the relay and nothing. Checked for voltage, pump was getting power. Tapped the pump and it turned on however it's dead. Not moving a drop of fluid.

They get air locked..you can drain fluid and refill and it will bleed and work for a short time untill replacement..

Users who are viewing this thread