Cracked open a few beers and got to thinking. Trade my 2011 GT500 PP for Boss302 LS?

BigDan

Established Member
Do you think I am dreaming or its quite possible to find someone willing to trade. I love my 2011 GT500 A LOT but I just cant get over all the advanced technology and features on Boss LS. Sure I can wait until the next GT500 comes out but I'd rather enjoy the forged 5.0L with Ti-VCT with an added cog drive procharger now.

Last edited:

Riddla

It's for your own protection
Established Member
I wouldnt trade a 2011 GT500 for any kind of boss mustang. Downgrade unless youre really looking into road racing.

Sent with My Massive Johnson

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Sure I can wait until the next GT500 comes out but I'd rather enjoy the forged 5.0L with Ti-VCT with an added cog drive procharger now.

Just thinking out loud, why trade a blown 5.4 for a blown 5.0? :??:
There is no way the 5.0 will flow as much as the 5.4(with the same blower/boost), and by the time you strap a blower intercooler on to the ls, it will weigh as much or more than your gt500 pp.

By strapping on a blower to the boss your are in hence taking away the advantages the boss has now!:eek:

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
Downgrade unless youre really looking into road racing.

Sent with My Massive Johnson
Downgrade depends on what you do with the car. I view the Shelby as the inferior car, only because to me its more of a straight line car. I'm sure the straightline guys think the Boss is a downgrade.

01silverstang

Established Member
It as others have said, really comes down to what you do with the car. I know that the Mustang I purchase will not be out on a racetrack, it will be daily driven, it will go on roadtrips/cruise nights/date nights. For me the GT500 is the perfect car for my use. It has big power, a beautiful sounding exhaust, is an attention getter for cruise nights.

For awhile I was woo'ed by the BOSS as well. Then I really started thinking about it, and the lack of creature comforts and the extremely road nature of the BOSS brought me back to reality. 2010 GT500's used are selling for roughly 5-6k less than a new BOSS, just can't justify buying a BOSS at that point. The LS Boss looks clownish to me... the regular BOSS is the better looking car...

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Downgrade depends on what you do with the car. I view the Shelby as the inferior car, only because to me its more of a straight line car. I'm sure the straightline guys think the Boss is a downgrade.

2011 GT500 with the PP is more than capable on a road course.

Even the older ones are with a few boltons.

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
2011 GT500 with the PP is more than capable on a road course.

Even the older ones are with a few boltons.

Do wa?
YouTube - ‪M3 Killer! Ford Mustang Boss 302 Laps Laguna Seca‬‏

And IIRC, it even beat the GT500 on the C&D Lightning Lap @ VIR.

Remember, also the 'regular' Boss is 10k cheaper (MSRP wise) than a GT500 with PP.

Edit: BTW Just realized you said 'more than capable' I read as 'more capable.' Which I don't disagree with, but think the two cars are made for two different worlds.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Edit: BTW Just realized you said 'more than capable' I read as 'more capable.' Which I don't disagree with, but think the two cars are made for two different worlds.

The same driver drove the gt500 pp to a faster track time than he did with the ford gt(supercar) first time at the track with each. That being said the gt500 pp is very capable on a road course.
Our buddy Gene Martindale took a track pack 2011 GT500 and ran around V.I.R in 2:58.4. For reference, at the original lightning lap the Ford GT ran in, I believe it did 3 minutes flat,

It sounds like the op does not want the boss for an outright track car but for a mustang with big power. As he said he plans to add a procharger to it. I still believe that once a blower is added to the boss, the boss will lose the advantages it was supposed to have in the corners.

Last edited:

908ssp

Established Member
With all the problems they are having with the 2011,2012 Boss transmission I'd keep the GT500. They even put the GT500 transmission in the Boss 302S.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
If you take heat soak into consideration, along with weight, tire wear, consumption of brake parts, fuel and what not, the Boss is the way to go on a road course. If you never plan on hitting a road course you may want to opt for the Shelby.

I had a Shelby GT500 and although it was a first gen car, on the road course it was a heavy sow that consumed fuel, brakes and tires like a Tyrannosaurus Rex. It also felt like I was wrestling a Hippopotamus every time I got behind the wheel. That's the bad news. The good news is I surprised the living shit out of a LOT of people on track with that car!!!

FWIW, YMMV

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

BigDan

Established Member
Do wa?
YouTube - ‪M3 Killer! Ford Mustang Boss 302 Laps Laguna Seca‬‏

And IIRC, it even beat the GT500 on the C&D Lightning Lap @ VIR.

Remember, also the 'regular' Boss is 10k cheaper (MSRP wise) than a GT500 with PP.

GT500 beats the Boss at the Sreets of Willow
[youtube_browser]8RwK-knAv5E[/youtube_browser]

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Same clip I posted up above.

Interesting is how smooth the Boss appears to be on a road course while the GT500 is a hippopotamus!

BigDan

Established Member
Same clip to the link I posted up above.

Interesting is how smooth the Boss appears to be on a road course while the GT500 is a hippopotamus!

Sorry I didn't see your link

Embedded players always get more attention :)

Last edited:

BigDan

Established Member
Just thinking out loud, why trade a blown 5.4 for a blown 5.0? :??:
There is no way the 5.0 will flow as much as the 5.4(with the same blower/boost), and by the time you strap a blower intercooler on to the ls, it will weigh as much or more than your gt500 pp.

By strapping on a blower to the boss your are in hence taking away the advantages the boss has now!:eek:

* Ti-VCT
* 8,000+ redline
* Centrifugal cog drive charger that wont run out of air above 6500rpm
* Lightest way to add power since it uses a air to air IC and is no bigger then the AC compressor off my old ford.
* Cool "Ghost cam" features that make it sound like you spent $3k on cam's
* Torsen Diff
* Launch control is also neet-o

Guys are easily cracking 700whp+ on stock GT's with Boss intakes and Prochargers. A boss should be happy at 700whp all day which should make for one fast ass car considering the stock 380whp Boss is running 11.4's on stickies, just imagine almost doubling the power and shifting at 8,000rpm :rockon:

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Guys are easily cracking 700whp+ on stock GT's with Boss intakes and Prochargers. A boss should be happy at 700whp all day which should make for one fast ass car considering the stock 380whp Boss is running 11.4's on stickies, just imagine almost doubling the power and shifting at 8,000rpm :rockon:

No doubt!

However you will still get more power same weight out of the al block gt500!:beer:

Kewlv8

Established Member

The crew over at Inside Line has manged to put together a test that any auto enthusiast should be eager to read about. Ford's entire lineup of Mustangs has something unique to offer, and IL wrangled up one of each different 'Stang on offer: V6, GT, Boss 302 Laguna Seca and Shelby GT500. In the end, there can be only one...

All four cars were flogged on a pair of tracks, including the 1.6-mile loop at Streets of Willow.

At the end of the day, the GT's 1:28.2 lap puts it right where we expected — a few clicks quicker than the V6 and a few slower than the Boss.

You know the Boss 302's tweaked 5.0-liter is good for 444 hp at 7,500 rpm and you know it's got extra exhaust outlets just to add to the experience. There's a six-speed manual transmission and a 3.73 rear end with a Torsen limited slip with the Laguna Seca package. Opt for that package and you'll get all the go-fast hardware we mentioned above. And you'll pay $47,990.This is the Mustang we've always wanted. With a 1:26.1 lap time it's faster around this road course than a $55,720 Corvette Grand Sport and close enough to the GT500 to make Ford sweat.

Driving the Shelby quickly is work. It's fast and it's fun and it doesn't truly make any missteps, but it's the most work in the group. And with a 1:25.6 lap time, it's also the quickest.

2011 Ford Mustang Track Shoot-Out

Users who are viewing this thread