Cracked valve covers... need some insight

Kris.R

Established Member
Hey all. To make a long story short, I bought some termi valve covers and USPS did their magic and managed to damage them. The driver cover is chipped right where the gasket sets into. Would this leak or cause vacuum issues if I still used it? Thanks.

24814888618_c241b0e4b6_b.jpg
Broken VC by King Ramses, on Flickr

Last edited:

Four Door SVT

Established Member
It probably won’t leak but that said I probably wouldn’t use it and that’s because I’d be pissed if I had to replace it if i did use and it didn’t work.

Kris.R

Established Member

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
I was thinking about that but wasn't sure if it would work or not. For times sake, what page of the 47 pages is that valve cover issue on?

This post shows the valve cover with the gasket tacked in with dabs of RTV (after re-torque of the head studs):

http://www.modularfords.com/threads...Build/page38?p=2178625&viewfull=1#post2178625

You'll be fine using it. Once the gasket compresses slightly, they do a real nice job of sealing. One of mine had a small chip as well and has never given me any trouble.

Kris.R

Established Member
This post shows the valve cover with the gasket tacked in with dabs of RTV (after re-torque of the head studs):

http://www.modularfords.com/threads...Build/page38?p=2178625&viewfull=1#post2178625

You'll be fine using it. Once the gasket compresses slightly, they do a real nice job of sealing. One of mine had a small chip as well and has never given me any trouble.

Thank you for giving me a peace of mind... It was very stressful just thinking about oil shooting out after installing a motor. I would have to go through the gauntlet of removing all of the associated parts to remove the driver side valve cover and do it all over again.

Users who are viewing this thread