Craigslist Scam.... got a bank account number now what

Sp3edD3m0n

Established Member
So I was selling my SUV on craigslist and got a few of the typical scammers targeting me with the same old scheme. They want to send me a check I deposit and send them the money. The check will bounce and I will eat the cost.
Anyways if I am in the mood and have time I usually play around and go along with the scheme. Give them a fake address and name and wait for them to send the check with a tracking number. When the check gets here (checking via tracking number) I lie and say that I got it and cashed it and have the money, however that I changed my mind and keeping the money.

Well today I told the guy I would be mailing him the check back just to make them wait longer and annoy them since I wasn’t going to. He says to send him a money order and I say I don’t have time, so sending a personal check. Well then he says, why I don’t just deposit the money in his account. So the scammer provides me a Bank of America Account number and a Name.
Now I am stumped, what can I do? I was going to report it, but the FBI internet complaint center says I can only report it if I was defrauded. Which technically, I haven’t been yet. Any cops out there know what I can do with this info?

LS2GTO

Established Member
Most likely that account that you are given is some other person's account and not necessarily the scammer's. They rarely, if ever, use their own personal shit to scam people. Usually they are stolen bank or paypal accounts so even if you turn them in you won't do much against the actual scammer. You may however save someone pour soul who doesn't know that his/her account has been compromised.

nxhappy

Established Member
the account is bogus, probably not worth your time ....

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
The best part is that Law Enforcement doesn't care unless you have given up the car. Had this happen a few years back, I got a check told the person it had to clear. Bank called said check was a fraud. I contacted local PD, they said to call FBI. FBI asked it I still had the car, then said that they didn't care since I still had the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
Not sure I follow the scam, you send them the money? Why are you sending money to sell your car?

Last edited:

Kevins89notch

Established Member
Not sure I follow the scam, you send them the money? Why are you sending money to sell your car?

Scammer: "I want to buy your $3,600 car. My business partner owes me $5,000. I will have him send you money orders. Please cash them and then mail me the difference and I'll pick up the car next week."

You get the money orders, deposit them, and mail out $1,400. 2, 4, maybe 5 weeks later your bank calls you to notify you the money order were fraudulent, thus they are knocking your account 5K. The address you mailed $1,400 to is likely a foreclosed or empty house, the email account will never respond again, and you are 100% ****ed with zero chance of getting your money back.

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
I got one of those guys to address and send the check to a police captain at a local department.

Sp3edD3m0n

Established Member
I called BOA and to let them know. It took 15 to get a hold of someone. I told them what happened and then they said they were going to transfer me to the fraud department another 20 minutes later I was still on hold. So after noticing I was on the phone for 45 minutes I hung up. I had stuff to do and could not wait for ever.

Oddly enough the surname appears to be Nigerian from what google can tell me. I doubt its an account with real information so I wanted to BOA to shut it down, hopefully there is some money in it that they will forfeit.

Sp3edD3m0n

Established Member
The best part is that Law Enforcement doesn't care unless you have given up the car. Had this happen a few years back, I got a check told the person it had to clear. Bank called said check was a fraud. I contacted local PD, they said to call FBI. FBI asked it I still had the car, then said that they didn't care since I still had the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, unfortunately this true. I was trying to get BOA to do a review of the account to see if they could deem it a fraudulent account and shut it down. Same with Money Gram and Western Union but seems like no dice.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I got one of those guys to address and send the check to a police captain at a local department.
I did something similar once. Agreed that I'd meet with the scammer who was at Kennedy Airport. I looked up the NYC FBI office address, gave it to the scammer (telling him it was my office) and told him to meet me there at 2PM. I "assured" him that I was very anxious to get the money deal done. To this day I wish I could have seen his face when he arrived at the address I gave him.

MysticRob

Established Member
I called BOA and to let them know. It took 15 to get a hold of someone. I told them what happened and then they said they were going to transfer me to the fraud department another 20 minutes later I was still on hold. So after noticing I was on the phone for 45 minutes I hung up. I had stuff to do and could not wait for ever.

Oddly enough the surname appears to be Nigerian from what google can tell me. I doubt its an account with real information so I wanted to BOA to shut it down, hopefully there is some money in it that they will forfeit.

Not odd at all the scammer has a Nigerian name. Here's a great site about scam baiting, if you don't already know about it. 419 is the penal code for Nigerian fraud schemes to anyone that doesn't know. There's some great stories on the site. I'd like to scam bait but I just don't have the time.

http://www.419eater.com/html/419faq.htm

Something I thought about for this clown and his BofA account. See if you can open a Paypal account using that bank acct info and see if you can siphon all the cash out of it somehow. LOL

UncleSAm

Blow Me
Established Member
ive sent monopoly money, and asked if he can return it with real currency. just for shits and giggles

Users who are viewing this thread