Crazy IAT2 temps = bad sensor?

1990stanggt

Established Member
Hey guys, did some more datalogging today and did the IAT2 temps for the first time. It randomly jumps between 0 , 60 and 128......bad sensor? Just to make sure, this is the sensor located on the passenger side in the lower intake right? I checked that sensors connections and everything seems ok....:shrug:

inuswo

Hopeless SVT Fan
Established Member
Passenger side front of the lower intake on the 99-00 model, and drivers side rear on the 01+ model I belive.

The sensors are pretty cheap, just kinda hard to get to on the 01+

You might also want to make sure it is faced properly.

FordFanStan

Established Member
Sounds like a bad sensor to me. Replace it and you should be good to go. FFS

PS. Just checking, but you were trying to monitor "Downstream Air Temp" correct?

1990stanggt

Established Member
FordFanStan

Correct, it was downstream air temp according to LiveLink, shows up as iat2 when I transferred the config. to the Xcal3. As far as what this could be causing, would it hurt performance any if the sensor is indeed faulty? I also get a code that indicates IAT2 sensor voltage low, so this just confirms the sensor is probably bad.

FordFanStan

Established Member
No it won't directly hurt performance, but indirectly when a sensor is bad; your ECU controls your engine parameters by reading what the sensors in the powertrain tell it is happening. So if it is saying your engine is not warm enough or too hot, your are rich or lean, your IAT's are too hot, etc it will be adding or taking away spark advance and adding or taking away fuel, so forth. FFS

Dbl G

Develop-Mental
Established Member
No it won't directly hurt performance, but indirectly when a sensor is bad; your ECU controls your engine parameters by reading what the sensors in the power train tell it is happening. So if it is saying your engine is not warm enough or too hot, your are rich or lean, your IAT's are too hot, etc it will be adding or taking away spark advance and adding or taking away fuel, so forth. FFS

Your contradicting yourself, yes it will hurt performance by; As you later stated in your own post;

Your ECU controls your engine parameters by reading what the sensors in the power train tell it is happening. So if it is saying your engine is not warm enough or too hot, your are rich or lean, your IAT's are too hot, etc it will be adding or taking away spark advance and adding or taking away fuel, so forth.

I would check as well the function of your I.C. pump and or if your an early model the possibility of a leaking I.C. if you have fluid loss.

Last edited:

1990stanggt

Established Member
Thanks for the info fellas, I went ahead and ordered a new O.E. sensor from Rockauto so it will be here fairly soon. DBL_G: I have an 01 but the heat exchanger is an aftermarket one, and the pump is circulating.

Do you guys think this issue could cause intermitten backfiring? The truck does it pretty much constantly.....? I'll know for sure in the next week and let you guys know what happens.

Dbl G

Develop-Mental
Established Member
If you have a back firing problem, you need to address that immediately. That can be caused by several conditions and none are good. Check your Plugs, C.O.P.'s, Tune, filters etc. Get that cleared up quickly.

1990stanggt

Established Member
If you have a back firing problem, you need to address that immediately. That can be caused by several conditions and none are good. Check your Plugs, C.O.P.'s, Tune, filters etc. Get that cleared up quickly.

:uh oh: Yea that is why the truck rarely gets driven, plus, it's a little embarassing lol. Great news though, did the plug/unplug test with the COPS and quickly figured out the front cop on each side were no good! I just finished replacing both of them and WOW the truck drives so much better!! It's definitely noticeable at WOT but it's even more noticeable at light throttle. It is so much smoother!

I think there may still be one bad COP though. Replacing those two definitely cut back on the rough running issue ALOT, but it still does it within a small range of throttle. Only problem is, the other COPS all seemed good. I'll wait for the new sensor and maybe that'll clear up the other roughness for me. Thanks for all the help guys, it may have taken me a good 4 months, but I'm finally getting this truck running like it should be! :rockon: :beer:

Dbl G

Develop-Mental
Established Member
Great news don't get lazy though :) check out those plugs where the C.O.P.'s were failing and the others as well. You may still have another gremlin.

Zak Attack

Huge Member
Established Member
Passenger side front of the lower intake on the 99-00 model, and drivers side rear on the 01+ model I belive.

The sensors are pretty cheap, just kinda hard to get to on the 01+

You might also want to make sure it is faced properly.

That makes no sense to me, because my IAT2 sensor is on my 2nd runner on the passenger side.

1990stanggt

Established Member
Hey guys, I pulled the plugs to the cylinders with the bad COPS. One is pretty fouled out, the other looks ok i think. (I'm not real good with plug conditions) Could the fouled plug be whats causing the slight roughness that changing the COPS didnt fix? Here is a pic:

010.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread