Crazy Scheme - Am I insane!!!

03Terminator

03 Red Fire Cobra
Established Member
Not to bore you guys with my personal dilema's but I've been thinking a lot about getting rid of my 03 Cobra for the new GT500 when it comes out. (This may be the wrong forum for this but since it has to do with the GT500, I posted it here) The more I read about the new Shelby GT500 the more I want one, 3800lb curb weight or not. Even with the car being that heavy it's going to be one fast mother with 450hp which is most likely a conservative rating (more like 500hp). So now that I've decided that I am with out a doubt going to be purchasing one I have to decide what to do with my current cars (90 GT Vert and 03 Cobra). Yesterday I came up with this crazy idea that would allow me to get, not only the GT500 but a new 05 GT as well. (Not married + no kids = no bills :banana: ) My plan is to sell or trade the Cobra in on a new GT, which if I get the deal I want, would be paid for before the GT500 hits the dealers lots. When the GT500 finally does make it to the dealers lots I could then purchase it as the GT would be paid for and I would have no car payment at the time. I'd prob wait to get the GT500 until the fall to give some time for the initial hype and bugs to be worked out. My only concern is the insurance for three Mustangs!!! :eek: Probably have to dump the vert but I'd wait to see if I could afford it before I did that. :cryying: The GT would be my daily driver and the GT500 I'd take out on weekends. I've read some posts about guys with 05 GT's running 12.80's or better with very few mods. I'd most likely be moding the GT to get it into the 12's with a time in the 12.60 - 12.70 range as my goal. Sorry to bore you with all of this.

So, any one interested in a very low milage 03 Cobra??? Only mods are a cold air intake and a Preditor tune. Rest of the car is all stock, never been raced or at the strip. Total milage is 855 miles (told you I was insane). I've had the car at the dealer for the head tick and it doesn't have it. I've also had the rear suspension clunk fixed. The car is Redfire with a black interior and chrome wheels. I have the stock intake in the trunk. I'd prefer to deal with some one in the Delaware area but am open to other possibilities. Send me a message if your interested and we can discuss price.

Jim

mad mike

Im from the streets
Established Member
How much are you willing to spend on a gt and a gt500? Because here in bakersfield, the ford dealership is selling a gt convertable for 35 large :eek: . I can only guess that the gt500 will sell for 45.

03Terminator

03 Red Fire Cobra
Established Member
mad mike said:
How much are you willing to spend on a gt and a gt500? Because here in bakersfield, the ford dealership is selling a gt convertable for 35 large :eek: . I can only guess that the gt500 will sell for 45.

The GT500 is supposed to come in around $40,000.00 The dealer that I bought my 03 Cobra from does not charge any market adjustment price either. As for the 05 GT I'm looking for a coupe not a vert so it shouldn't cost 35 grand.

Last edited:

miatafreak

Banned
nah you don't want that 05 gt. the styling is bland, the motor is weak, and it has a truck rear end that will shake your fillings loose everytime you so much as drive over a pebble. i know it's the in thing now but that's just because ford is paying the media to hype it. 6 months from now when ford cuts back on the checks nobody is gonna give a **** about these cars and everybody that has one is gonna look like a damn fool. just like everyone who bought a king cobra back in the day.

64comet

Established Member
miatafreak said:
nah you don't want that 05 gt. the styling is bland, the motor is weak, and it has a truck rear end that will shake your fillings loose everytime you so much as drive over a pebble. i know it's the in thing now but that's just because ford is paying the media to hype it. 6 months from now when ford cuts back on the checks nobody is gonna give a **** about these cars and everybody that has one is gonna look like a damn fool. just like everyone who bought a king cobra back in the day.

And how can you say any of that a drive a chick car (i.e. Miata). As far as getting a 05 gt and gt 500, go for it if you can afford it. Personnally I would keep the 03 Cobra and then get an GT500 also. At least that is my plan. And also I thought I was doing good with only 5000 miles on my cobra so far. You need to drive more. Either way is a good idea, just depends on what you really want.

03Terminator

03 Red Fire Cobra
Established Member
RO COBRA said:
I would keep the 03 over the 05 GT ANY day. Just pay off the The 03 and save up!!

Thought about doing that but I want the 05 GT as a driver. Unfortunately only have room for one of them in the garage :cryying: Plus having two Mustangs that suck gas probably isn't a good idea. At least the 05 GT would get decent milage.

blueovalkid

The Snake Pit
Established Member
miatafreak said:

Yea you would be much better off with a Miata. :loser:

CY98Cobra

Established Member
miatafreak said:

This coming from a Miata fan:nonono:

miatafreak

Banned
you can hate on the miata all you want but it is a better all around sports car than the new mustang. it shouldn't be that way, and i wish it wasn't, but it is. you can thank tang for that. i hear he spent over 1/2 of the 05 mustang development money on advertising and hype. thats why no scoops, that's why the cheap immitation leather, the small wheels, no 6 speed, the truck mirrors, truck dashboard, truck motor and truck suspension.

03Terminator

03 Red Fire Cobra
Established Member
miatafreak said:
you can hate on the miata all you want but it is a better all around sports car than the new mustang. it shouldn't be that way, and i wish it wasn't, but it is. you can thank tang for that. i hear he spent over 1/2 of the 05 mustang development money on advertising and hype. thats why no scoops, that's why the cheap immitation leather, the small wheels, no 6 speed, the truck mirrors, truck dashboard, truck motor and truck suspension.

Sorry, I don't agree with you. First and formost I can't even fit in a Miata let alone purchase one. Secondly, the Mustang will destroy a Miata in any kind of acceleration test so even if it doesn't handle as well as a Miata ( :shrug: ) it would be so far ahead it wouldn't even matter. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate the Miata, for me it would have to be a bit larger and have a lot more power to even be considered. Overall it's a nice car, just doesn't suit my taste.

03Terminator

03 Red Fire Cobra
Established Member
64comet said:
Heck miata's look great with a hot blond driving them, but they are made for women and a few special guys. About as cool as driving a moped.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Now that's funny!!!

Captain Beyond

Established Member
I'm kinda in the same dilemma as you are. I want the Shelby too, but don't want the GT. I'm also thinking of selling my low mile 10th Anniv. Cobra. But then again, I might just keep it as it is paid for. My Terminator and a Shelby GT500 would look good in my garage together. :D
Why not just keep your Terminator instead of buying the 05 GT? You could also sell your GT and get a beater for a daily driver to keep low miles in your Cobra. It would be cool to have the two baddest Mustangs ever made in your garage.

03Terminator

03 Red Fire Cobra
Established Member
Captain Beyond said:
I'm kinda in the same dilemma as you are. I want the Shelby too, but don't want the GT. I'm also thinking of selling my low mile 10th Anniv. Cobra. But then again, I might just keep it as it is paid for. My Terminator and a Shelby GT500 would look good in my garage together. :D
Why not just keep your Terminator instead of buying the 05 GT? You could also sell your GT and get a beater for a daily driver to keep low miles in your Cobra. It would be cool to have the two baddest Mustangs ever made in your garage.

I agree, I've actually thought of doing just that. Only problem is I only have room for one of them in the garage and I'd want both of them in there (Shelby and Terminator). I want the GT as a daily driver and then use the Shelby as a weekend toy. I may try and keep the 90 GT vert, if money allows but most likely I'd end up getting rid of it when the Shelby does hit the dealers lots. I just think the insurance on three Mustangs is going to be a little more than what any sensible person would want to pay. I love my Terminator and hate to get rid of it but I look at it this way, I'm giving up one car to get two so I'll get over it real quick!!! :) :) :)

crispy23c

SVT Chupacabra
Established Member
miatafreak said:

Have you ever even driven one, or are you making judgements without driving one? :poke:
I drove one, and thought the ride was too compliant (my fillings did not even rattle). But I guess that's why I like Shelbys, Cobras, etc, while you like the Miata. Not a slap, just an observation from a future Shelby owner...
And another thing, Ford can't even keep up with production, so I don't think this is a flash in the pan...

R1Lello

Established Member
:coolman:

Miata is like a moped.................fun to ride but you don't tell anyone that you own one...................

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
miatafreak said:

Yup the miata is a REAL sports car.

Convertible, how many REAL sports cars are convertibles. You have to have the top up on the track.
1.8liters of pure furry, sorry I didnt know that 100horsepower was considered a sports car nowadays.

When ever i see a guy driving a miata, hes getting hit in the face with bugs and road debris because he doesnt fit, either that or its got a rainbow sticker on it.

xxxzach

Established Member
mad mike said:

funny... all i had to mention to those dumbasses working at jim burke was: "my father's company is an affiliate of ford and since the mustang gt is not a limited production car you have no say in the matter of giving me xplan pricing." they shut up REAL fast about markup and how these cars are so rare blah blah blah.

miatafreak

Banned
crispy23c said:
Have you ever even driven one, or are you making judgements without driving one? :poke:
I drove one, and thought the ride was too compliant (my fillings did not even rattle). But I guess that's why I like Shelbys, Cobras, etc, while you like the Miata. Not a slap, just an observation from a future Shelby owner...
And another thing, Ford can't even keep up with production, so I don't think this is a flash in the pan...

yes actually i drove a 05 gt premium back in february. it was a joke. on smooth roads it rode like an f150 4x4. on uneven and bumpy roads it felt like a covered wagon. seriously it was that bad. it didn't have any power either. back in the day i had a 5.0 rated at 220hp and this car felt slower dispite it's claimed 300hp. i think that once ford stops paying the mags to say it's a good car one of them will do a real test on it and show the world what a turd it is. then it will lose it's appeal and be just like the gto so ford will have to give us the mustang they promised us in the 1st place.

Users who are viewing this thread