Credit card application process

VegasMichael

Established Member
Decided to apply for a new credit card with Barclays since I am already a cardholder with them. I have their Hawaiian Air card and used the miles for free and discounted flights to Hawaii when I lived in Vegas. Good airline and never had a problem booking award travel.

Fast forward: I don't live where Hawaiian Air is prevalent anymore and have no interest in returning to Hawaii(been there 7 or 8 times) so I decided to get their American Airlines card. Figured it would be easy since I already had a long term account with them.

It not.

In the past when I've applied for a credit card I was always informed almost immediately via internet whether I was approved or denied. This time Barclays said they would review my application and let me know by mail.

Yesterday I received the letter and they told me they needed photographic/scanned documentation of both my drivers license and Social Security card as well as a copy of a recent utility bill that shows my address.

Needless to say I find this rather suspicious.

Is this a new thing? Asking because I haven't applied for a new credit card in almost 15 years.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
That's odd. It's been a few years since I've opened a CC account at least but it was always fill out the basics and you're approved.

If that's what they want go with another provider lol

VegasMichael

Established Member
I would call the phone number on the back of your existing credit card to verify.

Simple phone call should answer your question. I've never personally run into these requirements.
I think I'm less worried about the authenticity of the letter than I am curious about whether this is typical protocol nowadays. I've never been required to provide any of these for any card or any mortgage I ever took out.

MDShelby

Established Member
Premium Member
Thank all the scammers for your extra work.

This is what the companies do to be damn sure you are who you say you are. It's usually not an issue with a company that you have a current/previous relationship with. Ask to make sure someone hadn't used your info previously and was denied.

sleek98

Established Member
Part of it might be your recent move. You would think they would be able to pickup the change in address when you changed it on your current card.

JPKII

Established Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I recently applied for a credit account where they required that I provide a video of my face. Moving the phone around so they could capture all sides. Almost like when you first set up Face ID in the iphone.

I promptly said **** you. It was something stupid that was offering 0% interest. Paid cash instead.

JAJ

Rapidly Losing Interest
Established Member
Decided to apply for a new credit card with Barclays since I am already a cardholder with them. I have their Hawaiian Air card and used the miles for free and discounted flights to Hawaii when I lived in Vegas. Good airline and never had a problem booking award travel.

Fast forward: I don't live where Hawaiian Air is prevalent anymore and have no interest in returning to Hawaii(been there 7 or 8 times) so I decided to get their American Airlines card. Figured it would be easy since I already had a long term account with them.

It not.

In the past when I've applied for a credit card I was always informed almost immediately via internet whether I was approved or denied. This time Barclays said they would review my application and let me know by mail.

Yesterday I received the letter and they told me they needed photographic/scanned documentation of both my drivers license and Social Security card as well as a copy of a recent utility bill that shows my address.

Needless to say I find this rather suspicious.

Is this a new thing? Asking because I haven't applied for a new credit card in almost 15 years.
There was a period in my life where I was a high-profile target for identity theft and it happened three times. Twice, one of my online accounts was compromised and charges were made on my stored credit card, and once someone stole a new card enroute to me by mail and used it to successfully apply for and receive a new credit card in my name.

I'm locked down really tight these days, let's just say. Three credit monitoring services and dark web monitoring. All my new replacement credit cards go to the bank branch for pickup, etc.

In your case, phone the bank and ask them if what you received is real. If they confirm, then it's probably them making sure they don't issue a card in your name to someone who isn't you. That's a good thing.

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
I applied for a Continental Tire credit card. If you used this dopey card (28% interest if you don't pay) you get an additional $110 of a set of tires. Continental was already giving $110 back so this would make it a total of $220. I bought a set off tires for the GT500 and my daily, so it took the GT500 from $1100 down to $900, and the daily $600 down to $400. Definitely worth it!

To apply, I had to do the video thing mentioned above, AND they wanted a photo with the GPS on uploaded through this web portal. Also a photo of my driver's license. I'm 800 credit score, never had to do this before, but I said **** it, if I want an extra $220 back, I'll do it. Got the card and the extra rebates. You get 6 months to pay off the tires, but I paid it right away.

I was going to cancel the card after I did my first purchase, but I realized Continental has monthly rebate programs and will always offer an extra $110 if you use the card so I'm going to just keep it.

Last edited:

C2tuck

Established Member
This is SOP for some CC companies unfortunately.

Yep, Chase started this as well. It’s a super pain in the ass.

I have 2 personal cards through them and a business card with $100k limit. Went to open up another account under a different business and had to do all this BS. Literally told the agent on the phone to pull up all my other accounts which she did, but still made me jump through all these hoops.

VegasMichael

Established Member
Thanks for the replies y'all. It sounds like this isn't as fishy as I thought since some of you have had similar experiences. Barclays wanted me to mail the documents to them but I'm worried about sending that stuff through the mail since the postal service isn't all that reliable anymore. My whole identity could be stolen with that information.

I do have IDnotify which monitors my identity. I also have Credit Karma which does monitoring as well.

Anyway, I'm going to search for another rewards card that doesn't require all that documentation.

BrunotheBoxer

PUREBLOOD MASTERRACE
Established Member
Born and raised Brockton. Living in Naples.
Thanks for the replies y'all. It sounds like this isn't as fishy as I thought since some of you have had similar experiences. Barclays wanted me to mail the documents to them but I'm worried about sending that stuff through the mail since the postal service isn't all that reliable anymore. My whole identity could be stolen with that information.

I do have IDnotify which monitors my identity. I also have Credit Karma which does monitoring as well.

Anyway, I'm going to search for another rewards card that doesn't require all that documentation.
My wife is in financial services so i ask her a lot of questions.

Would you be willing to make a deposit equivalent to the line of credit you want?

Not for nothing. But.
I’ll tell you straight away that Any statement I make on this matter is from me not her.

VegasMichael

Established Member
My wife is in financial services so i ask her a lot of questions.

Would you be willing to make a deposit equivalent to the line of credit you want?

Not for nothing. But.
I’ll tell you straight away that Any statement I make on this matter is from me not her.
Why on Earth would I do that?

BrunotheBoxer

PUREBLOOD MASTERRACE
Established Member
Why on Earth would I do that?
Short and straight to the fookin point answer is.

Credit cards suck and pray on people that buy above their means. I’m not saying this is you, I’m saying if you do this you get a much better secured card with much better rewards and you deposit the money into a financial institution and earn interest on it.

How many people you know that are not in debt right now?

Americans can not and will not spend within their means and they **** themselves for life.

Again I’m not saying this is you. I’m saying if you can afford to make a deposit equivalent to the line of credit you want you are better off.

Ask a CFP.

VegasMichael

Established Member
Short and straight to the fookin point answer is.

Credit cards suck and pray on people that buy above their means. I’m not saying this is you, I’m saying if you do this you get a much better secured card with much better rewards and you deposit the money into a financial institution and earn interest on it.
I already do that with American Express. Delta SkyMiles card and have $$$ in their high yield savings account.
How many people you know that are not in debt right now?
Lots.
Americans can not and will not spend within their means and they **** themselves for life.

Again I’m not saying this is you. I’m saying if you can afford to make a deposit equivalent to the line of credit you want you are better off.
I'm not having a problem securing credit at all. I get offers all the time. This thread wasn't about that at all. Barclays already was going to approve me. I just refuse to send them that documentation.
Ask a CFP.
I know more about finance than many people in the industry know. Several years ago I had to sic the SEC on Fidelity because they told me a transaction I wanted to do was not allowed. Guess who won that battle?

BrunotheBoxer

PUREBLOOD MASTERRACE
Established Member
I know more about finance than many people in the industry know. Several years ago I had to sic the SEC on Fidelity because they told me a transaction I wanted to do was not allowed. Guess who won that battle?
I’d be interested in hearing the details of this if you want to talk about it.

Users who are viewing this thread