Credit Report run with Driver's License?

snakevenom99

Shenanigans
Established Member
I went to test drive a car at a pretty large dealership near me. Of course, they ask to see my Driver's License which I gave, and the salesman goes to make a copy. It takes the salesman 10 minutes to "make a copy" and upon his return I am done wasting time and request to have my license back and then leave the dealership.

Today I get an email stating that there are changes made to my credit report, and it lists the dealership's name as the requesting company. I at no point authorized this and at no point did they ask. I have already contacted the GM of the dealership and got all of the details about the event in writing and that they will be sending in the forms to the three credit bureaus to have this request removed.

I did some research and this doesn't seem too uncommon, but my question is how did they run the report without my SSN? Also, has anyone had this happen to them?

MNCobra

Established Member
wow thats pretty amazing...have no idea how they would do that without your SSN number...

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
That's a little shady.

They don't need your SSN though to request a credit score though.

TJSwoboda

Established Member
This is more than a little shady. My understanding is that even among dealers that engage in certain underhanded tactics, you'll find that even a lot of these shady joints never ever run a hard credit check without authorization. I'd call the agency they ran it with (Equifax/Transunion/Experion) and ask what your recourse is.

JaysonMFK

5.0 Fanboy
Established Member
I monitor my report daily, and something like that would seriously piss me off!

oldmodman

Established Member
This is the reason that I have a "do not accept" credit report requests and a fraud alert on file with all three credit reporting agencies. If anyone wants to pull a credit report the credit agencies have to notify me first and get my permission in writing before giving and credit reports. It only costs a few bucks a year to do this and about an hour of your time.

snakevenom99

Shenanigans
Established Member
I monitor my report daily, and something like that would seriously piss me off!

I do too, and I was very upset. The dealership will submit the forms to credit agencies to get it removed. Alas, it shouldn't have happened.

This is the reason that I have a "do not accept" credit report requests and a fraud alert on file with all three credit reporting agencies. If anyone wants to pull a credit report the credit agencies have to notify me first and get my permission in writing before giving and credit reports. It only costs a few bucks a year to do this and about an hour of your time.

I will probably do this now.

stangposse

Established Member
THats bullshitt. I would notify the Department of Motor Vehicle and the BBB.

By them running your REPORT before you negotiate any pricing could possibly give them the upper hand, in a way, when you're talking price. To me, its like cheating or profiling. It all depends what they see. THIS is why this needs to be reported.

JaysonMFK

5.0 Fanboy
Established Member
Please follow through on this, unscrupulous business practices should be reported and if possible punished.

snakevenom99

Shenanigans
Established Member
I will let you guys know what happens. I'd rather not go into detail about anything before it's over. I just wanted to see if this has happened to you guys before.

VRYALT3R3D

Show me your Members
Established Member
I've heard dealerships doing this before. Running credit reports on you without your knowledge.

I would also strongly advise in the future not to let them photocopy your drivers license.

SweetSVT99

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
I have worked in car dealerships for the last 3 summers. In the state of New York we NEED a customer's signature to run a credit report.

I always thought this was the case. Before I started only financing through my credit union, I remember always signing a form before a credit report was ran. I would be seriously ticked off if a dealership pulled this on me now, since I make sure my financing is lined up long before I even talk to a salesman, they never have a reason to know what my credit looks like.

ff500

Established Member
It happened to me. A big dealership in the Boston area called Boch ran my credit without my authorization. I test drove a used jeep srt8, told them I wanted to think about it, the next day I got an email/text from equifax notifying me they pulled my credit, of course Boch denied it.

JaysonMFK

5.0 Fanboy
Established Member
It happened to me. A big dealership in the Boston area called Boch ran my credit without my authorization. I test drove a used jeep srt8, told them I wanted to think about it, the next day I got an email/text from equifax notifying me they pulled my credit, of course Boch denied it.

Seems like that would be a bit hard to deny...

djhubb123

Established Member
I used to sell cars and weve done that before but with permission from the person. The reason i think they did that was to see if you were qualified to buy a car or if you were just wastin their time. but yea that is bullshit.

svtsmo

^ FTW
Established Member

boch's a douche. you want a good laugh? check out savearockstar.com. its all ernie boch crap.

to the op, i dont understand how they ran that without a SSN? or is your license # your SSN? (they use to do that here)

Users who are viewing this thread