Credit where Credit is Due!

AtomHeart

Architect of Evil
Established Member
This weekend I was out driving and actually got the thumbs up from an LS1 Camaro SS driver! I was sitting in the left turn lane, waiting for the green arrow, and this gold Camaro SS with black racing stripes stops in the lane next to me right in the middle of traffic (they had a green light) and waits for me to look over. Now I am ashamed to admit that I was expecting the standard Chevy inferiority complex nonsense, of him doing a ridiculous burnout and being generally obnoxious to show how powerful his car is, but when I looked over, he gave me a huge smile and thumbs up.

Maybe I'm showing my age, but I can remember a time (2 years ago) when someone driving a Camaro wouldn't have turned his head to spit in a Cobra's direction. I just can't believe how much this car has done for Ford's respect. There are actually Chevy guys out there now that don't think Fords are hunks of shit. I couldn't have been more proud. I gave the Camaro SS driver a thumbs up back and then he peeled away gazing at my car in his side mirror as he went.

Remember when the '94-'96 Impala SS came out? That was a Chevy that touched the hearts of other brand owners everywhere. Suddenly there was no more Ford vs. Chevy when that car came up, and even if we Ford boys wouldn't have bought them, we still said, "wow" when we saw one on the street (I still do). Well, now I feel like Ford has come up with a car that is just as capable of breaching brand loyalty and garnering mutual awe from other brand owners. The SVT Lightning was close. I always got crowds of Chevy owners gazing into my engine bay when I had my 2000 Lightning, but they still had their reservations. They would spout lines like, "It's still a Ford", or "Yea, but its a truck." With this car the excuses have stopped. Everyone loves what Ford has done here.

I sincerely hope that GM steps up and gives loyal bowtie boys an equally awe inspiring hunk of iron to compete in the next few years.

Last edited:

rezcobra

Established Member
I still have requests to see the engine!!! Good story and keep on having fun!!! My son actually hangs out with some kids that have an SS. My daughter has a Camaro!

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
Now I am ashamed to admit that I was expecting the standard Chevy inferiority complex nonsense,
Doesn't your sig say "general morons?" ;-)

AtomHeart

Architect of Evil
Established Member
Originally posted by KevinJKD
Doesn't your sig say "general morons?" ;-)

Yea, guess maybe I should change my opinion now. Never had a Chevy owner act civil and respectful like that before. But then...that banner in my signature is kinda referring to the people who make the cars...not the poeple who own the cars.

Last edited:

Hicompression

Hah!
Established Member
Originally posted by AtomHeart
There are actually Chevy guys out there now that don't think Fords are hunks of shit.

That's because they are now forced to acknowledge that GM killed the Camaro and Firebird. Its just that simple. Ford rules the American performance car industry right now. Period.

<---Converted GM hunk-o-shit owner.

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
atom - its ok man, I was just messing with ya. Its all in good fun.

Darcsun

Established Member
I guess I'm the oddball here.... I've owned 6 F-bodies and a G-body. Family owns all GM products... mostly Cadilacs throughout the years. I still like the F-bodies... the owners act wierd when I go over and talk to em. They kinda seem suprised when I can talk shop with em too.

Like I always say, as long as it's American, it's all good.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Interesting post. I'm a former Chevy guy (my '03 Cobra is my first Ford product ever) and had been for 30 years. I once belonged to the CT F-Body Association so I know all about the anti-Ford stuff. I think there are still a lot of Chevy folks out there who would not give us the time of day. There are also a lot of nice, civil folks who like to acknowledge a nice car when they see it, plain and simple. I had a young kid in a lowered Toyota pull up beside me last summer on the local freeway. No, he was looking for a run. He simply wanted to give me a "thumbs up". I did the same to him, even though I'm not a Toyota fan. Sometimes just being nice is, well, NICE.

By the way, these comments are exactly why I love doing shows and cruises. I am always surprised at the number of people who own all kinds of cars who love to talk car stuff. Seems the love of cars transcends the boundaries sometimes imposed by makes and models.

Since I've had my Cobra I've met a few jerks on the round, but far more fellow car buffs who aren't afraid to acknowledge someone else's great ride even if they happen to drive another brand.
:burnout:

NukeX

My Shit Got Keyed, Yo
Established Member
Honestly, I'm still a chevy guy and still think Ford quality control is crap. But nobody can deny the performance, and that's why I bought my first ford :)

xVENOMx

straight boostin
Established Member
im glad you got some respect from acouple chevy guys

sonic cobra

Established Member
I know how you all feel. This summer I was stuck in stop and go traffic at the jersey shore and noticed a new Z06 right next to me. When I looked over at the guy he waved and smiled.Looks like we're earning some well deserved respect for our cobras

Friendchicken

I don't think it's a new-found respect for Ford or the Mustang, rather an appreciation for the package. I'll buy any Ford Truck or Cobra... but I wouldn't touch anything else.

ALLNTRL

Established Member
Originally posted by rezcobra
My son actually hangs out with some kids that have an SS. My daughter has a Camaro!
Your poor kids!!! :nonono:

J/K ;-) :lol:

AtomHeart

Architect of Evil
Established Member
Originally posted by 98kobra
I don't think it's a new-found respect for Ford or the Mustang, rather an appreciation for the package. I'll buy any Ford Truck or Cobra... but I wouldn't touch anything else.

Oh, I agree. I didn't rush out and buy an F-body when that beautiful Impala SS was introduced by Chevy. I would never assume any of these guys have any more affection for Ford, but at least they acknowledge that Ford can put out a badass machine now when they want to.

Zinc03Cobra

Super Trooper
Established Member
good story.. The other day I got in a race with a pewter ss and he gave me a thumbs up, as did I to him... maybe the whole rivalry bad blood thing is fading.. It was nice

Spud04

Established Member
I love both.. hopefully after i get the cobra, in a year or two, i'll have a 98 camaro z28 drag car. :)

possibly.

Ryan00TJ

Established Member
I first encountered a 03 when I was at 366rwhp @ 351 rwtq. He had removed his air silencer and added a 9" K@N filter. We ran 3 times with me pulling 1/2 car once and him doing the same to me the next time. Our last run from a 60 roll we were side by side until the top of my 4th gear when we hit traffic. I gave him big thumbs up and yelled nice car! He returned the same. I'm probably more of a Bowtie man being that my Father had me helping build Marine Race SBC @ BBC since I was 12 years old. I bought my SS in July 02 as it was the last time I could ever buy a Camaro so I brought her home. However I really like the Cobra's and probably spend as much time here learning about them as I do over at the LS1 forums. The power potential is outstanding and for the money I have spent on my LS1 I could have a 500rwhp 03 Cobra instead but I still love my LS1 and would not trade although keeping up with you guys is really gonna hurt my wallet. New mods are a set of Stage II heads which should put me at 430+ rwhp NA and I'm gonna add a 100 shot for you pullied fellows!

Users who are viewing this thread