Critique My Pole Barn Build!

jserr68594

Established Member
I am getting ready to put up a 80x60 shop/storage barn. I plan on putting a partition wall up near the center of the building creating a 34'x60' heated shop and a 46'x60 cold storage area. I

I have attached a door layout as well as a diagram showing how I would utilize the building. I would love some constructive criticism!

Attachments

• 3D.jpg
    3D.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 174
  • 8060.jpg
    8060.jpg
    261.2 KB · Views: 173
  • Pole Barn.jpg
    Pole Barn.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 174
  • 2D.jpg
    2D.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 175

HuntFishCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Holy shit that’s epic! Looks pretty good as of now. Wish I could have done a giant one like that lol. No critiques really. Just put a shit ton of lights in there especially if you don’t have windows.

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
I am getting ready to put up a 80x60 shop/storage barn. I plan on putting a partition wall up near the center of the building creating a 34'x60' heated shop and a 46'x60 cold storage area. I

I have attached a door layout as well as a diagram showing how I would utilize the building. I would love some constructive criticism!
Any need for a separate office area and/or bathroom? Do you need 2 garage doors on the cold side, or is there an option to get 1 slightly larger door? Get good lighting for the shop side and ok lighting for the cold side. Lastly, are there any toys which you don’t have now, that you may get later? Looks good, and I think you’ll get lots of input here.

dynasty_v6

Established Member
Wherever you place it on the lot, make sure you have room to expand off one of the sides...

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
Take caution installing floor drain. Multiple reasons not to.

Here's the specific code IRC (International Residential Code)
R309.1 Floor surface.
Garage floor surfaces shall be of approved noncombustible material.

The area of floor used for parking of automobiles or other vehicles shall be sloped to facilitate the movement of liquids to a drain or toward the main vehicle entry doorway.

The words "facilitate the movement of liquids to a drain"...
the problem? There is no definition as to this particular drain. And a lot of AHJ's (Authorities Having Jurisdiction) have amended the code EXCLUDING the "drain" notation.

There is specific written code for floor drains in the IPC (International Plumbing Code)-

SECTION 1003
INTERCEPTORS AND SEPARATORS

1003.1 Where required. Interceptors and separators shall be
provided to prevent the discharge of oil, grease, sand and other
substances harmful or hazardous to the building drainage system,
the public sewer, or sewage treatment plant or processes.

1003.2Approval. The size, type and location of each interceptor
and of each separator shall be designed and installed in accordance
with the manufacturer’s instructions and the
requirements of this section based on the anticipated conditions
of use. Wastes that do not require treatment or separation
shall not be discharged into any interceptor or separator.
Problem? This applies to Commercial, not residential.

We are talking new construction. I never said it wasn't done in the past- but it safe to say that petroleum distillates WOULD wind-up in the sewer and/or storm drain system- not very environmentally friendly.

All AHJ's will have the final say. My statement is based on the IRC and widely known practices of many jurisdictions.

DAVESVT2000

Established Member
If you’re going to do any type of floor drain, place them below grade, cement over, then after inspections cut them out and put a cover or grate over them.

Users who are viewing this thread