Cross Member and 03/04 Half Shaft questions

CammyTheCobra

Established Member
Did the 99/01 Cobra IRS come with Cross Members? Before anyone says check under my car, I am unable to do this at the moment, until Spring lol.

Also other question is, when buying 03/04 Half Shafts as an upgrade to a 01 Cobra IRS, is there any way to tell they are not just selling you 01 Half Shafts? I know the 99's wont work because they are not 31 spline.

Last edited:

Martel

Established Member
01 shafts

DSC00817.JPG

03-04 shafts

03-04.JPG

The crossmember does not come on 99/01. You can buy them from a few different vendors, FTBR sells the 03-04 member.

CammyTheCobra

Established Member
Thank you for your help. I'm picking up a cross member from a 04 Cobra for a decent price. I read the IRS tech article, which mentioned that as a decent solution. I'm just trying to stabilize my IRS for the strip this spring. Figured a factory one from a 03/04 is better than nothing. I've been looking into half shafts and wasn't sure how to make sure it's not a 01. Thank you

01yellercobra

Established Member
To be a little more clear, the 99/01 does have the crossmember under the diff. But the 03/04's have the tabs added to brace the diff better. It was one of the first mods I did to my 01 when I had it.

And the quickest way to tell if it's an 03/04 halfshaft is to look at the inner CV joint. As the pictures show the 03/04 inner is a lot beefier than the 01 and easy to spot.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread