Cryo-Treatment

csvt98

Road Course Ringer
Established Member
Hey guys,
Has anyone ever cryo-treated their rotating assembly? I am contemplating a Coyote swap with Boss 302 internals and cryo-treating the Boss internals. I want to be able to hold 1k rwhp one day with this. I know the rods are the weakest point, if the treatment is not strong enough, go forged rods anyway? I do not want to spend a ton on the rotating assembly and I want to keep the swap fairly cheap. (Never happens). Also, would the Boss crank and pistons hold that kind of power? I was reading where some stock Boss 302's were in the 800rwhp range, that was why I was thinking if I did a cryo-treatment on the Boss rotating assembly I could presumably make and hold 1k to the wheels.
Thank you.

el jefe 302

Making all kinds of gainz
Established Member
Cheap or reliable, pick one haha.

Most high HP roadrunner motor failures are due to rods, I would run the pistons and crank but put in good rods. IMO. But keep in mind it will only last for so long at that power level using stock components.

RaceRat was around that power number for two racing seasons also doing mile events, I believe she also had a rod failure.(Going off memory)

BlackMamba3

Established Member
No need to worry about the crank. The Boss crank is rated for 1,400HP. As for rods, just go aftermarket now. It'll save you time and money in the long run. And, if you're already upgrading rods, you might as well do the pistons at the same time. If you're wanting 1,000RWHP, get the block sleeved.

Depending on your budget, look at MMR or just order an already built CJ engine from Ford Racing.

Need 04 Wine

Meanest CDN on SVTP
Established Member
So asked this in another thread to no avail.

Why do the coyote motors need sleeves when the old 4.6's could make a 1k rwhp without?

Dizzyscure1

Established Member

Why do the coyote motors need sleeves when the old 4.6's could make a 1k rwhp without?

"Where in the HECK have u been? put over a 1000rwhp to a stock block coyote and send me pics when it happens to not enjoy such an act. U need sleeves when pushing over the 850-900ish rwhp range, everyone's know this for years now."

I posted that after u asked. First off ur comparing two different motors man, second the stock sleeves/blocks/water jackets in the coyote just cant hold that kinda power very long if at all. This has been talked about a bunch, I hate to say this but search it a little and u will answer ur "whys" very quickly.

Simply put u want 1000rwhp+ get sleeves period, no other way around it.

prn1972

Established Member

Because the coyote's water jackets are so big. The cylinder will break into the water jacket under high horsepower. Some sleeve them. Other weld or put supports in the water jackets.

Stock
e02ff0cd522a30c9c6fd0651acdada97.jpg

Sleeved
582b5739184e99493d503bcf16efa84c.jpg

Welded
2ee85304dfe1d1fa4e0639e8e8d4dd47.jpg

Supports
f0536599e7ad2377a2af486954afee44.jpg
971fdc26af84e6942f8dd15242fd3c9a.jpg

Ford Racing Coyote Block
bd72acb151ee68e4d2c5f2107db06537.jpg

Last edited:

5.0GT

Established Member
You can half ass suspension, exhaust and such, not an engine. Do it right, overkill or don't do it at all.

Rotating assembly is less than 2k balanced and rated for 1000hp. How much is the boss internals?

5.0GT

Established Member
You can half ass suspension, exhaust and such, not an engine. Do it right, overkill or don't do it at all.

Rotating assembly is less than 2k balanced and rated for 1000hp. How much is the boss internals?

RAZRS EDGE

Stay Humble
Established Member

I have to disagree with you here. Way, way, way too many people turn a blind eye to suspension when building a car. People can make all the HP they want, but if they can not get their car to work with its given power, IMO, it's worthless. If someone is just trying to have a dyno sheet, roll up to a car show/gathering and look pretty then I guess that's their cup of tea.

Suspension/chassis is just as, if not more important than power.

Aaron@JPCRacing

Established Member
I have to disagree with you here. Way, way, way too many people turn a blind eye to suspension when building a car. People can make all the HP they want, but if they can not get their car to work with its given power, IMO, it's worthless. If someone is just trying to have a dyno sheet, roll up to a car show/gathering and look pretty then I guess that's their cup of tea.

This is why some cars go 10's N/A and some cars go 10's with a blower.

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member

I think he means in general, not that you can throw on junk and go fast. Suspension is damn important though.

justinsstang

Established Member
So what all would you guys use to do a forged motor build the right way to hold 800-900rwhp reliably for 6+ years? I'd that's even possible with that high of power

Need 04 Wine

Meanest CDN on SVTP
Established Member
"Where in the HECK have u been? put over a 1000rwhp to a stock block coyote and send me pics when it happens to not enjoy such an act. U need sleeves when pushing over the 850-900ish rwhp range, everyone's know this for years now."

I posted that after u asked. First off ur comparing two different motors man, second the stock sleeves/blocks/water jackets in the coyote just cant hold that kinda power very long if at all. This has been talked about a bunch, I hate to say this but search it a little and u will answer ur "whys" very quickly.

Simply put u want 1000rwhp+ get sleeves period, no other way around it.

I have been not interested in Coyotes..Didn't own one didn't care. I def missed your last response.

And did not know the water jacket were so close. Got it now.

Was kinda thinking they used lesser grade materials then what the teksid and other generation 4.6 had.

THX

Users who are viewing this thread