Cryogenicly treated rotors...worth the premium or snake oil?

SlowP38

Established Member
I've been bounching through website after website looking to buy some new rotors and pads and I keep seeing cryo treated units popping up here and there. Anybody have any experience with these things? Are they worth the extra money or should I follow that little voice and not bother? BTW any suggestions on pads would be good I've heard ceramics are a no no.

ecoastkid

Established Member
I've read a bunch about it and think its well worth it. I've heard of race teams having their rotors lasting for several races vs replacing them after each race.

Kryo-Genik

My meat is hand rubbed
Established Member
I don't know how it works in rotors the same as it does in knife blades...but blades end up much tougher and last much longer against abrasives (cutting) if the same theory holds true rotors should last longer as well. If memory serves me right the cryo treatment changes the grain structure of the metal (Martensite, unless im getting my terms wrong). However like i said I dont know how well this will apply to the iron in our rotors versus steel, so dont quote me on this please :)

but the longer lifetime thats being shown would seem to hold this theory in a good light :)

04SVTFORD

Established Member
I installed cryo frozen slotted rotors on my f-250 superduty back in May/ June, so I cant really say that they do or dont last longer. I chose to go with them because my stock rotors warped, being a heavy truck brakes make a lot of heat, so I wanted something that would last a bit longer then the stock rotors (even though I got 70,000 miles out of my stock rotors and pads, personally I was impressed). I have read up on the subject and have heard support for it and against it (meaning not worth it). Hopefully someone else around here has had them longer then I have and would be able to shed some light on whether they do seem to last longer or not.

MMCustomworks

Gauge Pod Whore
Established Member
The real issue is how do you tell that they were infact treated or not?
I went with a set of Power Slot frozen rotors, time will tell.

ecoastkid

Established Member
They do change color when its done. If you dig around the web, there are places that will cryo treat any part you send them. Some will do entire engine assemblys for about 700. You do all your machine work except for the final hone and then send it to them. After you get it back...its just hone and assemble. When I say entire thing...I mean everything including springs, covers, rocker arms..etc....not just the block, crank, pistons, and rods.

Kryo-Genik

My meat is hand rubbed
Established Member
ill talk to a material guy here today to see if there is a way to tell just by looking

youll probably need em to look at the grain structure before and after. Otherwise if hes seen cryo treated metal before he should know what to look for. Like I said in a knife blade... you can tell...in a rotor i dunno.

MMCustomworks

Gauge Pod Whore
Established Member
Deep cryogenic treatment is a one-time process that permanently improves the performance and service life of metals from brake rotors and engine parts, to machine tools and gear sets. Using a proprietary computer-controlled process, the metal is cooled gradually to -300°F and then slowly returned to room temperature and heat-cycled as the final step. Although not apparent to the naked eye, the improvements to the rotor are significant. The cryogenic treatment process redistributes residual stress in the rotor giving it an extra level of protection against warping.

http://www.powerslot.com/pages/power_slot_cryo.html

fatal1

Established Member
It's almost impossible to tell if they are treated or not. Does it work? Yes. There are certain materials that it will not show significant gains on but brake rotors are not made up of that composition. I haven't done my brake rotors yet, but the tooling that I have done shows amazing gains. If you use a knife alot, get it treated. That will convince you.

Kryo-Genik

My meat is hand rubbed
Established Member
It's almost impossible to tell if they are treated or not. Does it work? Yes. There are certain materials that it will not show significant gains on but brake rotors are not made up of that composition. I haven't done my brake rotors yet, but the tooling that I have done shows amazing gains. If you use a knife alot, get it treated. That will convince you.

one of my rifles has been treated :)
My HK will be treated soon

MMCustomworks

Gauge Pod Whore
Established Member
FYI, when my Powerslot rotors arrived last month they had CRYO stamped into the rotors and all over the boxes. Also, if you buy these rotors be prepared to wait for them to be custom built. Seems Powerslot only builds them after they have been ordered.

PowerSlotCryoRotor03.jpg

PowerSlotCryoRotor01.jpg

Last edited:

fatal1

Established Member
I got a feeling they wait to get a larger order of them and send them off, or they do it in house. It's more cost effective to do large quanities of them at the same time.

MMCustomworks

Gauge Pod Whore
Established Member
I doubt there are very few L's running Powerslot cryo rotors because there expensive. Rotors run around $200 apiece.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread