Cummins 5.9 vs Cummins 6.7

LOVESBOOST

Established Member
Anyone own a 6.7 and have some input towards it. Good or bad. Looking at this truck with the 6.7, really wanted the 5.9 but this truck is the right price and is in great shape. All I know is mods are a no no with the 6.7. Thanks guys.

Truck Info
07, 24,000 mi, long bed, quad cab, 6spd man

LOVESBOOST

Established Member
wow, nothing good so far from what I have read, although most are very low mileage, this one ran fine with no probs. begining to think I should keep looking no matter how good the deal

DrZacharyus

Banned
Make your way over to the cummins forums, that's where I used to browse. The 5.9 is the better motor, the 6.7 is mod friendly I don't know what you mean by NO NO NO. The 5.9 is a easier motor to work on, make sure you get a manual transmission too!

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
EPA 07' and up diesels are junk. Stick with the cummins 5.9.

HotRodK

Gone to the Dark Side
Established Member
Id recommend the 5.9 unless you want to pay big dollars for your mods. The 6.7 is a good engine, but its still too new IMO to get the reliability nod that the 5.9 has.:beer:

LOVESBOOST

Established Member
I have heard that the emissions stuff on the 6.7 didn't like mods to well.

It is quite hard to find the 5.9 with a 6spd with decent miles and a good price to match

Jroc

Established Member
My dad has a 2001 Ram 3500 4x4 with a manual tranny, and around 170K I think, and that thing runs as strong as a top, and is very tight. The clutch in one makes people who claim Terminator clutches are to stiff look like really big sissies though, and it may make your left leg bigger than your right one.

Last edited:

Svets96

Established Member
Typically any 5.9 CTDs' are good. the 24v debuted in 98.5. The 12v is where its at though. You can also try dieseltruckresource.com, thedieselgarage.com, and like said above cumminsforum.com The only big problem with the CTD in the years I had provided is the nv44 injection pump. But these sites will explain in great detail what you are looking for.

NXSVTCOBRA

The clutch in one makes people who claim Terminator clutches are to stiff look like really big sissies though, and it may make your left leg bigger than your right one.

Something is definitely wrong there. My 2001 has a aftermarket performance (600hp/1300tq rated) clutch and drives like a civic as far as pedal pressure.

NXSVTCOBRA

The only big problem with the CTD in the years I had provided is the nv44 injection pump. But these sites will explain in great detail what you are looking for.
You're confused.

NV is the transmission series NV4500 (5 speed) NV5600 (6 speed), the injection pump you speak of is a VP44 injection pump.

Jroc

Established Member
Something is definitely wrong there. My 2001 has a aftermarket performance (600hp/1300tq rated) clutch and drives like a civic as far as pedal pressure.

IDK, my dads clutch is like driving one of those big flatbed trucks that people haul maybe one wrecked car or something like that on. In his you have to really press down on it as it is very stiff. I think his clutch is stock, but he bought it with around 130K on it so IDK for sure. :shrug:

How was yours like before you added the aftermarket clutch?

NXSVTCOBRA

IDK, my dads clutch is like driving one of those big flatbed trucks that people haul maybe one wrecked car or something like that on. In his you have to really press down on it as it is very stiff. I think his clutch is stock, but he bought it with around 130K on it so IDK for sure. :shrug:

How was yours like before you added the aftermarket clutch?

about the same really slightly stiffer. I only drove my truck maybe 30 miles before I started modifying it so I can't tell you an 100% accurate answer to that question. But one thing for sure it definitely wasn't hard pedal pressure.

shanezt

corn fed
Established Member
op still have q's? i have been working on 6.7l trucks non stop for the past year. i can help you out.

331power

Established Member
Well the 5.9 is far easier to work on and there is a lot of mods, and did I mention realiable as death itself. The 6.7 has a whole bunch of Emissions junk on it!!!! It is still reliable, just dont plan on modding it for a while. What I like about the 6.7 is the new 6 speeds they are a beast!!!!!!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread