Curing Brake Paint (VHT)/Powder in an Oven

GodStang

Established Member
Ok in order to correctly cure VHT Caliper paint or Powder Coat you need to heat the coating for roughly 30 mins at 200 degrees F. Every where I read they say you have dissemble the pistons and seals to put in the oven to bake at 200 degrees F. My question is if brakes see well past that temperature on the roads why do you have to dissemble them to bake? Is it because of a constant temperature instead of a variable temperature? Not really wanting to dissemble brand new Brembos just so they don't say Cadillac on them anymore.

96gt02

Established Member
Paint them, let them dry for a few hours, go out and smash them a few times and let them sit overnight and your good, ive never had an issue with painting my own calipers and doing this on probably 10 different cars..... your way overthinking it lol

GodStang

Established Member
Paint them, let them dry for a few hours, go out and smash them a few times and let them sit overnight and your good, ive never had an issue with painting my own calipers and doing this on probably 10 different cars..... your way overthinking it lol

They are not on the car. I am doing the Budget Brembo upgrade. So I have painted them and they are just sitting there.

"Curing: VHT Brake Drum, Caliper and Rotor Paint will dry to the touch in 15 to 30 minutes depending on humidity. It will air dry overnight. The paint must then be cured. After the paint is dry to the touch, bake at 93°C for 20 minutes. Curing may also be accomplished with the inherent heat of operation. "

GodStang

Established Member
"Curing: VHT Brake Drum, Caliper and Rotor Paint will dry to the touch in 15 to 30 minutes depending on humidity. It will air dry overnight. The paint must then be cured. After the paint is dry to the touch, bake at 93°C for 20 minutes. Curing may also be accomplished with the inherent heat of operation. "

Crap I missed the bottom line. HAHA. Still question remains for powder coating though.

kb67

Established Member
Premium Member
Crap I missed the bottom line. HAHA. Still question remains for powder coating though.
The average time on powder coat curing is about 20 mins at 400 degrees F from what I've found from checking around. You also have some time for the powder to break down and flow out before it cures so you figure about 40 mins total at 400 degrees. From what I've seen on youtube you need to strip it down as far as you can no seals or pistons clean it really well put in the oven at 200 degrees for 10 or 15 mins to make sure no oil or residue is trapped in the caliper. The TLDR is yeah your best bet is to strip it all the way down and rebuild it after you finish powder coating it.

GodStang

Established Member
The average time on powder coat curing is about 20 mins at 400 degrees F from what I've found from checking around. You also have some time for the powder to break down and flow out before it cures so you figure about 40 mins total at 400 degrees. From what I've seen on youtube you need to strip it down as far as you can no seals or pistons clean it really well put in the oven at 200 degrees for 10 or 15 mins to make sure no oil or residue is trapped in the caliper. The TLDR is yeah your best bet is to strip it all the way down and rebuild it after you finish powder coating it.

Ya I usually prefer to powder coat since I do it myself but I just VHT on these. Baked at 200 degf and let it roll.

1CD78D48-530C-4825-BFE4-15D954E14A72.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread