Cwp

VENOM1

6.0MAN
Established Member
I have searched this site but haven't found the information that I am seeking.

I need opinions on the pros and cons of a 1911 model vs a sub compact/compact firearm such as a Glock, Springfield XD, Beretta, etc for a CWP. A little information on myself, I own several firearms of which five are pistols (Ruger 9mm, Beretta PX4 .45, Glock 22 .40, S&W Snub Nose .38 and a S&W 357 revolver) so I am very familiar with firearms in general . I am also a good size guy at 6'5" and 265-270 lbs and have large, "wide" hands. Due to my size, I purchased the full size Beretta PX4 .45 to conceal and it is, well, just a tad bit large to conceal and difficult to find a conceal holster that I like hence, my post.

I have held and shot a Kimber .45 Ultra CDP which I liked but not sure that it is the way to go simply because of the newer technology based firearms that are on the market as well as how it fits me. Moreover, I would really like to shoot a Colt Defender but cant seem to find one to even look at let alone, purchase. Also, I have heard a lot about the 1911 models potentially jamming until you through 500-1,000 rounds through them. That said I have never had a jam in any of the firearms that I currently own. This concerns me because it will be my EDC and I want it to be as reliable as possible.

All that said, what is your opinion? Positives and negatives? Personal experiences? Thanks in advance for your help!

Satyr

Established Member
I have searched this site but haven't found the information that I am seeking.

I need opinions on the pros and cons of a 1911 model vs a sub compact/compact firearm such as a Glock, Springfield XD, Beretta, etc for a CWP. A little information on myself, I own several firearms of which five are pistols (Ruger 9mm, Beretta PX4 .45, Glock 22 .40, S&W Snub Nose .38 and a S&W 357 revolver) so I am very familiar with firearms in general . I am also a good size guy at 6'5" and 265-270 lbs and have large, "wide" hands. Due to my size, I purchased the full size Beretta PX4 .45 to conceal and it is, well, just a tad bit large to conceal and difficult to find a conceal holster that I like hence, my post.

I have held and shot a Kimber .45 Ultra CDP which I liked but not sure that it is the way to go simply because of the newer technology based firearms that are on the market as well as how it fits me. Moreover, I would really like to shoot a Colt Defender but cant seem to find one to even look at let alone, purchase. Also, I have heard a lot about the 1911 models potentially jamming until you through 500-1,000 rounds through them. That said I have never had a jam in any of the firearms that I currently own. This concerns me because it will be my EDC and I want it to be as reliable as possible.

All that said, what is your opinion? Positives and negatives? Personal experiences? Thanks in advance for your help!

This really isn't a choice that someone else should make for you.
Personally, the full-size 1911 was too big for me to conceal easily. I have a Glock 23 (medium profile) and I still only carry that in the winter because of its size. For all other times, I have a .380 for maximum concealment.

Do you prefer sem-autos over revolvers? The Ruger .357 is a pretty awesome piece. Small, light, 5 rounds and great stopping power.

nowornever

Established Member
Subcompact PX4 Storm9mm with the extra long clip gives you a bigger grip for comfort(and capacity) and you already know how reliable and smooth those are if you have a full size 45 now......

ford_racer

King of SVTP
Established Member
Subcompact PX4 Storm9mm with the extra long clip gives you a bigger grip for comfort(and capacity) and you already know how reliable and smooth those are if you have a full size 45 now......

I can't say I've ever seen a Beretta that uses a clip.

VENOM1

6.0MAN
Established Member
This really isn't a choice that someone else should make for you.
Personally, the full-size 1911 was too big for me to conceal easily. I have a Glock 23 (medium profile) and I still only carry that in the winter because of its size. For all other times, I have a .380 for maximum concealment.

Do you prefer sem-autos over revolvers? The Ruger .357 is a pretty awesome piece. Small, light, 5 rounds and great stopping power.

I am not looking for or wanting someone to make this decision for me. I am looking for experiences and opinions on CWP firearms. Specifically, opinions and experiences on CWP 1911 models compares against newer style guns (I am at a loss of words for what else to call these guns) such as a Glock, Springfield, etc. Yes, I definitely prefer semi-autos over a revolver and would prefer a .40 or .45 due to knock down power.

Valid point but I would really like something in a .40 or .45 due to knock down power.

I can't say I've ever seen a Beretta that uses a clip.

I am confused.....

Can anyone else shed some light on this subject?

SHOdown220

Established Member
I am a fan of 1911s, but I do think there are better carry choices out there. The 1911 is too big for that limited capacity, most compact double stack magazine polymer guns are lighter, smaller, and hold more rounds than a 1911. I personally carry an xd40sc, it holds 9 in the short magazine and 12 in the extended. It's smaller and lighter than the 1911 and conceals pretty well.

I would go with a compact version of an xd/m&p/glock, they are all great reliable guns. Remember you are trusting this gun with your life so it better go boom when you pull the trigger. Also find a good holster you like, I use a sticky holster but I've heard nothing but good things about a crossbreed super tuck so maybe look into one.

Redfire03

Established Member
1911's are good guns regardless of what anyone says. Just like any gun the require training so that you can recognize when a malfunction happens and you know how to effectively deal with it.. The reason I have never chosen to carry a 1911, is because of the initial cost of a quality gun, the long barrel length, and the limited capacity.

From my experience if you are planning on carrying all day a .45 can become very heavy and uncomfortable. What is you reasoning for choosing .45 over another caliber?

I carry a couple of different firearms in a variety of holsters.

I have a Ruger SR40C, its a compact that I carry in a Crossbreed inside the waistband. Its really comfortable but you can definitely tell you are wearing it. If you have it in the wrong position it will can poke you and carrying it while driving a car with bolstered seats is very uncomfortable.

I carry the same way with a Ruger LCP, the gun is small enough that you cant even tell you are carrying it.

I've carried a full size 1911 on my belt before. It was fairly comfortable, but I really had to dress to conceal it and it was heavy.

My most recent holster is a Raven Concealment Vangaurd system for my Glock and is by far the most comfortable versatile holster I have every owned. Its really compact, comfortable and allows you to mover the gun around.

VanGuard 2

slow2002gt

Detective Kia
Established Member
During the winter I prefer to carry the 1911 because now I can conceal the damn thing lol. I carry it in a shoulder holster, Ive never had the gun jam on me and Ive probably put about 500 rounds through it.
Its one of my favorite guns I feel its alot more accurate than the glock 23 or the springfield XD but thats just me.
Now even though your a big guy the 1911 is rather pain to hide and Im not sure about where you are located but here even imprinting causes quite a stir.

gun.gif

chinchilla

Established Member
I carry a glock 30, 10+1 of .45 in a compact size gun, i carry it with a crossbreed super tuck holster. I love it but something like this is really all about personal preference. So try and find something that is the right size and that you are comfortable shooting, as for size I'm 6'0" 205 and have no problems concealing it. Good luck finding the right firearm.

Jroc

Established Member
I am confused.....

Can anyone else shed some light on this subject?

He's just being a smart ass.

People like to get bent over stupid shit over the internet. Kind of like when someone calls a Terminator a Termi. Clip is just a name people call a magazine, and it's not the technical name for the part, but it's referred to as a clip so much that I choose not to let it bother me.

VENOM1

6.0MAN
Established Member
I am a fan of 1911s, but I do think there are better carry choices out there. The 1911 is too big for that limited capacity, most compact double stack magazine polymer guns are lighter, smaller, and hold more rounds than a 1911. I personally carry an xd40sc, it holds 9 in the short magazine and 12 in the extended. It's smaller and lighter than the 1911 and conceals pretty well.

I would go with a compact version of an xd/m&p/glock, they are all great reliable guns. Remember you are trusting this gun with your life so it better go boom when you pull the trigger. Also find a good holster you like, I use a sticky holster but I've heard nothing but good things about a crossbreed super tuck so maybe look into one.

You actually hit the nail on the head regarding polymer guns vs 1911's which is what I was trying to say; I was obviously tongue tied. With your remarks regarding 1911's why are you still a fan of conceal carrying one? I too have heard great things about Crossbreed holsters.

1911's are good guns regardless of what anyone says. Just like any gun the require training so that you can recognize when a malfunction happens and you know how to effectively deal with it.. The reason I have never chosen to carry a 1911, is because of the initial cost of a quality gun, the long barrel length, and the limited capacity.

From my experience if you are planning on carrying all day a .45 can become very heavy and uncomfortable. What is you reasoning for choosing .45 over another caliber?

I carry a couple of different firearms in a variety of holsters.

I have a Ruger SR40C, its a compact that I carry in a Crossbreed inside the waistband. Its really comfortable but you can definitely tell you are wearing it. If you have it in the wrong position it will can poke you and carrying it while driving a car with bolstered seats is very uncomfortable.

I carry the same way with a Ruger LCP, the gun is small enough that you cant even tell you are carrying it.

I've carried a full size 1911 on my belt before. It was fairly comfortable, but I really had to dress to conceal it and it was heavy.

My most recent holster is a Raven Concealment Vangaurd system for my Glock and is by far the most comfortable versatile holster I have every owned. Its really compact, comfortable and allows you to mover the gun around.

VanGuard 2

I was thinking of a .45 simply due to knock down power but after a good amount of research today I an thinking a .40 makes most sense. Your point regarding weight of a .45 is something that I hadn't, strangely enough, considered.

Obviously, it would be easiest to carry a compact or sub compact but I am unsure if it will fit my grip well enough. Looks like a trip to Bass Pro, Gander Mountain and Sportsman's Warehouse is in order. I figure, if I hit up those three stores I can hold about every firearm that is available and then rent and shoot my favorites of the bunch.

During the winter I prefer to carry the 1911 because now I can conceal the damn thing lol. I carry it in a shoulder holster, Ive never had the gun jam on me and Ive probably put about 500 rounds through it.
Its one of my favorite guns I feel its alot more accurate than the glock 23 or the springfield XD but thats just me.
Now even though your a big guy the 1911 is rather pain to hide and Im not sure about where you are located but here even imprinting causes quite a stir.

gun.gif

I agree that a 1911 would be rather difficult to fully hide. I live in Denver and with the Aurora movie theater shooting that happened a lot of people are extremely sensitive about imprinting and carrying which is drama I just do not want to deal with. BTW, nice piece!

I carry a g27 with a +2 extension in an a king tuk iwb holster

I will look into the G27 + 2 setup, thanks!

QUOTE]

A clip is something used to load bullets into a gun. A magazine is what holds said bullets.

Ha, that is funny, I have never thought of it that way as I call the magazine a clip all the time.

I carry a glock 30, 10+1 of .45 in a compact size gun, i carry it with a crossbreed super tuck holster. I love it but something like this is really all about personal preference. So try and find something that is the right size and that you are comfortable shooting, as for size I'm 6'0" 205 and have no problems concealing it. Good luck finding the right firearm.

Thanks, Glock is definitely on my list.

Thanks for everyone's help, it's greatly appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread