cylinder head help

BlkThunderbolt

Established Member
I recently experienced the glorious spark plug ejection from my cylinder head last week and am looking to upgrade to new heads but havent seem to found any other than summit. Does or has anyone ever done a head swap on these or is it better to just go one for one with a new engine?

2002 Lightning JLT CAI mild tune LT true dual 60k
New project in work

Jroc

Established Member
I guess you need to figure out what you're wanting to do with your truck, and how deep you want to dig into your pockets. If you want to go built I woulld go with some TFS heads or at least some good ported heads.
FORD 4.6L/281 Ford modular V8 Trick Flow Specialties Cylinder Heads - SummitRacing.com

If you're just wanting to replace with some stock heads then here you go. These should be the latest 8 thread production heads.
Ford Racing 4.6L Performance Improvement Cylinder Heads M-6049-P46 - SummitRacing.com
Ford Racing 4.6L Performance Improvement Cylinder Heads M-6050-P46 - SummitRacing.com

BTW I can't remember, but I believe all the old 5.4's were Windsor motors, and these are Romeo heads. Windsor 2v heads used more valve cover bolts than the Romeo heads,(13 vs 11) and the Windsor heads uses 5 main caps to hold the cams in the heads, and the Romeo heads use 2 main girdles. Also Romeo heads have bolt on cam gears where the Windsor heads use pressed on cam gears. Romeo heads can be made to work on Windsor motors, and vice versa fairly easily though. Also Windsor motors use bigger bolts for the timing/cam cover.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread