Daily beater owners I need your advice

MachJoe

Established Member
I have a 98 4Runner with 182k miles that is my daily beater. I've been working on it for the past 5 weekends to fix all the problems (timing belt, water pump, all sway bar links and bushings, steering rack bushings, and probably more I can't think of right now). I don't mind working on vehicles, but this layout was designed by complete retards. Yesterday, the CEL came on and my power steering started to go. Apparently, the CEL is from a bad cat... This car isn't nickel and diming me anymore, it is fifty and hundreding me. In order to fix the power steering, I have to take the fan out which means I have to drain the radiator (3rd time now) and I'm kinda burned out, especially working in a garage in 100+ degree weather. What would you guys do? Cut your losses and just sell it? Fix it? Park it in the ghetto and hope someone steals it? 2jzgte it? :rolling: IF I fix it, pretty much everything in it would be brand new then...

NC85

Lurker for Life
Established Member
Go grab some beers and leave it alone for a few days. Come back and fix it. Then drive it until the wheels fall off.

180k on a Yota is nothing. You've got another 100k to burn.

SHOdown220

Established Member
Older Toyota 4 wheels drives are a blast but they are a huge headache to work on. I honestly just got tired of fixing my beater so I bought a new car. Yeah I have a car payment but I can drive anywhere any time and not worry about a thing. I enjoy working on cars but not my only transportation lol. Not saying that route is best for everyone but it's the one I chose and I'm happy.

I also like the peace of mind knowing exactly what my car has been through and had serviced since day one. It's mind boggling the amount of people who do zero maintenance except change the oil every 10k miles and wonder why their shit breaks.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
for the cat converter, do the 18mm spark plug non fouler trick. worked wonders for me and my Hyundai and passed emissions with no CEL on. cost about $15 and an hour of your time to get done and installed.

greenstang1313

back in black
Established Member
i remember when my friend had a 4runner in highschool we spent 2 hours trying to figure out the oil filter, took forever to find the stupid little flap in the wheel well

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Usually the 4runners are pretty durable, even rust belt cars.

Though it sounds like this particular one is going to be a headache.

Id fix it up and sell it and get something else. Let someone else deal with it.

Mjavant1985

Figgy (Cam) Newton
Established Member
I feel the same way OP. My beater is in great overall condition, just all the electronics are starting to go out one by one. Last week the master power window switch went out, fixxed that, now the back driver side window doesn't go down, the a/c compressor kicked the bucket a month ago ($300).

04svtterm

Established Member
honestly man...if you have came this far with repairs....might as well bite the bullet and go all the way. If it causes problems again then dump it, don't dump it for another beater. Get a newer car in the $15k range. Sell the 4 runner as is and use that money for a down payment. long as your montly payment is under $300 i think that should still save money compared to the repairs you are doing.

Blown_By_You

Richard Head
Established Member
I just started having issues with my 182k Eclipse beater. Its goin down the road. A beater is great till it starts becoming unreliable. After that point, its lost its purpose.

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Dump it. I chased a Malibu for about $4000 worth always thinking the next fix was the last and it never was. Bought a 97 Honda Accord 5-spd and run the snot out of it. The money I save on repairs buy me other toys and good beer.

oneslo5.0

Established Member
If this is the "last part" to replacing everything like you say, then fix it and in theory should have alot of life left.

Granted I have spent $1000 getting my honda into the condition I have wanted in the past year....

Users who are viewing this thread