Daily Driver setup

Jensanity

Established Member
Hey guys, I know this will be subjective, but I want some opinions. For a daily driver what is the best setup? I remember a comment from another thread where a guy stated it's hard to beat a pullied and ported cobra in town as far as being fun goes. Is there something about the way the power comes on with the eaton that makes it more fun around town than a TS version or turbo version? I will rarely see the track and am ported and pullied now with longtubes and supporting mods. I need wider tires and some suspension upgrades to plant the power better as is, but I'm curious if a bigger blower would be better for day to day driving and light to light romps once those issues are addressed. I honestly figured more power more fun, but that comment made me wonder. Is there something different about the torque curves etc.? that could lead someone to believe the ported eaton is a better street setup? Really hope this doesn't come across as stupid as I'm thinking it will lol. Thanks for any feedback in advance.

Jmurrz

Established Member
For a daily, I think that a ported eaton is the perfect amount. Any more power than that and I think it becomes sort of useless on the street due to traction issues. A ported eaton car is enough to hang with/ beat most things on the road anyway. IMO, work on planting what you have first.

HandBanana

Established Member
For a daily, I think that a ported eaton is the perfect amount. Any more power than that and I think it becomes sort of useless on the street due to traction issues. A ported eaton car is enough to hang with/ beat most things on the road anyway. IMO, work on planting what you have first.

Agreed. A full bolt on, ported Eaton car will put down 500+whp and the torque curve is insane. That set-up will be enough to handle 90% of the cars you run across and yet it will still retain near factory reliability and drivability. Can't lose.

Jensanity

Established Member
Preciate the feedback guys! How about the best bang for your buck addition to plant the power I have? I'm guessing wider tires since mine are factory width?
I have Toyo Proxie R1r out back right now.

Last edited:

HandBanana

Established Member
No. FTBR IRS kit and a Maximum Motorsports grip box. Not the full on race package but the street box, $1800, would be a great way to put your power to the ground. Then worry about tires.

2003cobra22

Corn Fed
Established Member
My car is a daily driver my setup runs great mods are listed in my sig...gonna change to a JLT CAI intake though

Last edited:

HURTNEM

Well Blow Me Down!!!
Established Member
With my ported eaton I made 518 RWHP/543 RWTQ. I have H&R Race Springs, Delrin IRS Bushings, IRS Brace, Sub Frame Connectors and had Nitto NT555Rs (315/35/17s on stock 17x9 wheel) and I had to ride my clutch 1/4 through 1st gear and could floor it after that. No wheel hop or anything unless the roads were cold towards the winter time. Other than that no problem. Nitto NT555Rs run narrower than other brands, so that's why you can get away with putting them on a stock wheel. With the 17x10.5 replica wheel on the back you can run Nitto NT05Rs, MT ET Street IIs, Hoosier Drag Radials or Toyo R888s all in 315/35/17. It didn't take me a lot of money and I told you exactly what suspension mods I have and my wheel hop is gone. I would do the same thing over again before I spent money on any of the IRS kits being sold. Just my thoughts!

KevinD92

Established Member
I was in the same bubble. If I keep mine, I'm going Whipple or KB since you'd still need the supporting mods for the ported blower. You will want more. Period. Lol

ctgreddy

Established Member
Mine was a daily driver my first summer of ownership. was a basic upper pulley setup and that made 458whp and 530 with a small shot. This set up has been great to me, the first summer I had it I put like 5k miles on it alone and even drove it 2k miles from michigan to myrtle beach that summer and averaged 24mpg.

these cars are the perfect ones if you want a dd that can make 450-500whp with simple mods and be very reliable. The biggest issue would be the stock clutch and likely hood of the stock tob failing.

fs308

4v noob
Established Member
Im hoping my build turns out to be a nice dd set up.
99 cobra
ported eaton swap
2.65 upper
jlt hb
cobra cams
dragon tb
dragon plenum
and misc

Hoping to hit 500-520

hotcobra03

Established Member
as a dd with traffic..I say traction is most of the problem..

Than really your lucky to get past 3rd gear...

I suggest 373s with rear upgrades..

I found 373s help alot in traffic ..that clutch is stiff

Ours has been a dd since new..

Enjoy

fs308

4v noob
Established Member
I was thinking 3.73s-4.10s
I bet the ported eaton with 4.10s would be a blast to drive

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
I would never want to daily drive a terminator period. My F150 is so comfy and quiet ;-)

:dw: ... maybe, what kind of fun is that?? with the terminator I look forward to commuting to and from work everyday. when I take my truck it is like ho-hum

8gtoklr

Established Member
I DD mine locally 2 days a week then 3 days plus weekend is 30 miles one way. I have 4.10s, 315 tire, the softest clutch pedal in the Cobra you'll every get. I have Koni and Eibach pro and factory suspension with new rubber except for the rear (Full tilt later), I ditched the stock seats for Scat Pro Pleather seats with much more support (weight savings to) I have a tune, single Accufab/plenum, mac cai and I love the driving with this combo. I can break loose (wheel hop lol) at will. I hardly get into boost due to the fact im in 2 lane residential. Freeway I do sometimes lol who doesnt ha ha.

ttk53

Established Member
Im hoping my build turns out to be a nice dd set up.
99 cobra
ported eaton swap
2.65 upper
jlt hb
cobra cams
dragon tb
dragon plenum
and misc

Hoping to hit 500-520
:dw:
I hope your engine has internal mods for that 2.65 pulley. My car made 513 with that upper on the stock 8.5 comp motor.

Users who are viewing this thread