Daily driving a built motor

92fiveohfox

Established Member
Does anyone here daily drive a built motor 5.0? I don't mean I drive it every day it's nice and have a beater . Truly daily drive rain or shine every day 20+ miles. How reliable is it compared to the stock motor? Any longevity concerns? Breaks/needs fixing all the time and bad idea?

FATHERFORD

Established Member
Really all you need to worry about is what type of forged pistons you use. The "weaker" forged pistons should last a long time.

2618 pistons the engine might need to be rebuilt every 75-100k miles or so because of the needed clearance.

2012csgt

Established Member
I daily drive mine everyday. I have 37k miles and have a built Motor and a Vortech since 13k miles. I feel it's even more reliable than a stock motor and don't worry much about it breaking. I would be more concerned if it was a stock motor.

92fiveohfox

Established Member
Really all you need to worry about is what type of forged pistons you use. The "weaker" forged pistons should last a long time.

2618 pistons the engine might need to be rebuilt every 75-100k miles or so because of the needed clearance.

What power level are the "weaker" pistons good for?

Thanks 2012csgt, that's the kind of info I like to hear.

Anyone have any bad experiences dding a built motor?

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member
What power level are the "weaker" pistons good for?

Thanks 2012csgt, that's the kind of info I like to hear.

Anyone have any bad experiences dding a built motor?
The FRPP Aluminator uses the "weaker" forged pistons and people dont seem to have issues with those until 18+psi (from what I have read).

Users who are viewing this thread