Damn Liberty Tax Service

J-Hem

Guy Trilby
Established Member
The dancing statue on the corner should have been my first clue. I used these guys in 2012 to file because I had just moved to the state and my PC was in storage. Just finished my 2014 taxes and happened to take a glance at my 2012 return that they did. They forgot to exclude $18,000 (pension exemption) from my AGI for the state so I overpaid a lot. I am going in tomorrow to see what they can do to amend it and get my money back from 2012. Hopefully they can fix it with minimal grief. I'm gonna try to get my $159 tax prep fee back also since it is satisfaction guaranteed and forgetting an $18K deduction from AGI is a pretty egregious error.

Any of you guys ever have issues with a tax prep place after the fact?

Yes. I just started filing my own a few years back because I found I knew more about the tax codes then most of these dinks they have helping you. When I had to remind one of these dudes that points and fees on my new mortgage at the time was tax deductible I had a revelation. I shouldn't have to pay somebody that I'm having to remind of something like that. Clowns...

Last edited:

sosslow

Established Member
You can do a 1040x yourself or I would take it to a CPA. I was in a similar situation and I think you have 5 years to make an amendment. Brought in all my paperwork, the CPA got me back 5k and charged $250.

TK Doom

Established Member
I doubt you'd need a CPA to do a 1040x.

Especially since you have all the supporting documents already.

I just use TurboTax...have for years...

derklug

Seriously? No, never.
Established Member
Premium Member
Last few years for me have been nuts, deaths, early retirements, legal settlements, yada, yada, yada. My accountant has handled it all well. This should be my last year using him, next year I should be down to just a Turbo Tax return. Hopefully they make you right, but if not, a CPA can correct it rather quickly.

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
A close friend of ours is a CPA. She is the only person I'd let do my tax return. She does very well at finding every possible deduction. If I had a pretty simple return (which I don't), I'd probably consider Turbo Tax.

Mentos

Earn this
Established Member
I worked for a large accounting firm for a while in the past. It was a big laugh when the dancing Liberties came out.

OP you shouldn't have a problem fixing it. You will likely need to have it amended. In that case just let a reputable CPA deal with it so you have no worries. Just my 2 cents.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
A close friend of ours is a CPA. She is the only person I'd let do my tax return. She does very well at finding every possible deduction. If I had a pretty simple return (which I don't), I'd probably consider Turbo Tax.

Same here, except our taxes are very simple. We have a close friend who's been doing this for 30 years and it's only her and one other person. She's extremely throughout, fast, cheap (IMO) and best of all, I don't have to stress whether I'm doing something right or not.

jcthorne

Established Member
The only year I ever got audited was the year I used a CPA to 'find every deduction'. End result was that defending myself in the audit was far more expensive than the taxes I would have paid.

KISS

Avoid audits.

Users who are viewing this thread