DAMN, REAR-ENDED, advise...

Striped97

Established Member
So on sun my buddy took my car with a friend to go somewhere and was rear-ended in stop in go traffic. he got her insurance, name and everything and had the cops come out but no tickets were given. Busted bumper and bent exhaust were really the only thing done. He said he tapped the car in front of him and i can kinda see just a veeerrrrry small thing (but you better believe i'm going to be askin for the money for that to get fixed). Talked to her insurance and their going to take care of everything but it just doesn't do justice to fix these things on our cars and be done. Figure i'm going to get a brand new cat-back (have the flow cat-back right now), just dont see how they'd bend the pipes back to fit perfectly. Any advice on anything else? Should i get the fenders rolled at the same time to knock out two birds with one stone?

Last edited:

coild

Established Member
Why the hell would you trust your Cobra with anyone???????
Even your buddy. I never loan my vehicles to anyone; I will take them where they need to go. How do you know he wasn't screwing around with your Cobra and caused the accident?
I'm trying not to bust your balls... but a Terminator just does not seem to be on the list of cars you would 'loan out'.
You should try your best to have the enitre cat-back replaced. If the pipes are bent or damaged in any way, you should not have someone simply try and 'straighten' them.
Sorry this happened, man, and best of luck.

Last edited:

Fat-cat

Established Member
Why the hell would you trust your Cobra with anyone???????
Even your buddy. I never loan my vehicles to anyone;

Lol easy buddy its a Mustang....i would not let some kid jump in the seat and now with the whipple if you have not driven a 400whp car i probably wont let them drive but in the end its just a car.

I would get a new cat back they wont be able to fix the one thats on the car if its bent. Get as much replaced as you can will all oem parts ( bumper covers ) and have a really good shop quote the paint so it will actually match.

Sorry bout your car man good luck

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
I let my buddy drive my cars, but hes a much better driver than I am.

Sucks, at least he wasnt at fault. Her insurance should cover everything, whether the catback needs to be replaced or can be repaired is another story. Their insurance will choose a shop for you to go to, or you can choose your own. Said shop will decide whether or not the catback is salvageable or not.

if it was stop and go traffic, i dont see how the catback could be that badly damaged. Youd be surprised what someone can do to piping with a little fab skills

Striped97

Established Member
Trust me i dont let just anyone drive my car, he's a real good friend i've known for 8 years or so. Ya both the pipes are bent out some and all scratched up. I almost dont want to drive it b/c one pipe is pretty close to the tire but it clears alright. I agree with ^, i just dont see how someone can get it bent back to fit perfect again. I was thinking about taking it to Extreme collision in Plano, i've heard some good things about them but then again i haven't heard much.

Qwk GT

Established Member
Like others have said, that sux. Hope it works out for you. Agreed on the part on not letting anyone drive my car. I think the only person I would trust is my fiance. Only cause she knows how meticulous I am with my car.

So far I've turned down my future brother in law, brother, and father when they've asked to drive it, lol. As far as my friends go, don't really think I'd trust any of them, unless it was my one friend I've known for like 10yrs, but even he knows better and doesn't ever ask.

4sdvenom

Never Enough!
Established Member
Do yourself a BIG favor and put it up on jackstands and inspect the seals at the pinon flange on the rear end and also at the tailshaft of the transmission. Also do a real good look over your driveshaft and U-joints!

I had the same thing happen a number of years ago with my Mustang GT, and settld with the lady's insurance to repair the bumper damage and exhaust damage. Little did I know that she actually hit the rear end as well and jammed the driveshaft into the tranny enough to damage the seal. It wasn't enough to notice any spots on the ground, but must have leaked tranny fluid while driving, because the tranny went dry, and then went boom! It blued every gear in the case and was junk. I had to buy a new 5 speed out of pocket, since I had already signed off and settled!

Ken

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I have a friend who owns a well respected body shop in the area. Here is something most people don't know. If your car is damaged in an accident, you have the absolute right to choose WHO does the work. You also have the right to have the work done to YOUR satisfaction. Too many people just let their insurance company (or the other insurance company) dictate who does the work and what is done. In this case, regarding the dented exhaust pipe, tell the insurance company that you want the entire catback replaced. Don't settle for anything less.

Jr Mint

Established Member
Sucks that happened, try to get new replacements! And it's just a car, people get so bent out of shape about letting people drive them, I have a new modded m5 as my daily driver and I let my gf drive it when i'm not around, and a 600hp+ whippled cobra and if my friends have experience, don't mind letting them drive it...In the end, they are just metal.

Striped97

Established Member
Got the estimate from an alstate drive-in. 1500 for the front and back bumper and exhaust. It looks like they were trying to say the pipe can be fixed (BS, like the said above, i'm going to take it to the shop and tell the shop to make sure i get a compeletely new catback). Turns out where the front bumper attaches, one of the brackets broke. So the guy said he included time/labor for that and re-adjusting the headlights. Which makes me think i might buy some HIDs and have the shop install those on the rebuild (i'd see how much extra they'd want me to give them).

Users who are viewing this thread