Dan Wheldon killed... RIP

NJ03SVTCobra

Addicted Open Tracker
Established Member
Dan Wheldon was killed today at the final race of the IndyCar season in Las Vegas. He was an awesome driver, and will be greatly missed. RIP.

DHG BULLITT

Try to find Mr. Warren G
Established Member
Good lord this is was disgusting to watch. The ovals belong to the NASCAR guys and the speeds at which these open wheel cars travel around these tracks at 2 and 3 wide it's a ticking time bomb until we lose another great driver.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I didn't see the race or crash but have been watching the post race on ABC. The tenseness you could feel carried the seriousness of Dan's condition. Hearing the news he had died was hard. Whenever we lose a race car driver it is painful. So sad. And such a young driver. I pray that the peace and love of God surrounds and comforts his family and friends. So sad.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
really sad news, was always a big fan of him. IRL has always seemed like the scariest racing series out of any i can think of. those insane speeds on banked ovals in open wheel cars, it's just crazy. that being said, these drivers know the risks. really sad though.

megameGT500

Suck it up and drive on!!
Established Member
This was a terrible crash. His car caught the catch fence from the cockpit side. RIP Dan Wheldon

Boomer182

Haveyoutriedhittingher?
Established Member
I heard about it through my NY times app. Very sad. RIP

Kiohtee

Established Member
RIP Dan. Had a pretty good year going and was moving up today!

Planter

Banned
I watched the Indy 500 and saw him win it, he was one hell of a race car driver. He will be missed by fans and fellow racers alike. Thoughts and prayers to his family, friends and those in the racing community.

rip Dan Wheldon. :(

cobra_4

#PITS
Established Member
Small tribute video I put together for my website, thought I'd share it on here as well.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VWBju8Ne7M"]RIP Dan Wheldon Killed In Las Vegas IRL Crash October 2011 - YouTube[/nomedia]

THE_STIG

Established Member
Always a horrible day when we lose a member of the racing community. My thoughts and prayers are with his family.

bdcardinal

I Spend car money on guns
Established Member
Premium Member
I was at the race. The entire track went silent when that accident happened. We were sitting with Charlie Kimball's family and they were hysterical until they heard him key that he was alright.

We knew it was bad when the medivac chopper started and then they brought his car back with a tarp over it. Paul Tracy said they kicked everyone out of the infield care center when Dan was brought it.

The 5 lap tribute was an amazing sight. There wasn't a dry eye at the racetrack when they were driving by. I don't know if the broadcast showed it, but they played "Danny Boy" and "Amazing Grace" with bagpipes over the public address system while they did the laps.

While I wasn't a big fan of Dan I had a great respect for him not only as a racer but as a person. You could tell how highly all the drivers though of him in their reactions after they left the drivers meeting and went to their cars for the tribute laps.

Kiohtee

Established Member
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2PMUNsuZWA"][HD] Dan Wheldon 5 Lap Tribute At Las Vegas 10-16-2011 - YouTube[/nomedia]

Users who are viewing this thread