Dark star torque spec?

ultrajetboat

Established Member
I finally installed my sway bar relocation brackets and put the dark stars on with the provided lugs/washers. I've read the posts about it being a pain in the ass, honestly mine went on piece of cake...until I had to torque them down. First I went snug, then went to 60ftlb and a few that felt snug broke loose and spun more than a full turn before getting tight again. After all were at 60 I went to 80 and again a bunch felt like the washer or lug broke loose and spun more, but eventually they all clicked at 80ftlb. I believe race star states to torque them at 85-95? I'm scared to torque them anymore, I feel like these lugs are just going to strip apart.

zachcrosen

Established Member
Are these the unilug or direct drill ones? I had the unilug Race Stars and I never could get them right so I got rid of them! Now I have the direct drill ones.

86merc

Established Member
The lug nuts they provide will strip well before the stud will. They are a soft aluminum. I always recommend, and use, McGuard stainless lug nuts & washers. Huge improvement in quality.

ultrajetboat

Established Member
Just went out to re torque them to 80...nearly every single one was loose, some took a full turn! Maybe I should take it up to 90?

86merc

Established Member
I always re-torque wheels after I drive them a few miles. None of them have never been more than a 1/8 turn, IF they were loose at all.

The torque spec is not the issue. Being you had a issue with how you tightened them and now all the lug nuts were a full turn loose there is another major issue. Like they were binding because the wheel was not squared up correctly. Or the nut was binding on the washer. Any way you look at it, one full turn loose on all of them is really bad.

Last edited:

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
I'm getting a set of this unilugs next week from someone here. I hope I have luck putting them on right.

86merc

Established Member
Get the hub centric rings. It helps aligning every thing up. But uni lug is a pain for sure. Poor hardware just makes it worse. The holes in the washers that they sell for their wheels are not drilled in the correct spot. Which could be part of the binding causing issues with the OP. That is part of why I recommend people buy the McGard lug nuts.

Last edited:

ultrajetboat

Established Member
It is definitely either the lug binding on the washer or the washer binding on the wheel. Everything actually went on and snugged with zero issues. It wasn't until I got them torqued that the issues came up. I had zero issues with getting the lugs on like I read about. I am ordering the better lug nuts/washers...just wanted to see what everyone else does in this situation...aside from sell them. They definitely look bad ass, and good god do the tires hook even on the street with no burn out. I got 295/55r15 goodyear eagle SS which I havnt seen anyone else on this forum use. I wish I could run them all year! Haha

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
well hopefully i will have luck with mine. i guess that people dont like the unilugs which is why people get rid of them for a good price. i need relo brackets still and tires so i will have time to inspect them before installing them. i was going to get weld RTs but right now they are to much money. eventually ill get them. fingers x

ultrajetboat

Established Member
Don't worry...I installed mine one lug at a time at 6 o'clock and they went on like cake. Just trying to figure out this torque thing, tomorrow I'll drive to work then torque them to 90.

Users who are viewing this thread