Darn 2nd gear lockout?

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Shifter pivot ratio is an altogether different animal. But I agree, the leverage advantage over what a stock ratio offers definitely inspires more confidence.

T3RMIN8TOR

Established Member
I know I have read issues on this before.but when I'm on my car hard in first and go to hit 2nd gear it won't go..really annoying. I have read a shifter helps but does not take care of issue.I plan drag racing this car once a month and I see this becoming a issue.

What have you guys tried or done to help issue.I know not trying to jamb it in gear hard helps some.I owned a SRT8 Challenger with same trans and never had a issue with it, plus this Shelby shifter feels aton better than the SRT8.

Problem started with the 11s and 12s. I've heard many guys using a WOT BOX and it resolved their issues.

heatsoaked12

Established Member
Problem started with the 11s and 12s. I've heard many guys using a WOT BOX and it resolved their issues.

I've also heard of the wot box blowing up stock mufflers. I have one to install but will probably sell it as I will always have mufflers on my cars..

Cman01

hello
Established Member
The arms really don't flex or bend. Aftermarket shifters may give you the impression that they don't flex by their sheer size. Any movement you can get out of the shifter while mounted in the car is primarily due to the bushings and not what you perceive as weak arms from the factory.

I guess what I meant to say is that when you hold them both in your hands the stock shifter where the bushings are on those 2 rods that bolt to the trans you can bend them towards each other with your fingers. The Barton in this regard is more solid in my eyes.

Went out last night and did a few more quick 1-2 shifts in the car still doing what I mentioned in the other post above.................no grind. Again it seems to work for me so give it a shot maybe it'll work for some of you too.

Derek@Lethal

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
The problem is being caused by the fact the shifter is mounted in rubber bushings to both the transmission and the tunnel/body of the car. This was done to isolate harmonics from the transmission from entering the cabin of the car through the stick. As the engine twists on the motor mounts under hard acceleration, it is also twisting the shifter in its rubber mounts where it is mounted to the transmission, but the tunnel/body of the car isn't twisting on the rear mount of the shifter. So you are actually are twisting the shifter now. Twist the engine far enough in the chassis and the shifter doesn't move in the proper manner, you then miss second gear.

I experienced this once.

I bought the Barton Shifter and have never experienced it again. Barton uses poly-urethane bushing in their mounts. They also machine the shifter out of aluminum and delrin. It is a very good upgrade in my opinion. I did gain some harmonics in the cabin.

Yup! A good shifter like the Barton unit and a high volume clutch line upgrade should take care of most shifting issues. Like mentioned, the stiffer bushings in the Barton keep and the billet construction keep everything aligned under load, and the clutch line lets the hydraulic fluid move the slave cylinder better and lets the clutch pedal return faster (to put it simple).

We also have these parts available, so if you have any questions, feel free to give us a call or shoot us an email! :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread