Dayco, Goodyear, Gates, serpentine belt

2003 Cobra

Established Member
I have a 3.2" pulleyand a 4080745 Goodyear Gatorback belt on that has developed light cracks around the entire inner surface where the grooves are. Concerned about these light cracks, I took the belt off and brought it to my local parts store. The parts counterman was really nice and ordered three belts for me to compare. He ordered me another Gatorback, a Dayco and a Napa/Gates belt.
The Gatorback has a truly unconventional pattern compared to the Dayco and Napa/Gates. The Goodyear belt, to me, felt the lightest in weight. Being that my Goodyear belt was only a few months old and had already developed cracks, I opted to pass on this belt. The parts guy said that the high underhood temperatures of the vehicle probably contributed to the belt drying out and cracking.
The Dayco belt had a plastic feeling on the belt, sort of like the feeling of touching a cheap set of vinyl seats on a 1960's era car. I would bet that the Dayco belt would crack easily just like cheap vinyl seats.
The Napa/Gates belt had a very conventional look and feel. The weight of the belt felt comparable to the factory Motorcraft belt and the texture of the rubber felt similar to the Motorcraft belt. I placed my money down and bought the Napa/Gates belt. Hopefully it will last a while.

2003 Cobra

Established Member
As a sidenote, I compared the 3 month old Goodyear Gatorback belt #4080745 with the new Goodyear belt and there is a size difference. Both belts are the exact same part number, yet the old belt is now slightly longer than the new belt; therefore, the GOODYEAR BELTS DO STRETCH contrary to what I originally believed.

03DOHC

Established Member
Originally posted by ALA G8R
Anyone know the Gates or Motorcraft part number for a replacement for the Goodyear 4080745?
Gates part# for a 74 1/2" belt is K080745.

finally

Established Member
I had bought a Gates belt from NAPA and the part number matched for the 73.5 belt but it was actually a 73 5/8 belt. Not a big deal but whatever company you go with, double check the length, some have it written on the belt itself.

a94cobra

Established Member
I have used some Dayco polycog belts in the past. I have had no issues. Never checked to see if the belt stretches though.

totaled

Established Member
I would highly recommend a Gates or NAPA!!!

Here is picture of the Dayco I was running:

Dayco.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread