DD Suggestions

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
I'll be that guy and recommend a used SHO/MKS. You can pick them up with reasonable miles for mid-20's or less. Tune it and they will run as fast/faster than your SRT8 while getting better mpg to boot. I run an LMS 93 race tune in my '12 MKS and it makes my daily commute a lot more enjoyable.

2016-09-05_203258600_654D9_iOS_zps2zhs545r.jpg

zak88lx

Future SVT *****
Established Member
I know this is a Ford forum, but I would suggest purchasing a Honda Accord Sedan with the V6 for that longer highway commute.

I purchased my new 2015 Accord Sedan V6 Touring model last spring, and I absolutely love it.
Great power with the 278-hp 3.5-liter V-6 engine and 6 speed transmission, all the tech you could need including lane monitoring, collision detection, adaptive cruise control, side camera and rear camera, amazing sound system, huge trunk and comfortable as hell.
I purchased mine new at the dealership all-in for $35,000 CDN ($26,235 US).

Since you have the dogs, you might also want to consider the CR-V or Pilot.
I have had quite a few Honda vehicles over the years, and they have always been reliable and long lasting.

2015_Accord_V6_Touring_zpsv4mjv9fk.jpg

2015_Accord_V6_Touring_2_zpsxozsms5b.jpg

nxhappy

Established Member

nxhappy

Established Member
I know this is a Ford forum, but I would suggest purchasing a Honda Accord Sedan with the V6 for that longer highway commute.

I purchased my new 2015 Accord Sedan V6 Touring model last spring, and I absolutely love it.
Great power with the 278-hp 3.5-liter V-6 engine and 6 speed transmission, all the tech you could need including lane monitoring, collision detection, adaptive cruise control, side camera and rear camera, amazing sound system, huge trunk and comfortable as hell.
I purchased mine new at the dealership all-in for $35,000 CDN ($26,235 US).

Since you have the dogs, you might also want to consider the CR-V or Pilot.
I have had quite a few Honda vehicles over the years, and they have always been reliable and long lasting.

2015_Accord_V6_Touring_zpsv4mjv9fk.jpg

2015_Accord_V6_Touring_2_zpsxozsms5b.jpg
the accord is very nice.

Sn95Snake

Established Member
Many people think I'm just cheap ( I guess I am ) but I'd rather drive a super clean '03 Focus SVT that I buy for $4k...keep it for a few years...and sell it for nearly what I paid...than drop $400 a month for 3+ years and walk away with nothing. If you buy the right car that won't kill you with maintenance you can come out way ahead. I use the money saved for mods for our Mustangs.

I couldn't agree with the bolded statement more! I don't understand the idea of buying or leasing a new car that is going to depreciate tremendously or you walk away with nothing at the end of the lease.

01svtL

Established Member
Thanks for the replies, guys. It's given me some research to do.

My Uncle is the President of an auto group that includes Honda, so I've had a couple in my past. Even an 18,000 mi/yr lease on an escape sport with the 2.0t with zero down is still in the $360 range, as long as I don't get options I don't need (sunroof, 4wd, etc). I may look at buying a higher mileage Accord from him if he gets a nice one in. His son, my cousin, is the manager of the service department, and most buyers bring their cars back to that dealership for service, which means excellent service records. So there's a good chance I can get good insight on one of the used vehicles on his lot.

01svtL

Established Member
I couldn't agree with the bolded statement more! I don't understand the idea of buying or leasing a new car that is going to depreciate tremendously or you walk away with nothing at the end of the lease.

You don't necessarily walk away with nothing, per se. The car is going to depreciate regardless. You can lease a car without the options you won't use without the worry of having to resell without options that may be desired by most others. I've bought and sold many cars (many more than is in my signature) and it seems there's always one or two options that my car doesn't have that 9/10 interested parties always ask if it has. It turns out to be a deal breaker for them. There are definitely situations that a lease makes the most sense. Especially for someone who likes to change cars quite often ... like I have been known to do.

Stevenbekah

Cobra bitten
Established Member
I'll be that guy and recommend a used SHO/MKS. You can pick them up with reasonable miles for mid-20's or less. Tune it and they will run as fast/faster than your SRT8 while getting better mpg to boot. I run an LMS 93 race tune in my '12 MKS and it makes my daily commute a lot more enjoyable.

2016-09-05_203258600_654D9_iOS_zps2zhs545r.jpg
Really? A tune and it's that fast?

D1984

Whining
Established Member
You can get a brand new 2017 Camry at 0% for 72 months with a $1000 rebate on top of that (in my region anyways, probably similar in yours), and in our region we are selling them more than $2000 below invoice on top of that. So you can buy for example an SE with a 24900 MSRP for roughly $20k. Add Tax and license and you're at a bit over 300 bucks a month with no money down. It's a boring car but you will get well over 30mpg, free 2 year maintenance, and decent resale value after you start racking up the miles.

Edit: By the way a Camry Hybrid gets 40mpg, will cost you a few grand more, but has the same incentives. Maybe the gas savings are worth it, haven't done the calcs

scott9050

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
I drive 120 miles round trip, bought a new Fiesta sedan as the beater. With gas savings over the Mustang (I get 42 regularly) and only $200 a month with 0 down it was basically free and keeps the miles off of my 5.0. Only cost a little over 10 grand.

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
You can get a brand new 2017 Camry at 0% for 72 months with a $1000 rebate on top of that (in my region anyways, probably similar in yours), and in our region we are selling them more than $2000 below invoice on top of that. So you can buy for example an SE with a 24900 MSRP for roughly $20k. Add Tax and license and you're at a bit over 300 bucks a month with no money down. It's a boring car but you will get well over 30mpg, free 2 year maintenance, and decent resale value after you start racking up the miles.

Edit: By the way a Camry Hybrid gets 40mpg, will cost you a few grand more, but has the same incentives. Maybe the gas savings are worth it, haven't done the calcs

One thing I've noticed between Toyota and Honda is that you get a nice set of options/extras/bells and whistles for a low price. Trim level to trim level and dollar for dollar you get more for your money with Toyota vs. Honda.

Drive a fiesta st. By far the most fun I've ever had driving!

They are fun little cars indeed. Surprisingly fast I would say.

D1984

Whining
Established Member
One thing I've noticed between Toyota and Honda is that you get a nice set of options/extras/bells and whistles for a low price. Trim level to trim level and dollar for dollar you get more for your money with Toyota vs. Honda.

Yes, economies of scale etc...even the most basic Corolla has Safety Sense P which is dynamic cruise control, auto high beams, auto braking/pre-collision with pedestrian detection, lane departure assist with steering, not to mention LED headlights standard too. And bluetooth of course but everything has that now

The 2018 Camry is getting all that stuff standard when it comes out around Nov. but you won't see these kinds of deals yet

nxhappy

Established Member
from what I recall the toyota's were way more money and didn't have the bells and whistles on base models. that's why we bought honda (better mpg too)

D1984

Whining
Established Member
Yes, economies of scale etc...even the most basic Corolla has Safety Sense P which is dynamic cruise control, auto high beams, auto braking/pre-collision with pedestrian detection, lane departure assist with steering, not to mention LED headlights standard too. And bluetooth of course but everything has that now
from what I recall the toyota's were way more money and didn't have the bells and whistles on base models. that's why we bought honda (better mpg too)

I don't know when you last looked, but most Toyotas now have way more standard features than Hondas. Prices are most definitely better too. Not to mention that the incentives are far better than anything Honda offers, plus 2 years of free maintenance which Honda does not offer

D1984

Whining
Established Member
Also each Toyota model has more airbags than the equivalent Honda model. Again, economies of scale. Honda likes to stick to the federal minimum on many cars. However personal preference I would much rather drive an Accord or Civic vs a Camry or Corolla, but doesn't make pure financial sense

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member

Well I'm not sure about the previous years but I have looked at trim levels and prices extremely closely between the two and Toyota came out on top with those things. Now Honda does have better gas mileage though.

D1984

Whining
Established Member
Well I'm not sure about the previous years but I have looked at trim levels and prices extremely closely between the two and Toyota came out on top with those things. Now Honda does have better gas mileage though.

Go through truecar and the kind of deals you can get on a Camry will blow your mind

Users who are viewing this thread