Dead battery

grabber08

Established Member
What kind of volts and amperage should I get doing a starter test? I got 249 amps and 10.05 volts. Please help!!!!

MG0h3

Established Member
Man I havent done this is so long I cant remember whats normal!!

Ha...quick search and I found V8 @ 250A and not below 10.0V

Whats the symptom? Id assume dead battery from your title...but the test results indicate otherwise.

grabber08

Established Member
Tried to start my 03,she was dead. Took battery to get checked. GOT 12.28 volts and 128 cranking amps. Charged battery to12.35 volts and 447 cranking amps and put back in car. Drove for about 20 minutes and checked again. Got12.53 volts and 504 cranking. Checked volts with car running and got 14.35. Checked amps and got 249.3 on the starter testa also 10.05 volts on starter test. What kinda amps should I have ? Starter does not drag at all. Got in car this morning and nothing. Just the click click click.

MG0h3

Established Member
all of the numbers look good to me.

I suspect that you have a draw that is killing the battery over night. Your charging voltage is correct, so at a glance I would discount that as a problem. Your numbers and the behavior while cranking look good. With all of that in mind, Id assume you dont have any connection problems. Id be interested to see voltage (with car off) after a few hours and then in the morning before trying to crank. I suspect you'll see a decreasing voltage.

Google "parasitic load test" for a explanation and some pictures. All you need is a voltmeter that can test for AMPS--Id suggest one that can go up to 10A if possible.

Last edited:

grabber08

Established Member
I read somewhere where volts should not drop below 11.4 what do you think about this number

5PNTSLW

Back on the Saddle
Established Member
if your voltage at idle gets anywhere below the 13-12.8 range you are running on battery alone and not charging, which is not good

hotcobra03

Established Member
Have the terminals been changed?

Very common issue with after market type with clamp holding the cable getting dirty..

click can also be bad starter. ..

ive had some last 2 times than go..

as to charging system..car can be push started if no crank..

Car will run if battery and alt are good..

will run with no alt and good battery untill volts drop under 12v

Last edited:

grabber08

Established Member
I can jump it and it starts. Let it run for 10 minutes ,shut car off and won't start on its own.

grabber08

Established Member
A little fyi. Car has 15000 miles and is basically stock. All wiring is still factory. No gauges or BAP. Pullied with tune , CAI,exhaust,springs and wheels.

MG0h3

Established Member
ok maybe I missed something. When you had it checked--what do you mean "got 12.28V"?

Do this, charge the battery with whatever means you have and unhook it from the car. If the voltage drops while its just sitting there, replace it. Its possible your battery has just had it. Those parts store guys will throw a ton of juice at it, test it, pass, thing will be dead by the time you get home.

grabber08

Established Member
The 12.28 volts was when I first had it tested at advance. That's when I got the real low cranking amperage.

grabber08

Established Member
I put new battery in car and performed parasitic draw test again using different multi meter. Got 1.5-1.7 draw. Hoping for something simple. Any idea how much radio pulls? computer? Going to start pulling fuses tomorrow. Ideas?

MG0h3

Established Member
damn man thats alot.

Something is running. You need to get under .250...like well under.

if your radio was on you would see it. Maybe a trunk light? You need to run the test with the key in the off/not acc position.

hotcobra03

Established Member
A new battery with bad alt car will run tops 15 to 20 mins...

pumps draw alot of power..

What was voltage at battery with it running...you have a meter

grabber08

Established Member
Got battery home and installed. Started let run for 5 min. Shut off and pulled negative terminal to perform parasitic test.doors shut ,trunk shut,no lights on.

Users who are viewing this thread