Dealer said vibration normal

sapper

Established Member
I took the 03 in for service on the vibration issue. Remember, you can not feel it, but at speeds over 80 the rear view mirror shakes enough that everthing is blurred. The mirror is tight and is not the problem. There is also a quiet low droning noise from the transmission at this speed.

The dealer says that if the drive shaft had a problem, the vibration would be noticiable in the seat and steering wheel. :cuss:

Are there any documents from SVT that say this is a DS problem? Could someone email this to me so I can take it to the dealer. Or at least provide a name and number for someone at SVT with authority that will state that the mirror shaking is not normal and caused by the DS.

Thanks for any help.

KingKobra

Established Member
The 03 vibration is about as normal as a zit on a toenail. I'm calling BS on them. I do agree that this may not be directly attributed to the DS, since some people had them indexed, switched, etc, and still have the problem.

Simple fact that not everyone has it, but a significant amount do.

I'm still waiting for a recall or TSB or something.

Sorry to hear about your experience. :cuss:

demann

Established Member
That is just BS from a dealer that doesn't want to do the work. Or he is just very ignorant of vibration problems and analysis.

You will only feel something in the steering wheel if the problem is front wheels/tires out of balance or out of round.

Also, since the vibration frequency is several times higher for a drivetrain problem than it is with a wheel/tire problem, you won't feel it in the seat. The frequency is high enough that the seat foam will filter it out. Only lower frequency vibrations like wheels/tires out of balance or out of round can be felt in the seat.

The mirror vibrating, and the sound you hear indicates it is a higher frequency vibration, the kind that is caused by drivetrain components not being matched properly, or being out of balance, or having excess runout.

Check this link out:

http://home.hiwaay.net/~ctfrench/Driveline Vibration.htm

Hope this helps.

byevette

Momento Mori
Established Member
There are many posts on what to do...do a search.

Have the service guy\gal call: 1800fordsvt and they will tell them to replace the ds for you. This is what I did and I now have a new ds with no vibe.
Good luck.

:beer:

Snakin

"No Worries Mate"
Established Member
G'day all, I have only just joined these forums but have been reading a lot for the past few weeks and it is the best source of info out there. Just wanted to add my 80mph vibe news, I have the same problem and only today took it to the dealer who called SVT to verify their acknowledgement, which they did, and now I am about to go pick it up after they call and tell me that their head mechanic looked at it and I had too much air in the front tires !!!!!

Guess I got some more work to do to get this fixed.

03DOHC

Established Member
Originally posted by n2fords2003
Dealers think everything is "normal" unless its hanging off or smoking. I cant stand them! Get a rope
:lol: :lol: And then they'll act like it's your fault it's hanging off and smoking!:cuss:

sapper

Established Member
Yeah, I am sure that SVT designed the car to have a vibration at speeds over 80mph which makes the rear view mirror useless. Normal my @ss!

I don't get why they would try to avoid doing something about it, they do get paid to make warrenty fixes.

byevette

Momento Mori
Established Member
Originally posted by Snakin 69
G'day all, I have only just joined these forums but have been reading a lot for the past few weeks and it is the best source of info out there. Just wanted to add my 80mph vibe news, I have the same problem and only today took it to the dealer who called SVT to verify their acknowledgement, which they did, and now I am about to go pick it up after they call and tell me that their head mechanic looked at it and I had too much air in the front tires !!!!!

Guess I got some more work to do to get this fixed.

I don't understand, if SVT said change the ds, then why are they looking for excuses not to?

Snakin

"No Worries Mate"
Established Member
Apparently they have to go through a verification procedure, to make sure that's the problem, at least that what I have been told.

Lo Pony

Established Member
They have to do the tires, THEN the driveshaft....it's a PITA, but they'll make you wait on it till it's diagnosed.

GreyCobra_03

Lurch
Established Member
Ya, I stood in the service dept. and screamed like a 4 year old until they ordered it. I made them call SVT (1800FORDSVT) and they still did not want to order the D/S, or even go with me on a test drive. So I went to the salesperson who sold me the car (no I havent filled out the survey yet, use that as bait) and he came over and yelled with me until they ordered it. Just keep banging them on the head untill they fix it.

§ilver§nake

Quiet Thunder
Established Member
their head mechanic looked at it and I had too much air in the front tires

I found the same thing on my own; I had 42 lbs in mine, COLD! :eek: The back tires were fine.

When I bled off the front tires, the vibes were not as bad; but they were still their.

Users who are viewing this thread