Dealer VS Kelly Blue Book invoice price doesn't match?

andymarkv

Established Member
I was pricing out a new premium V6 car for my wife and made an offer of invoice for it and the dealers invoice price was $532 higher? Is kelly blue book wrong?
2011 Ford Mustang 2-door Premium Coupe Pricing With Options - Kelley Blue Book

We were looking at a premium coupe, V6, manual trans with options;
201A Exterior sport appearance package
53B Comfort/heated seats
453 3.31 gears

The dealers and KBB's MSRP price was the same at $27,980
But the dealers invoice price was 26,466 and KBB is $25,934
With the current $1500 in rebates the price from the dealer is $24,966+TTT which still isn't bad. I'm just curious why the invoice prices are different.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
KBB is a joke. Ask any car sales person. I was once one myself.

andymarkv

Established Member
With the options you described the price with $1,500 rebate should be $23,584.

KBB invoices are not that accurate in my experience.

I used this chart as a reference for negotiations on both my 2011 Mustang purchases and it was pretty much dead on:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/2011-mustangs-354/699107-2011-mustang-price-guide.html

True, but when you add the $850 destination charge.....the invoice price is the same as what KBB quoted.
Unless there is a factory to dealer price change we don't know about....they're nailing me another 500 bucks. I still think its not a bad deal. But I'm hoping to do better.

CAPTAIN JACK

Established Member
KBB does not sell or buy cars, factory charges dest. charge and dealer advertising as well as gas fee to all cars shipped. I see people coming in with their print outs from the
net and can't understand why the numbers are not the same....duh.

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
KBB does not sell or buy cars, factory charges dest. charge and dealer advertising as well as gas fee to all cars shipped. I see people coming in with their print outs from the

exactly, if you want to know the price of the car, the dealer will surely be more accurate than kbb, since the dealer has the real invoice lol

andymarkv

Established Member
exactly, if you want to know the price of the car, the dealer will surely be more accurate than kbb, since the dealer has the real invoice lol

Well I took their word for it and bought it.
Still seems weird that the price list stickied at the top of the page and KBB is the same. The dealer is odd man out and $500 higher.....But from what you guys are telling me all dealers play on the level....right?

I will be pissed if I figure out they lied to me.

Car is coming out of NJ and should be here tomorrow. Its my wifes first new car and she's pretty excited. I'm going to throw my GT500 wheels on it just for grins. Should look good.

z28th1s

The 5.0 is Back!!!
Established Member
Still seems weird that the price list stickied at the top of the page and KBB is the same. The dealer is odd man out and $500 higher.....But from what you guys are telling me all dealers play on the level....right?

Car is coming out of NJ and should be here tomorrow. Its my wifes first new car and she's pretty excited. I'm going to throw my GT500 wheels on it just for grins. Should look good.

Congrats :beer:

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator

+1. I would tell people to click the buy it now button on KBB when then brought in their trade value.... They had a really confused look on their face.

Terry, I imagine you deal with this kind of stuff every day.

Don't be pissed, you did your homework and the dealer gave you a fair price. In the end, you must have been ok with it as you bought it. Congrats

what is trade in based off of?

What the used car manager will pay for it!!

auction value

Yes in most cases, I did not put auction values on Diesel's back in summer of 08' when fuel was out of control. I did pick up some killer trucks for about 10k back of book though :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

Users who are viewing this thread