decided im buying a ecoboost f-150 but can anyone talk me out of it to buy the v8?

hockeylover86

Established Member
One thing I do not understand is that people will dismiss the F150 yet hop on a SD bandwagon so quickly, not saying you are but it reminded me of something.

Nobody would hesitate to say that a F250 from day the mid-late 90s is great for towing and capable. You look at a current F150 EB dimensions, power, and other things it is even with a 90s F250. The current F150 has bigger brakes, most likely a more capable trans, the same track width, almost the same power stock.

Thats not where I was going, I was just pointing out that the person who commented that the fleet F150's he was running didnt make 200k probably should have been running 6.2 SD's, due to the daily hard use and extended idle times. SD's do have more durable powertrains.

As far as the new ratings, I do think they are overhyped. I have an 07 LBZ Dmax, and the ratings of some new F150's are pretty close to my trucks on paper. Real world which do you think will perform better?

Of course if you live in a city or urban area a SD would be physically harder to manage, gets worse mileage, and isnt as "car-like".

For a new F150 I would lean toward the V8 due to its simplicity and durability.

CompOrange04GT

Anyone have a strap on my girl can use on me?
Established Member
We get fleet F150's cause they are cheap, BUT.. I think that they are realizing that buying a new truck every 3 years, and replacing it with a cheap new truck isn't the best idea, so they are are looking into F250's in 2018.

Why not get a diesel that will last 5-6 years, instead of the 3 years.

Hell, the engine isn't even the major issue. It's the abuse that is put on the suspension parts that are the biggest issue. Sure the F150/Silverado we get are " 4x4" but these base model trucks aren't fit for dirt roads with holes the size OF a truck, and constant beating down crappy dirt roads.

Dont get me wrong, the EB truck hauled ass, and all that. But
1. Never once did I really get better gas mileage in my EB than my 5.0
2. It cost more to get the EB truck that didn't last as long as a 5.0

My first truck when I came to the company was a 2012 or 13( I forget) 5.0, it made it to 215k miles when it started falling apart. With another few thousand I can guarantee it would have lasted at least another 50.

So I got the 2013 EB truck. At 175k that truck was in the shop almost every other week. Probably due to more things under the hood that can go wrong of course. Don't get me wrong I absolutely LOVED the EB truck, just given the daily abuse put through it I wouldn't get an EB truck for more than a daily driver on normal roads.

hockeylover86

Established Member
We get fleet F150's cause they are cheap, BUT.. I think that they are realizing that buying a new truck every 3 years, and replacing it with a cheap new truck isn't the best idea, so they are are looking into F250's in 2018.

Why not get a diesel that will last 5-6 years, instead of the 3 years.

Hell, the engine isn't even the major issue. It's the abuse that is put on the suspension parts that are the biggest issue. Sure the F150/Silverado we get are " 4x4" but these base model trucks aren't fit for dirt roads with holes the size OF a truck, and constant beating down crappy dirt roads.

Dont get me wrong, the EB truck hauled ass, and all that. But
1. Never once did I really get better gas mileage in my EB than my 5.0
2. It cost more to get the EB truck that didn't last as long as a 5.0

My first truck when I came to the company was a 2012 or 13( I forget) 5.0, it made it to 215k miles when it started falling apart. With another few thousand I can guarantee it would have lasted at least another 50.

So I got the 2013 EB truck. At 175k that truck was in the shop almost every other week. Probably due to more things under the hood that can go wrong of course. Don't get me wrong I absolutely LOVED the EB truck, just given the daily abuse put through it I wouldn't get an EB truck for more than a daily driver on normal roads.

I can't imagine fleet F150's would be much cheaper than fleet SD's, unless you were getting a base n/a V6.

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
Chevy says If you drop a tool box in hard enough, ... that shit'll go right through the bed ... :eek::eek::rolleyes:

Chevy also has ridiculous commercials where yuppies think an Impala is some sort of luxury car. The commercial where the tools are in a room and all of the award winning vehicles appear is embarrassing.

CompOrange04GT

Established Member
I can't imagine fleet F150's would be much cheaper than fleet SD's, unless you were getting a base n/a V6.

I think the 250's they are looking at, my boss quoted around 55k-60k.

Not sure what options/motor that comes with

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
For that price must be 6.7 Diesels.

My local dealer has 6.2 4x4 crew cab XLs for 38k.

XLT's for 45.5k

Hell the dealer by me has lower trim level STX 4x4 6.7 diesels around 45/46. Oddly their 6.2 trucks are on average only 2-3K cheaper, I'd pass on that and go for a lower trim level 4x4 diesel.

hockeylover86

Established Member
Hell the dealer by me has lower trim level STX 4x4 6.7 diesels around 45/46. Oddly their 6.2 trucks are on average only 2-3K cheaper, I'd pass on that and go for a lower trim level 4x4 diesel.

He mentioned lots of idling time, a disaster for a modern diesel with DPF/SCR.

6.2 gasser fits that much better.

CompOrange04GT

Established Member
He mentioned lots of idling time, a disaster for a modern diesel with DPF/SCR.

6.2 gasser fits that much better.

Today for instance.

Drove to a site. took me 1.5 hours

then 4 hours of idle time

1.5 hours to another site

5 hours of idle time

then drive home

Lundy37

lundy
Established Member
took a deposit on my car yesterday. quick question is there any big diffrences between the 2014 and 2015 f-150? other then the headlights and a few other minor things??
ive really had my eyes on finding a 2014 f-150 with the fx2 or fx4 package.

stang910

Established Member
15 is a complete redesign and aluminum. I've owned both and like them both, but prefer the 15+. Look at both and get whichever you like best, just don't sell yourself short by looking at one specific model.

badjuicedgt

Established Member
we went and drove the 3.5 eco and the 2.7 eco and the 2.7 has a faster 0-60 times then the 3.5. We ended up buying the 2.7 and have been pulling my 24ft enclosed trailer with the cobra inside with no problem at all. if I wasn't going to buy an ecoboost in a truck id get a limited with a 6.2.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
I bought a '16 3.5 EB King Ranch last year and I love it. It's an awesome truck with plenty of power and good fuel economy. Zero issues so far.

Users who are viewing this thread