decided im buying a ecoboost f-150 but can anyone talk me out of it to buy the v8?

TK1299

Meh
Established Member
Premium Member
View attachment 96399 GT 350 uploaded on a Uhual pulled by my 6.2 L.

image.jpeg

93 Cobra hooked up to my 3.5L ecoboost FX4. Doesn't break a sweat

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
The aluminum bodied F150s hold up better in rollovers than Silverado shit wagons. The cabin remains intact whereas the cab on silverados gets crushed considerably. I have heard rumors GM would be going to aluminum bodied half ton truck soon themselves. That makes those commercials where they drop shit from considerably heights into the bed look silly if they will soon be following Ford with an aluminum bodied truck.

Vid, ignore the commentary, guy bitches about how jagged the aluminum is, but it clearly did better than the GM.

Ability to repair a vehicle after a rollover is irrelevant.

That roof cage area of the F150 is absolutely stout. Yes, the aluminum buckled, shredded as he called it. But that cab was INTACT. THAT is what saved the lives of those occupants. The airbags prevented major trauma probably, but it was the strength of the roof's design that kept it from being fatal. The damage to the aluminum absorbed the energy and teh design of the frame redirected some of the impact energy.

The silverado crumpled like a beer can. Anyone that may have been in the back of that silverado would be dead. I could care less about how fenders and a truck bed look after a rollover accident.

The man doesnt know it, but he just made anyone that watches that video a believer in the strength of the new design of the alulminum F150. A roll over instantly junks a vehicle in my opinion. That F-150 saved those lives. The Silverado's "all steel" construction fared worse.

M91196

Established Member
2016 F150 5.0 here for most of the reasons the Ford techs in the video pick them.
I am betting the engine is not being run near its limit and hope to see 150-200K miles before the aluminum body turns to dust.

Dirks9901

Paint>Vinyl
Established Member
Premium Member
My dad had a 15 3.5EB. In one year it was back at the dealership 8 times under warranty. Has had zero issues with his 16 5.0.

After driving both quite a bit. I liked the 5.0. Felt better, sounded better and got noticeably better mpg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blk02edge

Established Member
My dad had a 15 3.5EB. In one year it was back at the dealership 8 times under warranty. Has had zero issues with his 16 5.0.

After driving both quite a bit. I liked the 5.0. Felt better, sounded better and got noticeably better mpg.

specifically what issues? out of the ton of ecoboosts I've witnessed friends and family own I havent seen one single issue with the motor. My ford tech buddy says he rarely works on them, just constant sunroof leaks lol

serious question, not a sarcastic reply

nxhappy

Established Member
get a 15 or a 16 3.5, you will love it. They haul ****ing ass with a tune.

nxhappy

Established Member
PS- only the 11's and the 12's had issues, with the timing chain, 13s and on they had fixed.

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
I was in the same situation, but I've ordered a 2018 Raptor to replace my current 2012 Raptor that I've owned for 5 years. My wife's got a 15 Explorer Sport with the 3.5 Eco and yeah, the gas mileage is like 16.8 AVG but it's a lot of fun to drive.

MovingZen

And I'm on my way!
Established Member
I traded in my 2002 Toyota Tacoma for a 17 3.5 ecoboost with 10 speed last week. I can't talk you out of the engine but I can tell you I'm amazed with this truck. As far as the video about what the pros would choose, it was kinda sad that some of those guys claimed towing as the reason they'd choose the v8. The ecoboost is rated higher in towing capacity. I may look into a tune down the road but I doubt I'll mod this truck. If I want to go fast I'll walk in the garage and back out the mustang.

Dirks9901

Paint>Vinyl
Established Member
Premium Member
specifically what issues? out of the ton of ecoboosts I've witnessed friends and family own I havent seen one single issue with the motor. My ford tech buddy says he rarely works on them, just constant sunroof leaks lol

serious question, not a sarcastic reply

First, the truck would just shut off. I would say this happened to him once or twice a week. You could simply put it in park and restart it but sometimes you had to disconnect the battery. Second it would always throw random codes. Once a month it would be a new one which seems like an electrical issue of some kind. Last, it also ate oil. About .5-.75 a qrt per 3000miles. Truck had 24k when he traded back in for a 5.0.

AAG

Established Member
I'd recommend buying a new '17 2.7 ecoboost with a heavy discount. It'll be brand new with a bumper to bumper warranty. Also, depending on what rear end gear it has, is equally as fast as a pre-aluminum F150 3.5 eco.

raustin0017

Established Member
My 2-cents. Own a 2012 EB F-150 Platinum with 32,000 miles (parked for 3-years while in Kuwait City). Zero issues with the entire truck. Great power when you want it and zero headache with it being stock. Like most Truck buyers...it took me a while to wrap my head around driving a V-6 in a full size truck but after driving all the competition at the time....EB was the only choice for me.

Users who are viewing this thread