Decided to paint my Terminator...

BlownCobra32v

Kickin' back
Established Member
Well I just bought the car in December and wasn't a big fan of the Sonic Blue with silver stripes (the original owner had them painted on)

So I decided to tear it apart and re-spray it......

When I first bought it

After spring,wheels,exhaust (roughly 2 weeks after purchase)

Then the urge to tear apart I couldn't resist...

Then I had to choose my weapon.....

Only the best materials of course.....

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Basecoat only, waterborne 90 line 2 cts, 5 min flash....done

Clear...

Quick pic of the vertical surface on the side of the front cover....

Just an idea of the color combo using my 3M SunGun

Finished pics when full assembly is done ;)

it was a lot of work it took me 12 hours yesterday not incuding the stripe that I laid down the night before.

2.5 coats of stripe color
2.5 coats of ground color for blue candy
5 coats of candy mid coat (sprayed in a cross coat pattern Ughhh)
2 coats of black
All basecoat used was Waterborne, Glasurit 90 Line(black) Onyx HD ground coat & stripe, Carizzma candizz

3 coats of high solid clear, 1st coat med/wet with a Sata 3000 HVLP for the initial over atomized coat, 2nd & 3rd coat with a Sata 3000 RP for a nice full wet coat to fill in any peel.

All I have left to do is out line the stripe by hand with some one shot pin stripe paint, probably next week some time...then assemble

PART 2

Here I started sanding 1000 grit wet

Just a quick buff on the fender edge to show final gloss

Last edited:

mooch29

Low n' Slow
Established Member
That's gonna look sick! Can't wait to see the finished results

frog

Coupes without wings
Established Member
just out of curiosity, you took the time to pull everything else off the car, why leave the A and C pillars on?

autumn_again

Established Member
hey how do you like the glasurit waterborne base coat? we use cromax pro at my work, just wanted to see how it compares.

how well do the colors match on other jobs where your not doing an overall. how do they blend? do you have alot of dirt in the basecoat? does it take a while for it to flash? whats the application? i believe for the chromax pro its a coat and a half.

BlownCobra32v

Kickin' back
Established Member
just out of curiosity, you took the time to pull everything else off the car, why leave the A and C pillars on?
I decided to spray it that way due to the multiple coats of candy, I didn't want any difference in color or picture framing

hey how do you like the glasurit waterborne base coat? we use cromax pro at my work, just wanted to see how it compares.

how well do the colors match on other jobs where your not doing an overall. how do they blend?The color match is phenomenal, I believe most waterborne product are latex but BASF waterborne system (Glasurit or Onyx HD) is still Urethane like solvent borne systems

do you have alot of dirt in the basecoat?Never had a problem with dirt, I use 3M PPS system with filter in the lid without a paper pre-strain

does it take a while for it to flash?Flash time in booth conditions only is usually 5 minutes between coats, using a dry jet system I average a 3-5 min flash on a high humidity day

whats the application?1st coat wet, 2nd coat med/wet, 3rd coat is just a drop coat for effect to even out the mottle like solventborne

i believe for the chromax pro its a coat and a half.

Dominion

I'm your Huckleberry..
Established Member
Looks fantastic. Not a fan of Sata and never have heard of Glasurit. But seems you have good results.

DVJ38

One mod at a time
Established Member
I'm looking forward to finished pics. How many hours has it taken you so far, and how many total do you think?

BlownCobra32v

Kickin' back
Established Member
Looks fantastic. Not a fan of Sata and never have heard of Glasurit. But seems you have good results.
Glasurit & RM is a high end product from BASF, definately not for someone looking for cost savings.Although they do have a lower end product Limco that is cheaper and has excellent results. I have just about every spray gun available from Iwata,Devilbiss and Sata....they all perform good, I just grown to love my Sata's

I'm looking forward to finished pics. How many hours has it taken you so far, and how many total do you think?

Hours total including prep and tear down, probably around 40 hours

I should have finished pics hopefully by next weekend, maybe the week after

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread