Decision time

Carl

Established Member
I can order a 2011 with Perfomance Pack price to me 50,700. A little less than I paid for my '08. Dealer offered 31k for the '08. Wanted a little more for the '08 but there is about a 2k tax advantage. I could sell it outright but would need to get a decent price to make it worthwhile. I want one but I don't know.... Drove a 2011 today and it's a different car than the '08, overall I like the feel better.

R1Lello

Established Member
wow......that's a big hit. Dealer always makes money....all those fancy dealerships don't get built without profit. I would try to sell private if I were you.

Carl

Established Member
Yeah it's a big hit... Was going to jump on it if trade was in the 35 - 36 range. I know the market is kind of flooded but with only 3k miles I thought I would do better. I may order it and it basically gives me about 2 months to sell the '08.

02GTKB

Nolimits
Established Member
Yea deff try to sell it yourself...the '11 you will not regret, just a overall better car than the 07-09 models...GL :rockon:

Carl

Established Member
Any thoughts on the Sterling Gray/Red Stipe package. I've had Blue's, Reds, and a Silver. The '08 is Vista Blue and I do like the Kona Blue but not sure about the red stripe on that one. Like Race Red with the white stripes but lot's of red cars around. If they did Race Red with black PP stripes I would do it.

02GTKB

Nolimits
Established Member
Any thoughts on the Sterling Gray/Red Stipe package. I've had Blue's, Reds, and a Silver. The '08 is Vista Blue and I do like the Kona Blue but not sure about the red stripe on that one. Like Race Red with the white stripes but lot's of red cars around. If they did Race Red with black PP stripes I would do it.

They do have race red with satin black...so far 21 have been made in that color combo, i am sure if your dealer has an allocation they can order you one in that color...

Carl

Established Member
They do have race red with satin black...so far 21 have been made in that color combo, i am sure if your dealer has an allocation they can order you one in that color...

With the Performance Pack? I only see the white stripe with black accents listed.

stsltd

Established Member
Something else to consider instead of taking such a big hit on the trade would be to upgrade your car - consider going with a Griggs SS suspension - even with the upgrades to the 2010 and 2011, still not up to the ride of a Griggs - certainly worth the time to test ride one to find out - get the ride you are looking for without the major $$ hit

skyhighsd

Established Member
IDK if you ask me its not that big of a hit, for 3-4k is it worth your time to deal with the tire kickers and what not? To me, it would not be, but thats JMO. GL with your decision.

cobra1718

Established Member
I say ask for more money on your trade. I just traded my 08 for a challenger. I paid invoice on the challenger and the dealer gave me 33500 on my 8K mileage shelby. better deal can be had

10random

SVT Lurker
Established Member
In Texas your trade would net out to 33k, that does seem a little low for a 2008. I would ask for another thousand or two. I am guessing they are dropping the price on the 2011, and making up for it on your trade. However, as a private seller you probably won't see much more and it's never worth the hassle...ever. If you know someone personally who is interested then it wouldn't hurt to sell it for at least trade factoring in the tax break. Dealers get a huge hook up with the tax break and it makes trading the car in a viable option. It just sucks you can't get the tax break on a private sell.

BTW, I love the Kona blue with red stripes. If I ever decide to make the plunge on a 2012, that is the color I would get. The smaller stripes actually work with that color setup. I am not a fan of the smaller stripes otherwise. The only downside to Kona blue is keeping it shiny, not a low maintenance color :)

Random side note:
I would always order the car with stripes and do the delete yourself if you don't like them in the end. You don't get a discount for the stripe delete, might as well try the stripes out for free. Plus you get some nice contrast on the interior.

kevinp

Established Member
I dunno, you are looking at 33K with the tax savings, just depends if you think selling the car on your own is worth your time. It's not easy to sell 35K 'toy' cars these days. FWIW I was thinking of trading my '10 vert on an '11 coupe. My car stickered for 56K, they wanted sticker on the 2011 and were offering 42K for mine with 1300 miles on it. I decided to just keep the vert for a year or two and at least enjoy it before I give it away.

With only 3K on a 2008 all you did was keep the car nice for the next owner, seems a waste to loose that much and not even drive it. On the outside the 2011 is a nicer car stock, but its really the same car overall. You could mod yours to the same level and probably make a better car for less, but if you arent into modding the 2011 is a logical step up for sure.

In reality its probably cheaper the just buy the 2011 than mod yours to the same level, and you get a warranty too..

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
I would mod the 08 personally. The only thing you'll be missing is the 100lbs off the nose. All depends on which one you prefer the looks of and what you'll be doing with it.

Kewlv8

Established Member
I would mod the 08 personally. The only thing you'll be missing is the 100lbs off the nose. All depends on which one you prefer the looks of and what you'll be doing with it.

Agree..... the stock suspension and tune on the 07-09 are so bad that they barely performed on the same level as my SRT8. However, after a few mods, the GT500 is a totally different car. I still consider the stock supercharger on the 2011 as undersized, and will not upgrade until the 2.3 TVS is offerred as stock... which will eventually happen.....

kevinp

Established Member

Depends if you do your own work, if you pay someone to do all the mods the cost goes up pretty quick, especially if you have to do something over because you dont like it or want more. If you can do the work and do it the way you want its a no brainer to mod the the '08 if performance is what you are after. I think one of the bigger improvements is the interiors on the 2010+ and you wont get that modding the '08. 15-20K over a stock 08 isnt that unreasonable step up to a new car that performs better and is under warranty - at least the rear axle will be painted on the 2011 :D

Carl

Established Member
Thanks guys. I have several mods and for the most part it's where I want it. About the only thing I plan to do near term would be to drop it a little, but not much as the roads up here suck. I don't feel like trying to sell this car at this point and they are not going to budge on the trade and I can't blame them as it will be difficult to move. The price on the '11 is good but I'm in no hurry so for now I told them no thanks. I'll continue on with what I have for now. There are a number (7 that I know of) of 2011's at dealerships here and so far none have sold. There will be leftovers in the spring, just like the 2010's sitting around here.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
the deal on the 2011 is a really good deal thats only about 700 over invoice. i say try an sale your car 1st right away an go get the 2011

Users who are viewing this thread