Deep Sounding Exhaust Poll For 2004 Cobra

Which is the deepest exhaust? NON Pop & Crackle!

• Bassani Catback

Votes: 23 5.7%
  • Bassani Catback + Bassani X-Pipe

Votes: 93 23.0%
  • Magnaflow Catback

Votes: 55 13.6%
  • Magnaflow Catback + Magnaflow X-Pipe

Votes: 58 14.3%
  • Bassani Catback + MAC Prochamber

Votes: 5 1.2%
  • Magnaflow Catback + MAC Prochamber

Votes: 31 7.7%
  • Stinger Catback

Votes: 108 26.7%
  • Stinger Catback + MAC Prochamber

Votes: 59 14.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Rev

This Space For Rent...
Established Member
Ok, I've searched, read, reviewed, searched more, viewed video clips, and listened to sound clips from Albequerqe to Zimbabwe.

Here is my question:

Out of the following exhausts which in your opinion is the deepest sounding. When I say deep, I mean old school muscle, not exotic/nascar/european.

Which of the above exhausts is not raspy, poppy, or crackly. I am looking for deep and loud.

For those that vote, thank you, and feel free to post.

Last edited:

FuryShift

You are slow.
Established Member
But they are shite for hp, I would love to help you out but I am partial to the "raspy crackle." Nothing pisses me off more than to see a stock Mustang roll by with dumps thinking he is a hardass in his dumptruck boat sounding 4x4. So, I like the exact opposite. Don't get me wrong, a deep tone is nice, but is often taken too far. Nonetheless, the magnaflows are nice, pretty sure they put out the most hp, and have a nice sound similar to what you are interested in. No one can help you find a sound you like though, I suggest just listening more and testing more combinations until you find a pleasing median. Just my opinion so take it as is. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

ChicagoMike

Modification Addict
Established Member
The "pops" and "crackles" are apparent in all aftermarket exhausts. I had a Borla system on my Saturn and it did the same thing. I was concerned, and here's the answer I got:

The pops and crackles are a result of some left over fuel igniting in the exhaust system. This is normal of a more free-flowing aftermarket exhaust.

So if you don't want crackles and pops .. leave the stock system on....

In my opinion, the Bassani with stock H sounds deepest, but still crackles and pops a but. When heard with the X pipe, there's a lot more crackling and popping going on.

Free'er the flow, the more pops and crackles. Deal with it.

Borla Stinger makes the most HP according to people.

NeedForSpeed

Established Member
hmm............ I think the longtube\H-pipe set-up with the magnaflows sounds pretty damn good when the pedal is to the floor. I can't wait to hear it again with the gutted cats and all the changes I'm making.

Quiet at idle..... and then jeseus chirst thats loud and wot .... lol

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
The voting is definetly not going towards deeper/no crackle system. I have Bassani X and CB and it crackles a lot and changes to a higher tone in upper revs. To me it is perfect, you apparently disagree, thats cool.

I voted Mac/Stinger

O/R H and Flows is deep or O/R H and those retro glasspacks that I saw on here a while ago. They were made in Michigan too. Bad case of CRS today.

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
Originally posted by FuryShift
But they are shite for hp
Are you talking about Flowmasters on a 2003/4 Cobra? If so, I am satisfied with 397 RWHP with a 9" cone filter and Flowmaster AT catback on my otherwise stock 2003...

Also love the non-crackling, musclecar burble they produce with the stock H-pipe :thumbsup:

Silver03

Established Member
Originally posted by Blue03Cobra
Are you talking about Flowmasters on a 2003/4 Cobra? If so, I am satisfied with 397 RWHP with a 9" cone filter and Flowmaster AT catback on my otherwise stock 2003...

Also love the non-crackling, musclecar burble they produce with the stock H-pipe :thumbsup:

I did that on my '02 GT, the loss of low end was VERY noticeable, although it did sound good.

yeasure

Old School ModularMan
Established Member

Hmmm....i made over 400rwhp with just a CAI alone(stock exhaust).
I bought borla stingers that are being shipped this week.
Give me a week or so and i'll have mine dyno'ed and we'll see what the borla exhaust can really do.
If it's true about the borla exhaust i should be in the 430rwhp area with nothing but stingers and CAI.

caveman6666

V8 Ford, V Twin Hogs.
Established Member

Ditto. 400+ and the best sound out there. Magnaflows sound like a fartpipe compared to them.

CraZeeSTanG

Established Member
Mac Catback with Mac off road H or Mac prochamber is what you want. Sound like muscle car deep and aggressive.

-Zee:rockon:

Rev

This Space For Rent...
Established Member
Originally posted by CraZeeSTanG
Mac Catback with Mac off road H or Mac prochamber is what you want. Sound like muscle car deep and aggressive.
-Zee:rockon:

You think I am stupid? They will hear me in the next dang county with that setup :eek:

hj16

Established Member
Kooks LTs / Catted H / Magnaflow CB

Loudest, best sounding exhaust I've ever heard on an 03.

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
I love my Stinger system, its deep, but no drone, however that is with a stock H. I have heard it with O/R x's and h's, and it only sounds right with an h. The bassani is deep, but only with the baffles in the tips, otherwise it becomes too poppy on the accel side, and just has too much of a euro tone to me.

Rev

This Space For Rent...
Established Member
Baffles in the tips? Can you explain that to me? Cause thats the direction I am leaning. How do you get baffles in the tips?

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
Originally posted by yeasure
Hmmm....i made over 400rwhp with just a CAI alone(stock exhaust).
If your numbers are SAE on a properly calibrated DynoJet, then you are the exception. Look at the sigs on the board. The vast majority of CAI/catback only cars (regardless of equipment brand) are right around 400.

Users who are viewing this thread