denso iridium questions???

lightning666

Established Member
well I bought some denso IT24s, for my JLP built block with stage 3 heads and cams, whipple. It should be pullied for about 17-18psi. Well I called the person who will be tuning it and they told me that those plugs are a risk to run because they could break off and fall into the engine and of course damage it. Well then I asked somewhere else about the gap, and how to gap them since the tip is so small, it looks like it could easily break. Well they told me not to gap them, and just put them in as is. I paid about $80 for these thinking I bought the best, but could I have just bought TR6s?:mj: Help, I gotta put these in tomorrow morning.

got hp

SVT Connoisseur
Established Member
you need to use an old school gapper or use a pair of needle nose pliers. If you use the round gapper, you will break those little tips. When I ran those plugs, my tips were missing after a year. Don't know where they went and really don't want to find out but with a new JLP engine, I would not risk it. My $0.02 I would go with the TR6's or the other NGK plug people use.

SADF

Established Member
Denso Iridiums own. Iridiums waay better than any copper or platinum plug. I did try a regular gapper and broke the tip on the first iridium I did. No problem (I manage a parts store!) I returned it damaged and got another one

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I use them and like them. However, I'm not saying they are the best or for anyone to run out and buy a set. Though they do work well for me.

CSHEETS

Lightning no more
Established Member
That is the only plug I will run my truck. I have never had a problem with them. They can withstand a lot of stuff.

1fsthd

Established Member
anyone used or heard of the Autolite XP iridium plugs? Looks just like the Dinso plugs and a little cheeper.. $6.50 each. part # is XP104 Anyone know of how much boost they can run with these and what heat range they are in? probley stock heat range right?

bgstew6

ResFirma Mitescere Nescit
Established Member
NGKs for 60k....no problems ever, my tunes have always been spot on as well....

CHIZ

GeoMetros worse nightmare
Established Member
Had them on the stang and they worked great. I was also advised that you do not have to gap them...also, if you plan on running nitrous you might want to try a regular copper plug.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
1fsthd said:
anyone used or heard of the Autolite XP iridium plugs? Looks just like the Dinso plugs and a little cheeper.. $6.50 each. part # is XP104 Anyone know of how much boost they can run with these and what heat range they are in? probley stock heat range right?

I used them in my Jeep and they made a huge improvment. However, the plugs that were in it were so bad it's a wonder it ran. I wouldn't run those plugs in the L though over the Densos even for half the price.

The Swede

How long is a string ?
Established Member
I use Denso, had TR6 for a short while but they dont perform like Denso.

662591.jpg

Courtesy of MMCustomworks !

Last edited:

Robert Francis

Established Member
I've ran IT-22's for about 4 years - just changed them a couple of months ago to another set of IT-22's. I never had any problems running them.

You always need to check the gap on the plugs "out of the box" - you never know what they're gapped at until you do this. In the 16 Densos's I purchased from 2 separate vendors, the gap's "out of the box" ranged from about .030 to .045. There's no trick to setting the gap on Denso's - just stay away from putting any pressure on the center tip. I use a side gap tool to adjust the side electrode and carefully check the gap with feeler gauges.

Users who are viewing this thread