Denver based Liberty Media buys Formula 1?

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
Wow, that's crazy. Hope they don't screw up the series any more than they already have. Maybe we can even get two races, COTA and Indy. Lose one of the shady Middle East stops.

4601S/C

Established Member
Heard about this. Nervous about the change over, but we'll see what happens.

Coiled03

Established Member
Last I heard no money had changed hands. But if true, long as they kick out Bernie's decrepit ass, I'm fine with it.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
I would be ok with Bernie leaving but they said he is staying.

If they built a track out in Colorado, I would die.

Blown 89

Established Member
They can't make it worse that's for sure. Hopefully Bernie has nothing to do with it when they take over

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
Bernie is retaining his position for at least 3 more years with this deal. He'll be 88 years old by the time his contract comes up again.

Maybe we can even get two races, COTA and Indy. Lose one of the shady Middle East stops.

I'm all for losing one of the middle east races, but Indy was one of the worst Grand Prix's in the history of the sport, imo. I'd much rather see them go back to the Glen.

Zemedici

Established Member
Dumb question - but how do these companies make these ENORMOUS cash transactions? They have that much free-flowing capital?

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
Bernie is retaining his position for at least 3 more years with this deal. He'll be 88 years old by the time his contract comes up again.

I'm all for losing one of the middle east races, but Indy was one of the worst Grand Prix's in the history of the sport, imo. I'd much rather see them go back to the Glen.

Hate to Admit it, but I agree with you. Maybe a new purpose built track in the Indy area. It is still the motorsports capital of the US. I can't remember which middle east race it was, but last year some of the teams were sleeping in the garages because they were afraid to leave the track and drive to their hotels. Sounds like a race that needs to go to me.

Shifty Powers

The Shifty Mobile
Established Member
This should be a good thing for the sport. At least I hope so. I wish Bernie would just leave already. His time is past and we need someone new.

Gringo185

2nd Civ Div
Established Member
I know it won't happen, but I would LOVE for them to go back to high revving, incredible sounding, N/A engines. V8, V10, V12, I don't give a damn. I am just tired of these terrible sounding turbo V6s and when it comes to watching racing, I could care less about fuel economy. Fat tires, big rear wing, and N/A power. It's not said very often in sports, but a couple of steps backwards would do F1 a huge favor.

With that being said, my driver, Massa, is retiring at the end of this season and as such, it is time to pick a new favorite driver for 2017. I think I've decided to go with Bottas. I love Williams (sure, it has a lot to do with the history of the team, but yes, it is currently primarily the Martini livery) but If he could get on one of the big 3, he would be a serious threat.

Coiled03

Established Member

Never going back to the Glen. Barriers are way too close to the track for the chickenshits they have nowdays. But, it would be fun to watch. Hell, I'd like to see them run Road America.....pipe dream, I know.

I know it won't happen, but I would LOVE for them to go back to high revving, incredible sounding, N/A engines. V8, V10, V12, I don't give a damn. I am just tired of these terrible sounding turbo V6s and when it comes to watching racing, I could care less about fuel economy. Fat tires, big rear wing, and N/A power. It's not said very often in sports, but a couple of steps backwards would do F1 a huge favor.

I don't know any fan that wouldn't prefer the older engines. But like you said, it'll never happen. Gotta maintain that "green" image, ya know? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

FocusSTGuy

Established Member
Never going back to the Glen. Barriers are way too close to the track for the chickenshits they have nowdays. But, it would be fun to watch. Hell, I'd like to see them run Road America.....pipe dream, I know.

I don't know any fan that wouldn't prefer the older engines. But like you said, it'll never happen. Gotta maintain that "green" image, ya know? :rolleyes:

Man the last iterations of the V10 were glorious to hear in person. I miss those. Even with a boring race the engines just gave you goose bumps every time they went by. Now a boring race is magnified by boring cars.

I will say though, the decline of F1 has made me pay a much much more attention to the Pirelli World Challenge. Holy crap there are some amazing races. I am not sure why I never watched even though I am a diehard for the Weathertech races.

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member

If they can afford $6 billion to buy majority ownership of the series, they can influence someone to inject some money into the Glen and update it to modern FIA standards, right? :lol: Like you said, pipe dream...

Road America would be awesome, too.

I'm personally really looking forward to next season. The new cars should look pretty sweet and hopefully it will juggle up the order. Lots of opportunity for new faces on the grid, too. Can't wait to see what Vandoorne does with a full-time ride.

Last edited:

Coiled03

Established Member
If they can afford $6 billion to buy majority ownership of the series, they can influence someone to inject some money into the Glen and update it to modern FIA standards, right? :lol: Like you said, pipe dream...

Road America would be awesome, too.

I'm personally really looking forward to next season. The new cars should look pretty sweet and hopefully it will juggle up the order. Lots of opportunity for new faces on the grid, too. Can't wait to see what Vandoorne does with a full-time ride.

Agree. I'm hoping next year is a major improvement. I'm looking forward to cars that look like race cars, instead of the slot cars we have, now. And I'm hoping Ferrari will finally get back to the top where they belong.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
They should hold a race in Road America, nice long straights perfect for DRS zones.

**** the glen. lol

Thank you! Road America is our SPA! Would be great to watch some real open wheel racing there, not crap wagon indy cars..For anyone that cares, those crap wagons came back to RA this year.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread