Detailed rotors/calipers

351c.i.d

Flame me will ya?
Established Member
Hey guys. I finally got around to detailing my front rotors and calipers yesterday. I did the rotors black and calipers red. Let me know what you think.
Still waiting for my exhaust..............

Last edited:

MattNCSU

Who sharted?
Established Member
dude, I need to do something about my rotors. Mine have rust on the painted part of the rotor, and it won't clean off.

What is involved when painting rotors?

351c.i.d

Flame me will ya?
Established Member
It's actually not that bad of a process if you don't mind spending the better part of the day on them. I love doing little things like this so for me I'm happier than a pig in...well you know.
After you get the rims off, there are two bolts on the back side of your calipers that need to come off. They are torqued down pretty damn hard from the factory, so you're gonna need some leverage on 'em.
Once those are off you can pry the locking washers off of the studs that go through your rotors. Those can be a pain as well. The caliper slides right off and so do the rotors.
I didn't want to deal with the headache of bleeding my brakes, so I left the calipers connected. This is where the process gets annoying. If you have no issues with bleeding them, then by all means go for it. It will cut down on time immensely. I left mine on though so i had to fanagle them to get the whole caliper painted.
I took my rotors and soaked them with brake clean numerous times, trying to get the bulk of the grease off of them. Then I washed them with hot water and dawn soap. One final rinse and some more brake clean and they should be squeaky clean.
I lightly scuffed the front rotors with some 240 grit sandpaper. The fronts are primered ok from the factory, so I had no rust. My rear ones look like they are gonna be a pain because they are rusted all to hell.
Once they are scuffed up with the sandpaper, I tape the bulk of the rotor off and spray the rest with high temp engine enamel paint. I chose low gloss black, but alot of guys are going with the color of their car. I let them dry for 10 minutes in between coats and put about 3-4 coats on their, and let dry for 3 hours before I reinstall them.
The calipers need to be cleaned thoroughly with brake clean as well. Get a rag and get ALL the areas possible, all the little crevices and valleys, that way the paint sticks. Then I cover up the wheel well with news paper and draped some plastic over the rest of the car and went to town on the calipers with red caliper paint that you can find from pep boys or auto zone. I then finished them off with a few coats of clear.
Let them dry as much as possible before handling them. Because if your decide to be a dumba$$ like me and try to put them on in a hurry, you get a few greasy thumbprints here and there and you wont be happy. Lucky for me they were on the backside.
Thats about it. I reinstalled them and let them sit overnite to cure.
P.M me if you have any questions
Thanks for the compliment Dave....my exhaust should be here wednesday.:thumbsup:

yeasure

Old School ModularMan
Established Member
Please repost the pics of your rotors/calipers......thanks

Users who are viewing this thread