Detailed specs of the 2013 5.0 engine? Anyone?

Humboldt1498

Established Member
i heard they used a different Hp rating system.

Where do people keep hearing this? The motor is not simply being re-rated.

My understanding is that it's things learned from building the boss motor. I believe it's related to the lubrication system. Maybe they got rid of the oil squirters?

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
It's all hearsay at this point. It's very possible that there are no actual changes at all. It could be that there are.

What is known is that under the current SAE rating system, a dealer must advertise their vehicle within 1% +/- of the SAE testing procedures. A company can use that allowance to market their vehicles with "upgrades."

For instance, if the SAE net figures produced during certification gave a number of 416 hp, that gives Ford +/- 4 hp that they can play with on their marketing. Start on the low-end and move up.

That's certainly not to say that's what is going on. There's a TON of possibilities including actual upgrades to the motor. Until Ford actually says anything specific on the matter, we'll probably not know.

Anyway, it's only 8 hp. There's nowhere near the difference to make the new car any faster. especially if it's added weight which is always a possibility.

Humboldt1498

Established Member
This is what Ford has said:

For 2013, the Mustang GT's 5.0-liter V-8 gets a power boost from 412 hp to 420 hp, thanks to lessons Ford engineers learned while developing the Boss 302's 444-hp engine.

TheCPE

Skeptic
Established Member
Sure... all they were able to squeeze out extra from what they "learned" with the boss was 8hp...

It is simple, the motor was underrated the first year so it could be rated higher in subsequent years to keep interest up. That is why people are putting 370+ to the wheels stock... You really think there is only a 10% drive line loss?

Churchkey

Established Member
Heard this from a guy who knows a guy etc.

For 2013: GT Track Package (55R) will include the Brembo Brake Package plus 3.73:1 axle ratio, the Boss 302 Radiator & engine oil cooler.

Users who are viewing this thread